Frogspawn/plate coral long tentacle/Torch coral impossible to keep

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of alk raising. Even baking soda not baking powder will raise your alk. You can not raise alk quickly or it will shock your tank. How much you add depends on how large your system is, including sump. It must be done slowly. So follow instructions.

I use hanna tester there is no guess work with colors. Just a number on the screen. Ph and alk are two important things that can fluctuate daily. Dosing is important as well as water changes. A good system needs to be dosed every day using one of several methods. Two part, you have one of the two parts with alk, is the easiest way.

You should get a tester or kit asap. Since the three alk, cal and magnesium need to be balanced with each in order for corals to use the calcium for growth. I now use a kalk drip which adds top off water as well as cal and alk. But my coral demands for alk are greater than calcium so i have to also use a doser.

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Tab28 for your valuable advices!! I have approx 145g of water in my system(sump+main)I will search for a kit,they are usually sold together in one box I will search,I am sure I would find.. I need them all,as I understood they are all related to each others.But tab28 do you have any idea if the product I bought is the right one? I couldn't find any information on google.but since the product says that you should test for kH when using it,doesn't mean that it is related to kH??Thank you!!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two part is a form of dosing. There are two bottles, you only needed one. Calcium is the other bottle. As a set they are dosed every day. Do not put alk and cal in at same time. There are several brands that sell two part dosing. They are always marked as either calcium or alk aka kh. It is telling you to check level daily because you have to be sure you are not dosing too much or too fast. Since they did not tell you your alk level it is hard to say how long it will take to get to a good level. But if your level was lower than the test kit could read. That may be why they could not give it to you. Once you get your alk in check with cal them the other part will be needed. Depending on your system and finances you should look into other forms of dosing. Two part is easy and some brands cheaper than others.

When you purchase test kits use a good brand. Read up all reviews that is if you purchase in store you have a choice.

You should be able to google 2 part dosing and plenty of info can be found on it. Brands names are not the real issue since most are about the same.

Last edited:

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 part system's of many are, part 1 Calcium to raise the calcium level in order to start adding carbonates after Calcium level is achieved. In your case you have enough Calcium to start bring the alkalinity up to the correct level. If you read the back of the look at the ingredients it should say it has carbonate and bicarbonate and that raises the alkalinity. After your alkalinity reached 8dkh the live stock in your tank will then start using the calcium to form calcium carbonate in their structure of growth, so dont be to shocked when you get your water tested again to find you calcium levels dropped down, it is normal, then you will need to add part 1 and 2 to keep both levels of calcium and alkalinity at Ca 420ppm/ alk at 8dkh. Now to your LPS then tentacles well need time to grow back in a couple weeks time keeping the Ca and alk right, along with feeding.

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!!Thanks a lot for all your reply! Now I understand what do you mean by the two part lolI am reading the articles thanks for the link! And I added a dose of the product,I will go really slowly.And this week I will get the test kit I will search for the best one availableThanks again!! I will let you know what will happen for sure! :D have a great week-end! :)

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!!Thanks a lot for all your reply! Now I understand what do you mean by the two part lolI am reading the articles thanks for the link! And I added a dose of the product,I will go really slowly.And this week I will get the test kit I will search for the best one available. Thanks again!! I will let you know what will happen for sure! :D have a great week-end! :)

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,how are you guys?! I have been dosing kh since few days,and my long tentacle seem a bit better.I have better expansion than before..the long tentacles stopped loosing tentacles I only lost half a head(when I post this threat) but the other half head that is still here doesn't seem to healthy.. these are few picture: image gratuite hebergeur d image image gratuite à télécharger Do you advice me to keep it as it is? or to cut the head?Thank you :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
double post..I have a problem on R2R,the format of the reply the forum doesn't read any ENTER and all the bar menu in the advanced reply is not visible anymore.. when I post my reply all new lines are deleted,I will contact someone from the team maybe they can help me

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it. If it is just really retracted it may come out. If not it will not hurt anything leaving it.

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Tab28! :) Thank you for your very fast reply! Deal I will keep it as it is.. I was just afraid that it may carry some sort of disease that can affect the other heads,but since they are behaving better when I raised the kh the problem should not be a disease but a parameter problem like you told me. Thanks again!! and have a nice day!! :) I will keep you updated about it. EDIT: Oh and my xenia is pulsing more than before! it is easily noticeable !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the other half is dead
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1413563118.721814.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the remaining heads survive. The flesh is receded on the better head. When the flesh wraps around the outside of the skeleton you know it is healthy. What is you flow in that area? Hard to tell with torches but if you can turn it down in that area and see if the polyps extend more. Have you been able to check alk levels?

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow is low in this area i don't have too much flow in my tank i only have LPS and soft corals,if the other heads are closed in the picture it is closed because the lights are going to be turned off in a couple of hours(i live in Lebanon it is 8:00pm here)
I am going right now to my lfs to test my water i will let you know about it :))
Thank you tab28!! Have a great weekend!!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have been very low. Are you max'ing the dosage! I believe you can safely raise your alk by 1.4 dkh per day. Remember that 2 part is for maintaining levels not increasing. What i mean is the directions may be for maintaining. There is usually a part of the directions that tells you the units will increase a certain amount of water by dkh

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Tab28,how are you?? :)I am not max'ing the dosage,I am adding half a cup every 2 days.and they say on the product to add 1 cup for every 100L. and I have a 600L. I am afraid to go too fast and harm my corals or the tank..I will send a mail to sera and ask because the description of the product doesn't say that much here is it is: DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Use the cap as a measure. Dose one capful each of sera marin 1 and 2 per each 100l. of saltwater into the aquarium.wait 2-3min between dosages.Do not raise the Ca level by more than 20mg/l (ppm) per day. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used that brand but it is alk and not calcium? It should say on the bottle. I just ask that since it stated do not raise ca level too high and not alk. Since the bottle is not for calcium.

You can safely raise you alk by 1.4 dkh per day. The longer your corals are the low levels the more stress. You need to be 8-12 in alk. I maintain the higher end for my tank. Because i have higher calcium levels.

A water change will also help raise your levels, not as quickly as dosing.

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will send a mail to SERA to make everything clear..I will let you know about all the information.I suppose the bottle number 2 : is alk (the one I have) the bottle number 1 is for Ca but since on bottle 2 they are saying to use them both together that is why I think they mentionned calcium.Anyway I will let you know about the reply,they always replied in a professional way.I should do a water change also you are right.. it will help! Thanks a lot Tab28! for your help! have a greattt week-end!!

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)I e-mailed SERA and they replied,but I didn't get a clear answer.. all what they said: "Dear Sir, Thank you for your email. Component 1 is calciumComponent 2 is the buffer Both these components make together calcium hydrogen carbonate which is becoming precipitated by corals, clams as calcium carbonate. This substance cannot be kept in one bottle in high concentration but can be only generated from two dissolved solutions. Calcium should be at approx 450mg/lKH should be at 8 degrees Follow instructions and please check results by Ca test or KH test. A weekly dose is recommended but mainly depends on the consumptions of the animals." .So I bought a new 2 parts dosing : Brightwell Aquatics - Reef Code A and Code B.I begun using the Code B(for kH) and wow! the torch coral is really expanding 2x more the next morning.. Here is a picture : hébergeur d image gratuit

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back