Getting nothing on parmeters afte month

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to Saltwater Aquariums and have Fluval Sea EVO 13.5.
It has been about a month since started with more than half live rock and bag of dry rock.

Latest Parmeters are:

Temp: 80.6
PH: 8.1
Salininity: 1.025
Amonina: 0.0 Never saw anything
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0
Phosphate: 0.0

I notice some light brown/green form on dry rock and part of live rock. I read amonina starts at beginning, then nitrite and finally natrate and others 0.0
I planned to take a while for this first tank, so I do it right with 2 75 Gallon tanks next year.

Not sure what else I need to test or what is wrong. I did start out with Salinety too high which I change water to lower it.
I included photo of tank

Stewart

13.5_050324.jpg

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae growth is good. Unless you’re adding things into your tank, those readings won’t change

Try adding starter coral or pods and food.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am using 7 stage RO water and bacteria sand and reef salt. I read it best for two months or so before adding fish.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking if your tank has cycled? Did you add bacteria or any kind of ammonia to kick start the cycle? How did you start the cycle?

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cap full of Seachum Stability. Only thing is Live Rock and CaribSea live reef sand.
I actually can be very slow in doing cycle and I just want to make sure it done right.
I am not sure what is required to start cycle. I thought Live rock would be enough.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question how much amoninia is recommend for 13.5 gallons to start tank. Any do I need specific type?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cap full of Seachum Stability. Only thing is Live Rock and CaribSea live reef sand.
I actually can be very slow in doing cycle and I just want to make sure it done right.
I am not sure what is required to start cycle. I thought Live rock would be enough.
oh I missed that you started with live rock then the tank should be cycled....

But if you are asking why the parameters are not changing, its because no ammonia is being added so no nitrification happens and parameters will not change.

If you want to check if you are cycled, you can buy a bottle of ammonia and add drops (follow the instructions) and within a day the nitrate should be increased to reflect the added ammonia.

But I'm still not not sure if I'm answering your question?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to Saltwater Aquariums and have Fluval Sea EVO 13.5.
It has been about a month since started with more than half live rock and bag of dry rock.

Latest Parmeters are:

Temp: 80.6
PH: 8.1
Salininity: 1.025
Amonina: 0.0 Never saw anything
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 0.0
Phosphate: 0.0

I notice some light brown/green form on dry rock and part of live rock. I read amonina starts at beginning, then nitrite and finally natrate and others 0.0
I planned to take a while for this first tank, so I do it right with 2 75 Gallon tanks next year.

Not sure what else I need to test or what is wrong. I did start out with Salinety too high which I change water to lower it.
I included photo of tank

Stewart

13.5_050324.jpg
Is that live rock or "Liferock'? Live rock would have been wet when you got it. Liferock comes dry in a box. It's dry rock painted purple. Nothing alive on it. (I guess it's supposed to have dormant bacteria on it)

edit for spelling

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of live rock did you use?

Basically it’s cycled but you haven’t added anything so can lose the cycle.

You need to add nutrients to a closed system.

I wouldn’t do ammonia. It’s easier to just start adding some inverts and if you want corals. And get the bacteria to adjust to that and then add fish

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't lose the cycle. Bacteria pop may reduce, but it won't go away.

OP
OP
H

H4Stewart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be slow processed and in fact it could take until end of summer to add fish.
The Live rock was from existing aquarium in store (PetCo) and added to water on same day as instructed.

What about adding fish food to tank at this stage?

Glowurm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be slow processed and in fact it could take until end of summer to add fish.
The Live rock was from existing aquarium in store (PetCo) and added to water on same day as instructed.

What about adding fish food to tank at this stage?
Your system is an enclosed system, so the only way its going to see changes in water chemistry is when you do something to actively change that system. Stikes me the rock isnt "live" as in from the ocean rather its live rock which has been coated in bacteria to speed up the cycle...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back