Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 87 52.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

Fusion has been a quest for scientists for a long time, and reef keepers have been able to achieve a type of fusion with grafted corals. These blended corals are the result of frags that are fused together and display the separate characteristics of the original pieces and yet are combined into a single colony. When done well, the outcome can be truly stunning! Grafted corals are a strong reflection of innovation and care of the coral keeper who grafted the coral as well as the potential beauty and contrast of the resulting blended coral piece. The uniqueness and (often) rarity of grafted coral colonies have made them highly desirable for many reef keepers. Of course, this may or may not be a universal preference. How do you feel about grafted corals?

WWC_GraftedCorals.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

For more information on grafting corals, please consider reading the R2R article about the Art of Coral Grafting.

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I more so have an issue with the term “grafted” in relation to corals.
None of them are actually grafted by the true definition.
Most just have some sort of protein infection (GFP as example) or have horizontally transferred genes.

Anything with multiple colors next to each other just seems to be named “grafted”

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Most just have some sort of protein infection (GFP as example) or have horizontally transferred genes.

Anything with multiple colors next to each other just seems to be named “grafted”
Yes, agreed. I don’t know of any “grafted” corals that are actually the result of two corals that were fused together.

I do enjoy the look of many “grafted” corals though.

gunnarmcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, agreed. I don’t know of any “grafted” corals that are actually the result of two corals that were fused together.

I do enjoy the look of many “grafted” corals though.

thank you both for answering a question I always had about the methodology of "coral grafting"

dank.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"Grafted" seems like just another money grab from unscrupulous coral vendors looking to tack a higher price tag on corals. The more sought after a coral is right now the more common it will be in a year or 2.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like grafted corals and I could see buying them. However, I just can't seem to pull out my wallet and pay $200 for a pair of $20 montis grafted together.

As the tank fills up my budget for corals rises. When I "need" 40 pieces I'm looking at my budget because 40 x anything is a lot. When I have space for a single new one, I'm Elon Musk. :)

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they're fully aquacultured, I don't see an issue with it. I like the color contrast and I think some of them look pretty awesome.
same. i think they look wayyyyy better than regular colored ones. i have the TSA nuclear fusion monti and its awesome. it looks just like the WWC grafted monti but brighter red coloration.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think grafted corals are awesome and are a great reflection on what we have achieved in the reefing hobby, I have two specimens in my tank currently, thanks to the pioneers at WWC and TSA, they have really created some nice pieces using this method, weather on purpose or by chance, some are very stunning, I myself am attempting to have two different grafted pieces combine together in my tank, fingers crossed! I especially like the TSA triple grafted montipora, just stunning!

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think grafted corals are awesome and are a great reflection on what we have achieved in the reefing hobby, I have two specimens in my tank currently, thanks to the pioneers at WWC and TSA, they have really created some nice pieces using this method, weather on purpose or by chance, some are very stunning, I myself am attempting to have two different grafted pieces combine together in my tank, fingers crossed! I especially like the TSA triple grafted montipora, just stunning!
oh do you have a pic? i have the TSA nuclear fusion monti and i LOVE it

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No pictures on me currently, but in the early stages of grow out, won't know for at least another couple of months.

WizardOfAAAHHHs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll buy some! HOWEVER, only IF the subsequent price stays within reason & whoever aquacultures it isn't getting GREEDY & DOING the grafting solely to garner SUPER ASTRONOMICAL prices! Keep operations at ground level & I'm onboard!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back