Goby is gone!!

cherrmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, i am fairly new to reefing and yesterday got a diamond goby. This morning i noticed he is just gone, i’ve heard they’re jumpers and checked the back of my tank and nothing. So far i only have 2 clowns, a few blue legged hermits, 2 conches and bloody mary shrimp. Any ideas where he might’ve gone to? :(

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a lid, you won't have that fish for very long. How large is this tank? Do you have cats or dogs?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, i am fairly new to reefing and yesterday got a diamond goby. This morning i noticed he is just gone, i’ve heard they’re jumpers and checked the back of my tank and nothing. So far i only have 2 clowns, a few blue legged hermits, 2 conches and bloody mary shrimp. Any ideas where he might’ve gone to? :(
Do you have a cat?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishy Heaven?
Hopefully not but it might pay to check your overflow if you're running a system with a sump.

OP
OP
cherrmin

cherrmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a lid, you won't have that fish for very long. How large is this tank? Do you have cats or dogs?
it’s a 75 gallon, i do have a lid but there’s a gap (around 2 inches long) at the back where the filter goes. I also have two dogs

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a gap in your lid, a fish will find it. It's really quite remarkable. So it's either hiding or it jumped and may have become a doggie snack.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine Burys himself in a cave at night to sleep, but usually out during the day. They are very active fish, so if you do not have a good cover and it got spoked for any reason, it may have jumped. otherwise, could just be hiding, as they do that too.

OP
OP
cherrmin

cherrmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you everyone for your help, he’s finally come out!! i will cover the gap on my lid ASAP to prevent another scare like this lol.
IMG_1836.jpeg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aww, yay!! Happy he is okay. You will come to love him. Mine is my favorite fish in the tank. He stays busy thru out the day, moving sand, and snails, and anything else that he does not want near his burrow!! Even pieces of macro algae (AKA plants) That is HIS space, and he guards it with his life.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you everyone for your help, he’s finally come out!! i will cover the gap on my lid ASAP to prevent another scare like this lol.
IMG_1836.jpeg
I was just about to message. I didn't see my yellow goby for 2 months, due to it being under the rocks just building systems with a pistol shrimp. If you check around the tank and nothing and you close up the gap, one day you'll be a kid on Christmas day once it reappears like me :)

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in a yellow watchman goby. found it today and fed it " target fed ". Maybe its shy give it a few days if you have algae in the sand I'm sure it will appear. I was going to say surface but.........

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in a yellow watchman goby. found it today and fed it " target fed ". Maybe its shy give it a few days if you have algae in the sand I'm sure it will appear. I was going to say surface but.........
So a question, what and how do you target feed your watchman? I ask because mine literally NEVER comes out beyond the entrance to his burrow. He does get some food, but doesn't seem like much, and all my other fish are growing a lot faster than he is. I thought about using a pipette to shoot some food into his burrow.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1836.jpeg
Good! I was going to say not to worry, I had a yellow watchmen go MIA for a year then he popped out of the rocks one day! Saw his pistol shrimp and heard it every now and again but never saw the goby until recently.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question, what and how do you target feed your watchman? I ask because mine literally NEVER comes out beyond the entrance to his burrow. He does get some food, but doesn't seem like much, and all my other fish are growing a lot faster than he is. I thought about using a pipette to shoot some food into his burrow.
opportunistic feeders is my guess. I have had mine for a year and it wasn't until say 3 months ago that he started coming out and getting active to feed. But he Is alive and looked good for the 3 months I didn't see him, so he found something to eat.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let it discouraged you as one day it may venture out and it'll all be different.
I got my clownfish pair in 2017 and they were completely disinterested in my anemones until December of 2023. Now they never leave them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back