Getting clowns to host!

Turbo4toy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clowns sleeps in or near my nem. During the day he doesn't seem to pay any attention to it but when I leave for work early in the morning he is in it. Then my other clown has taken more of a liking to my frogspawn.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a sebae is a natural host for some species of clownfish - I can't recall right now which ones. I'm happy that it has worked for you reefer! - chances are that if your clowns are a pair - or at least buddies :) the other will eventually go in

I actually changed my FO tank to a reef to keep an anemone primarily and then hopefully have the clown/anemone relationship in the tank. I had a GBTA that my black and white occys never showed interest in - it continued to shrink for some unknown reason and I eventually removed it. I then added a RBTA and it took four months for the nem to host. I did post a picture of a clown in a nem right by where the nem was. I moved the nem (it had attached to a rock in another portion of the tank) with the attached rock to a spot in the tank that was the clown's hang out. One day - I came home and one of the clowns was in the nem! I was so excited! Who knows what helped this process (the picture, moving the nem, just time) but I usually suggest trying all three methods.

reefguy40gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait....are you guys serious about putting an iPad with clowns hosting nems on the outside of the tank?

I got a nem that my clown refuses to host. He likes the torch coral instead.

My 2nd clown hangs out at the top of the water column all day long. How do I get the 2nd clown to host? They are not a pair yet....no sex.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard about the pics very often i wanna get a rbta or maybe a carpet im hoping the second will host if not maybe ill get another clown of a different species. Anems are def one.of my fav. Ill prob have a soft and zoa dominated tank

geckoejon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of ocellaris that were not being hosted by my bta's. I tossed a skunk clown in for a couple weeks. The ocellaris watched the skunk being hosted, and eventually became interested. I took the skunk out, and within a couple days both of the ocellaris were buried in the bta's :) they just needed to be shown what to do...

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of ocellaris that were not being hosted by my bta's. I tossed a skunk clown in for a couple weeks. The ocellaris watched the skunk being hosted, and eventually became interested. I took the skunk out, and within a couple days both of the ocellaris were buried in the bta's :) they just needed to be shown what to do...

Well that's an idea but how big is your tank? I read nothing but bad news at 3 clowns in 1 tank

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt matter what u do or try clown fish will not host untill there ready its all about maturity when it comes to clowns hosting anything.

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doesnt matter what u do or try clown fish will not host untill there ready its all about maturity when it comes to clowns hosting anything.
Hey that's great info. But it seems as though depending on the clowns and what not that that's not always true but time will tell!

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
however the other way is expensive the nem if thats what your trying to get the clowns to host has to be very large the clown fish have to feel it will provide
them protection. then you must provide them with a common threat thus forsing the clowns to seek refuge in any coral that will sting. but keep in mind cause an effect.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns dont do the hosting. The anem does lets get that fact straight and out of the way. Also. Alot of clows will be hosted by anems at all shapes and sizes that ive seen

Roty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong when you say host the new allows the clown fish to host it but it's the clown who makes the choice

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns dont do the hosting. The anem does lets get that fact straight and out of the way. Also. Alot of clows will be hosted by anems at all shapes and sizes that ive seen

Exactly. The nem does the hosting, not the fish. It's like when a friend comes over to your house, he's not the host, he is the guest. You are the host.
Strange things happen in captivity. If a clown can be "hosted" by a powerhead or heater, then there is potential for nems of any shape, size or colour that aren't typically associated with that species of clown to host aswell. It happens every day in this hobby.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks agaib tyler ur help as always is appreciated. U wrre the one infact who taught me clowns dont host. Anems do

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back