Frogspawn lost it's bubbles

allarena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the hobby and just got a Frogspawn 2 weeks ago, and now one of the heads has lost it's bubbles. Is this something I should be concerned ? The other head seems to be fine.

Any help is appreciated.

20240429_101557.jpg 20240429_101537.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
how new/old is the tank? water parameters? any recent changes other than the addition of corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the hobby and just got a Frogspawn 2 weeks ago, and now one of the heads has lost it's bubbles. Is this something I should be concerned ? The other head seems to be fine.

Any help is appreciated.

20240429_101557.jpg 20240429_101537.jpg
This is known as polyp bailout and can be loss. This coral not ideal for a newer tank and often affected by too much water flow which will tear polyps off, high phosphate and nitrate as well as low salinity

OP
OP
A

allarena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how new/old is the tank? water parameters? any recent changes other than the addition of corals?
Tank activated on 1 week of March
for Parameter testing I use API and took them today
PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
No2 - 0ppm
No3 - 5ppm
Po4 - 0.25ppm
KH - 7ppm

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank activated on 1 week of March
for Parameter testing I use API and took them today
PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0.25
No2 - 0ppm
No3 - 5ppm
Po4 - 0.25ppm
KH - 7ppm
You’re showing nitrates which is a good sign because that means your cycle has been established, but ammonia is a bad sign. Has anything died recently? How many fish? Usually you want to get ammonia to 0 before adding anything but can sometimes spike based on decay (food, poop, fish death, etc..) but the idea is that the “cycle” bacteria will quickly turn ammonia into nitrite, then nitrate which is harmless to fish. A tank showing ammonia is either a bit too young still or something had died recently or overfeeding and your bacteria can’t keep up.

What sort of fish do you have and what else are you adding to the tank and how much (fish food, coral food, dosing elements, etc..)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw you need a better phosphate test kit. You also need an alk and calcium test kit.

OP
OP
A

allarena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re showing nitrates which is a good sign because that means your cycle has been established, but ammonia is a bad sign. Has anything died recently? How many fish? Usually you want to get ammonia to 0 before adding anything but can sometimes spike based on decay (food, poop, fish death, etc..) but the idea is that the “cycle” bacteria will quickly turn ammonia into nitrite, then nitrate which is harmless to fish. A tank showing ammonia is either a bit too young still or something had died recently or overfeeding and your bacteria can’t keep up.

What sort of fish do you have and what else are you adding to the tank and how much (fish food, coral food, dosing elements, etc..)
Nothing has died right now and I currently have 9 fish on the tank, I feed 2 pinch of NLS pellets 2 times per day and 1cm of frozen brine shrimp once per day

OP
OP
A

allarena

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw you need a better phosphate test kit. You also need an alk and calcium test kit.
which one would you recommend? this was a used tank I bought and previous owner gave me those, but I have been researching Hanna tester, but not sure since there are allot of different opinions out there.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing has died right now and I currently have 9 fish on the tank, I feed 2 pinch of NLS pellets 2 times per day and 1cm of frozen brine shrimp once per day
How many gallons is it? 9 fish is a lot for most entry level tanks, and 9 fish in about 6-9 weeks of setting the tank up is a TON unless you’re rocking like a 200gal system

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone here has given you great advice so far, I just would like to point out that it looks like what you have there is a Hammer, not a Frogspawn.

Hammer:
1714409784380.png

Frogspawn:
1714409837612.png

Notice the differences in the tentacles... One of them has a wide end and looks like a hammer, and the other has a bunch of protruding spheroids that look like a string of frog eggs (hence the name frogspawn). Functionally, their care is the same and they're both great corals.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it's 150 gal
9 fish isn’t terrible then depending on which fish, but I’d maybe suggest getting some bottled started bacteria to help get ammonia down. Dr. Tims is a popular one but most major aquatic suppliers carry their version. Can’t comment on the efficacy as when I started my tank I dumped like 4-5 varieties in figuring one of the would work lol

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back