Getting Coral to Attach to Rock Work

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am very annoyed because despite my best efforts some of my corals keep falling off wherever I place them. I am using cyanocrylate based super glue. I try to let it scan and wiggle it to make sure that it fills the spaces between the frag plug and the rock but some of them are still getting knocked off by either fish or snails. Any tricks/tips uo your sleeves? I have some more reef safe epoxy on the way but I really don’t like the stuff. Please and thank you!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am very annoyed because despite my best efforts some of my corals keep falling off wherever I place them. I am using cyanocrylate based super glue. I try to let it scan and wiggle it to make sure that it fills the spaces between the frag plug and the rock but some of them are still getting knocked off by either fish or snails. Any tricks/tips uo your sleeves? I have some more reef safe epoxy on the way but I really don’t like the stuff. Please and thank you!
I use this with good success. You have to apply very liberally and hold the plug in place for a few minutes.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

You use the Gel stuff?
All mine stick find.
So put some on, hold in a cup of tank water, count to 30, this will build a skin, then attach flow off for an hour.
IMG_0510.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,

You want gel super glue or preferably IP coral glue or even BRS gel coral glue and assure flow is cut down while glue cures which is a full 1-2 minutes

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue on plug or coral then epoxy putty then more glue. Smush onto rock
Is that because the epoxy putty binds better to the glue than the frag plugs? Thanks for the recommendation, just trying to understand why it works better than directly gluing! Will try!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want gel super glue or preferably IP coral glue or even BRS gel coral glue and assure flow is cut down while glue cures which is a full 1-2 minutes
Thanks for the recommendation. I am using the gel version of super glue and have tried the stuff from BRS too. Have not been shutting off the flow so will try that!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is that because the epoxy putty binds better to the glue than the frag plugs? Thanks for the recommendation, just trying to understand why it works better than directly gluing! Will try!
I personally use holdfast putty by instant ocean which cures under water and hugs the coral very well and comes in coraline tone also.

1705016419625.png

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use the Gel stuff?
All mine stick find.
So put some on, hold in a cup of tank water, count to 30, this will build a skin, then attach flow off for an hour.
IMG_0510.jpeg
Thanks! This is one of the ones I’ve tried. Sounds like a theme where I haven’t been shutting off the flow but should. Will try!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use holdfast putty by instant ocean which cures under water and hugs the coral very well and comes in coraline tone also.

1705016419625.png
This is what’s on the way. I used it for my rock work and it did great… just kinda hate working with it but definitely works!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this with good success. You have to apply very liberally and hold the plug in place for a few minutes.

Just placed an order for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to glue flat plugs onto the rocks or do you have the stems attached to the plugs and trying to drop those in holes on your rocks?
A bit of both. When I’m able to stick the stems into the rock work they tend to be fine. The flat plugs are being more problematic.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 epoxy and glue. Glue holds it until epoxy dries- took me years to realize how much glue I was wasting.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

You could also take the coral itself off the frag plug and attach it to the rock itself. Often the plugs don't fit to the rocks well leaving space for a snail to get under an edge and break it off.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also take the coral itself off the frag plug and attach it to the rock itself. Often the plugs don't fit to the rocks well leaving space for a snail to get under an edge and break it off.
Fair; I’ve done that to some when it’s easy for them to come off. When not, I’d rather not try to force it or trim the coral to do it so I stick with the plugs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back