OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the sump, another thing checked off the list. Needs some modifying, but it's all good.

20150330_210703_zpsbigy9sbr.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always love your pics! Looking forward to the upgrade! :)

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, amazing tank. Keep it up. What camera setup are you using?
I use a Canon t3i, standard lens with the exception of macro shots, done with a 100mm/f2.8 lens.
Love the blueish white acropora next to ricordia in these pictures. Great looking piece.
Thanks! That's a Miyagi. Before I switched leds there was alot more green in the base, he's definitely getting snipped and moved to the new tank.

[emoji31] sad the ric garden isn't tho.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use an avast porthole viewer. Always shoot in raw format, always in aperture priority. From there it just depends on the depth of field I want. Mostly around f9 but sometimes as narrow as f2.8

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume post editing white balance? I need to stop being lazy and start playing with raw files. Thank you for the tips!

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good lord yes, with raw files you have a complete digital negative with all the information you would need to make corrections or adjustments. With your camera set to take a jpeg, you're loosing all that depth of info and get a flattened out compressed image. But even that will give you so so images. But with power comes responsibility, don't go beyond what the corals look like. You can run up saturation and contrast to make your frag look cartoonish. A pretty big problem these days across several forums. Use it wisely young padawan

Last edited:

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Yes I prefer the close to natural tank look. If I ever launch a fancy named coral site the saturation will be turned up!

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume post editing white balance? I need to stop being lazy and start playing with raw files. Thank you for the tips!
I was reading back through this today, I forgot to mention one very inexpensive, very useful tool that should be in every camera bag. It's a custom white balance lens cap. It fits just like a lens cap. Once you've gotten the camera set up for the shot you want to take, put the [WB] lens cap on, set the lens to manual focus, take a picture. Push the menu button, go to custom white balance, set as custom white balance. Super accurate and only slight tweets post editing should be needed, if any at all. Don't forget to put lens back in AF mode. I've tried all sorts of things for setting WB and this is the best IMO.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is officially shut down, everything either sold, moved to new tank or given away to friends. Was a great run, 3 years in a bio-cube. Now to take what I've learned the hard way and apply it to the new tank.

TTFN

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually doing the opposite and resurrecting my 30G as a backup/frag tank. Appreciated the camera tips. Please post a link if you start a new build thread.

OP
OP
TinpanVA

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out that this tank is being spotlighted in the official MACNA program book at this year's conference! That's pretty flippin' sweet! I only bought a one day pass (dangit) for the last day, so somebody needs to save me a copy! lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back