OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the epoxy today and reinforced several pieces that have been skating on this ice so to speak. Hopefully this will translate into less corals falling all over the place every time a turbo decides to pay them a visit. I’ve been lucky to have caught them in a short period of time. Only lost one frag at this point (literally lost, it fell somewhere deep in the rock work and I am unable to locate it). Thanks all!

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have tried all the combinations mentioned in this thread along with techniques seen on YouTube, hints from the LFS and any old wives tale anyone mentions. Some frags stay on to the point of needing pliers to snap them loose while others, you look hard at them and they fall off. I think it is the dirty little secret of reefing! But we are trying to create a little ocean in our living rooms so whatdaya gonna do?

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have tried all the combinations mentioned in this thread along with techniques seen on YouTube, hints from the LFS and any old wives tale anyone mentions. Some frags stay on to the point of needing pliers to snap them loose while others, you look hard at them and they fall off. I think it is the dirty little secret of reefing! But we are trying to create a little ocean in our living rooms so whatdaya gonna do?
Pliers! Oh my!

I guess I’m just going to try and try again!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion, my two cents if I could. I always use both epoxy and superglue.
First I locate a hole or crevice in my rock work that would help assist in securing the coral. Then pop off the frag from the plug. Don’t toss the frag plus just yet. Then knead the two part epoxy and create a bowl. Drop 3/4 drops of superglue in the bowl. Stick the bottom of the frag into the superglue and begin to push the sides of the bowl around the base of the coral. Then reach down and mount the base of the epoxy into the spot Ive chosen and push the excess epoxy around that area, securing it to the rock work. Finally, examine the frag plug to see if any coral fragments (no matter how small) encrusted onto the frag plug. Find yourself a nice corner of the tank in the sand. Or of course a small frag rack. And save these gems. They will grow out and you’ll have two corals for the price of one. Maybe 8 or 12 weeks later. I’ll attach some recent photos.
IMG_3589.jpeg
IMG_3531.jpeg
IMG_3532.jpeg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, The first photo is the original frag. The next is it’s current state. And finally the third is the result of growing out the original frag plug with a toe nail sized piece of the original coral.
Presently, I have what looks like a little grave yard of 5 frag plugs. But not for long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back