Getting back into the hobby: LED vs LED/T5....what's changed?

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are LEDs (g6, etc) ready for primetime? I used to run the Power Module 8 T5/LED hybrid lighting 48" and it was pretty amazing. At the time circa 2015, even the high end LED's made you dizzy to look into the tank and it all looked a bit artificial. Thoughts?

Are the new premium brands much better?
Is it time for me to move on to an LED only tank?
Ignoring cost, best brand for SPS tank? --I know highly subjective, was looking at Neptune Sky vs Radion Pro G6.

Other considerations? Is the Power Module hybrid still the way to go?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light delivery among the higher end leds have improved a good bit. That was a big weak point among earlier generations. Look into the reef fi lights. More of a small batch boutique offering. Very well engineered.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
About to pull the trigger on Radion G6 Pro XR30. (150g SPS tank). Between those and a hybrid T5 fixture with same LED. Is the hybrid worth it still?
I just got a tank after being out for 7-8 years. I’m now running the G6 XR 15 Pro and I think it’s ok. I miss T5/MH though. The “look” is different and will take some getting used to.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are LEDs (g6, etc) ready for primetime? I used to run the Power Module 8 T5/LED hybrid lighting 48" and it was pretty amazing. At the time circa 2015, even the high end LED's made you dizzy to look into the tank and it all looked a bit artificial. Thoughts?

Ignoring cost, best brand for SPS tank? --I know highly subjective, was looking at Neptune Sky vs Radion Pro G6.

LED used to be pretty "bad" from what I understood, but these new models and the new technique has made it very effective and cost/duration efficient from what I've understood.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LED is fine, but you need a lot of them otherwise in a crowded SPS tank you end up with a lot of shadowing.

At the moment I'm seriously thinking of adding a couple of t5 fittings to the tank

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to pull the trigger on Radion G6 Pro XR30. (150g SPS tank). Between those and a hybrid T5 fixture with same LED. Is the hybrid worth it still?

Initially. You won’t notice the benefits. Once you have larger colonies the addition of t5 tubes is helpful to color up the shaded bits the LEDs create through their point source nature

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top shelf LEDs are not the same animal that they were even a few years ago. IMO, an all LED "hybrid" is probably the way to go these days. Have your primary lights flanked by LED strips for fill.

I was hopeful that the AI Blade would be the new king of the hill for strip only lighting (replacing T5 altogether), but the spectrum isn't what I was hoping for and there are more QC complaints than I'd care to risk at the moment. I'd probably be willing to use them as fill lights with something else, but as a single light option, it's just not there yet for me... yet.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add... Just take the Sky off your list regardless. There are a lot of MUCH better options for a LOT less money and some really nice options for the same money.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not sure if you’ve already made a decision but new LEDs are loads better than they were back in the day. I just barely took the plunge to 100% LEDs 3 months ago. I’ve tried almost every major LED out there and the Blades are the best I’ve ever used. They do have some first batch woes and things they can improve but my tank went from halides to Blades and hasn’t skipped a beat. Growth is up, pH is up, consumption is up, they’ve been amazing. Can’t beat their price and coverage.

Ann Enomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank going to be open top, canopy or built in? If open I think the Radion is probably the highest output/spread of light with the cleanest look. If it's going to be hidden I like T5 kessil combo. Kessil is very similar to MH's as far as shimmer and you get the coverage from T5's

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add... Just take the Sky off your list regardless. There are a lot of MUCH better options for a LOT less money and some really nice options for the same money.
Curious why you don't like the Sky? I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why you don't like the Sky? I've heard nothing but rave reviews about them

Super, super narrow blue spectrum. It has more of a "450nm spike" than a lot of the cheap Chinese lights on Amazon. In order to get any width in the blue band, you have to adjust the main channel (450nm) way down which basically neuters the light for PAR.

BRS glossed over and downplayed all that in the initial review, but some of us were paying attention.

Then, when you figure in the cost, there are a LOT better options for the same or less (sometimes a lot less) money. I think with the current state of LED lighting, you'd have to really be a Neptune fan to buy a Sky at this point.

scottkoji

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super, super narrow blue spectrum. It has more of a "450nm spike" than a lot of the cheap Chinese lights on Amazon. In order to get any width in the blue band, you have to adjust the main channel (450nm) way down which basically neuters the light for PAR.

BRS glossed over and downplayed all that in the initial review, but some of us were paying attention.

Then, when you figure in the cost, there are a LOT better options for the same or less (sometimes a lot less) money. I think with the current state of LED lighting, you'd have to really be a Neptune fan to buy a Sky at this point.
thank you for this

davidrod8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running 3 Radions on my 7 footer for 6 months and thought I was in high heaven. Everything looked amazing. Decided to get a hybrid (Aquatic Life) and added 4 - 5 ft bulbs ATI blue plus...

waaaaaaooooo!

within hours, the difference was quite noticeable. Anemones and LPS open up to a point I hadn't seen before...

Keep in mind that for the price of 3 radion arms that's half the fixture right there ;)

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's have come a long way. For an SPS tank the Radion G6 is a MUCH better choice than the Neptune Sky. That being said, no LED fixture on the market provides actual full spectrum light. We use Radion T5 hybrid fixtures on all of our systems. It truly is the best of both worlds. We get the excellent color rendition of the Radions with the full spectrum and reduced shading of the T5's.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back