Getting together for corals and conversation: Are you planning to attend any reefing shows this year?

Are you planning to attend any reefing shows this year?

• Definitely

Votes: 135 34.2%
  • Probably

Votes: 98 24.8%
  • Probably not

Votes: 66 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 90 22.8%
  • Other

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on going to Reefapalooza NYC. I live close enough to drive down and back the same day. This will be my first time attending an event like this. I could use some pointers/ tips incase I end up finding something I have to have. What should I bring with me?
I would recommend a hard side cooler big enough for a few frags but easy to carry around. Bringing a small drawstring backpack is nice as there is typically a lot of free stickers and swag at the booths.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on going to Reefapalooza NYC. I live close enough to drive down and back the same day. This will be my first time attending an event like this. I could use some pointers/ tips incase I end up finding something I have to have. What should I bring with me?
Money lots of it! lol
The cooler is good too, heat packs or cold packs depending on temp is nice but not needed. In the past when I went to the lansing swap i'd bring a cooler with whatever frags I had talked to people on since its in feb and cold here I'd get a heat pack or two water temp stayed around 80f. People were always amazed "Wow they are still warm". You just have to try it out first to see what happens obviously you dont want to cook the corals. I found putting a small towel in the bottom over the heat pack worked well.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I am absolutely shocked so many go to these... may need to look into it.

What happens at these things?

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What happens at these things
Well if you go to an event like Reefapalooza lots and lots of manufactures come to display and show off the latest and greatest equipment, services, ect. Coral retailers come to sell live coral such as World Wide Corals, Jason Fox and many, many others. You may even see some of your favorite YouTubers there. Reef Art, industry experts give seminars. So pretty much anything related will be there.

DenaliDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not sure about going to the Cincinnati Reefers Frag Swap again this year but decided the other day to go at the last minute. I was glad I did. Although there were not as many vendors there this year as last year, they still had a decent turn out with some good coral and really good prices. It may have been the arctic blast that kept the turnout low and hopefully they'll have more next year.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What happens at these things?
Typically you can get some really good prices on corals. Especially if you wait til the end and have cash. Vendors don't always want to have to transport corals back home and are willing to make deals.

Its also super fun to hang out with hundreds of fellow reefers in person and share stories and methods.

The big ones like reefapalooza have some crazy raffle prizes and lots of equipment vendors showing off new tech as well.

Its definitely worth checking out if you have one in your area

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you can get some really good prices on corals. Especially if you wait til the end and have cash. Vendors don't always want to have to transport corals back home and are willing to make deals.
While I definitely agree with this, I must add, that if you see something that you “Love it, gotta have it”… buy it! It probably won’t still be sitting there when the show ends.

SaltyCabbage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be going to the Thunder coral expo next Saturday the 17th here in OKC!
thundercoral.jpeg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh may have to go to that! It's a 4 and a half hour drive from my house. Not bad at all.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am going to Reefapooloza in orlando! it will be my first show! Any insight!
go in with a budget in mind or you WILL go overboard. day 2 is usually when the "deals" or haggling occurs. day 1 you'll find better options.

bring a small or medium sized cooler you can roll around to put the corals into as you buy them.

work in cirlces. as in, once you go inside, turn left or right and do a full circle. then work your way closer to the middle, with the same concept of moving in a circle. my first time in RAPNY i missed so many vendors because i was aimlessly walking around(which is okay).

NewbieC123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go in with a budget in mind or you WILL go overboard. day 2 is usually when the "deals" or haggling occurs. day 1 you'll find better options.

bring a small or medium sized cooler you can roll around to put the corals into as you buy them.
Should I put ice in the cooler? It is about a 2.5 hour drive back to my house

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back