David G's Marine Zoo (Waterbox Infinia 190.5)

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got my waterbox 190.5 up and running now for about a month. Some minor glitches, like the middle door white color doesn't match; though WB is shipping a new one with zero questions asked. Shipping was delayed for many months, so had some corals in QT during the wait. At least the new set up will have a jump start (providing the sps survive any new tank issues). For anyone new to SPS, this is very early to add corals and best avoided.

Waterbox plumbing needed to be re-worked. They have some minor design flaws, but nothing that cannot be fixed. The slightly loud overflow needs some tweaking. Overall happy with the tank though. Will include plumbing re-work once I finish fixing the overflow issues. Should be a simple fix.

C02 scrubber to be built still. Will likely re-circulate during the night time. Need to look at my total dissolved oxygen before I commit to this.

Dumped a few thousand pods into the tank during initial set-up before the uglies could start. There was a great review of this on BRS Investigates.

Pics taken with Aquarium Cam app. Seems to work ok.

8F082D62-2AE8-40A4-8F78-A2AEF07E7D6D.jpeg 23A16A0B-A665-4052-99B0-B887C3323E88.jpeg

B84612FC-3CF6-472F-80A9-80AB017CF3D7.jpeg

Specs:
Waterbox Infinia 190.5
Radion XR30 G6 x3
Reefmat 1200
Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer
C02 scrubber (May run this as a re-circulation scrubber during the night)
Apex controller
MP60 x2 circulation pumps
Vectra M2 return
Trident Alk/Mg/Ca monitor
Rock work: Tampa Bay live rock
Fish: Dr Reef's Quarantined fish

Many thanks to the Reef 2 Reef community! Couldn't be done without the collective wisdom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First attempts at silencing waterbox overflow noise . Plumbing repaired by two modifications. I HIGHLY recommend the below waterbox overflow modifications. It made the overflow 90% more silent. It still oscillates water level, but it's of little consequence comparatively. Wish Waterbox could see the mods needed. They would benefit from the feedback on an, otherwise, great tank.

1) First, the main drain was too tall. Chopped it so that it is about 6" shorter. Now it cannot suck bubbles from the turbulence above. It's now a true siphon with zero air being sucked in.

2) second, the emergency drain was too short (causing water to crash down within the waterbox overflow). I raised it 1/2". Now my water only falls about 1/4"-1/2". In order to raise it, the E drain needed to be moved posteriorly behind the return plumbing T. This also keeps surface turbulence from splashing down the drain. This was done with a couple 45 degree elbows. Cut it with a dremmel, as the pvc pipe cutter just crushes the WB pipe. Note: I kept the E drain unglued so it can be raised and lowered easily to it's ideal poistion.

IMG_2571.jpeg

Last edited:

Playajames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my waterbox 190.5 up and running now for about a month. Some minor glitches, like the middle door white color doesn't match; though WB is shipping a new one with zero questions asked. Shipping was delayed for many months, so had some corals in QT during the wait. At least the new set up will have a jump start (providing the sps survive any new tank issues). For anyone new to SPS, this is very early to add corals and best avoided.

Waterbox plumbing needed to be re-worked. They have some minor design flaws, but nothing that cannot be fixed. The slightly loud overflow needs some tweaking. Overall happy with the tank though. Will include plumbing re-work once I finish fixing the overflow issues. Should be a simple fix.

C02 scrubber to be built still. Will likely re-circulate during the night time. Need to look at my total dissolved oxygen before I commit to this.

Dumped a few thousand pods into the tank during initial set-up before the uglies could start. There was a great review of this on BRS Investigates.

8F082D62-2AE8-40A4-8F78-A2AEF07E7D6D.jpeg 23A16A0B-A665-4052-99B0-B887C3323E88.jpeg

Specs:
Waterbox Infinia 190.5
Radion XR30 G6 x3
Reefmat 1200
Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer
Apex controller
Vectra M2 return

Many thanks to the Reef 2 Reef community! Couldn't be done without the collective wisdom.

Hey David I see you fit a ReefMat 1200 in your sump. Ive got a Infinia Reef 230.6, our sumps appear to be pretty close in size and Id imagine the return chambers are the same size(8-1/2" x 15-3/4"). The 1200 on the website says the footprint is 8.7" x 12.1". I was under the impression the 1200 would not fit in our return chamber? Did you have to do any extra modifications to get the 1200 to fit properly? It looks like the roller tapers a bit down to the base of the roller. Id imagine this allows it to fit in the chamber well enough?

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey David I see you fit a ReefMat 1200 in your sump. Ive got a Infinia Reef 230.6, our sumps appear to be pretty close in size and Id imagine the return chambers are the same size(8-1/2" x 15-3/4"). The 1200 on the website says the footprint is 8.7" x 12.1". I was under the impression the 1200 would not fit in our return chamber? Did you have to do any extra modifications to get the 1200 to fit properly? It looks like the roller tapers a bit down to the base of the roller. Id imagine this allows it to fit in the chamber well enough?

It fits perfect. No modifications needed. The largest width of the Reefmat is above the sump, so it fits nicely. Get your build thread going so I can follow ya!

Playajames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It fits perfect. No modifications needed. The largest width of the Reefmat is above the sump, so it fits nicely. Get your build thread going so I can follow ya!
Thanks for the clarification. Order put in last night. I’ll try to get a build thread up, would love to share and get some feedback.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Specs:
Waterbox Infinia 190.5
Radion XR30 G6 x3
Reefmat 1200
Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer
Apex controller
Vectra M2 return

Tank looks great!

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few months in and coming along...
IMG_2881.jpeg
IMG_2882.jpeg
C02 scrubber active for the last 2 months. BRS jumbo, with media from online. The other stuff didn't reliably change color. Also swapped out the NYOS skimmer for Bubble King Supermarin 160. Draws much more air and easier to dial in. This keep my pH around 8.2-.8.4 with the controller and electronic ball valve. Fish are all hiding, but slowly adding more --about a dozen or so now.

Last edited:

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - I am considering getting a 190 or 230. I am curious - how much room do you have for controls and stuff on the right?

Where is your power bricks, etc. do you need a dedicated box for them?

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey - I am considering getting a 190 or 230. I am curious - how much room do you have for controls and stuff on the right?

Where is your power bricks, etc. do you need a dedicated box for them?

You can see from my sump pic, I have room --even with the CO2 scrubber. But notice a few things, no refugium (so I can fit bigger skimmer), the ATO is remote from the sump, the power bricks for the lights are also outside the sump (behind my couch). Additionally, the controller and the DOS are anchored to the wall. Let me see if I can get a better pic for you...

image.jpg

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Details on the ato. The waterbox 190.5 has a stock under-the-cabinet ato; though, needed the space and slightly more capacity. Solution was this....

The RO hose detaches and the small left over length gets tucked away underneath when not in use. Allows me to easily fill every couple weeks and not carry buckets.

When apex tells me it's low, I just grab the RO hose, hook it up and refill. Repeat every 2 weeks or so.

image.jpg image.jpg

Caleb060196

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Specs:
Waterbox Infinia 190.5
Radion XR30 G6 x3
Reefmat 1200
Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer
Apex controller
Vectra M2 return

Nice setup! I have started buying parts for my first reef tank. I'm diving in and going to purchase the Waterbox 190.5 as well. I was looking at your equipment and saw you got the nyos 160 instead of the 220? I'm curious of why? And do you regret it? Or is the 160 good for the size of the 190.5? I was looking at the nyos 220

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice setup! I have started buying parts for my first reef tank. I'm diving in and going to purchase the Waterbox 190.5 as well. I was looking at your equipment and saw you got the nyos 160 instead of the 220? I'm curious of why? And do you regret it? Or is the 160 good for the size of the 190.5? I was looking at the nyos 220

I actually bought the skimmer used, and it has since died out on me, so I took the chance to upgrade. I do love the new skimmer but clearly a price difference. I think the NYOS 160 would have been fine though. Generally better to undersize with skimmers (IMHO), since if there is not enough to dissolved substances to skim, it wont produce enough of a head to be removed.

Royal Exclusiv
Bubble King Supermarin 160 Protein Skimmer

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back