Going to Cabo-SCUBA or snorkel?

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife surprised me with a trip to Cabo San Lucas for my 40th! So should I take SCUBA lessons before we go? Or is snorkeling good enough to see the reef? Is the reef thriving there? Any recommended diving/must see locations?

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife surprised me with a trip to Cabo San Lucas for my 40th! So should I take SCUBA lessons before we go? Or is snorkeling good enough to see the reef? Is the reef thriving there? Any recommended diving/must see locations?

My attitude has always been, why snorkel when you can scuba?

There aren't really any reefs in Cabo. A short hour or so drive will get you to Cabo Pulmo, which is a UNESCO site with a reef. I am not familiar with any dive charters out of CSL.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My attitude has always been, why snorkel when you can scuba?

There aren't really any reefs in Cabo. A short hour or so drive will get you to Cabo Pulmo, which is a UNESCO site with a reef. I am not familiar with any dive charters out of CSL.
Thanks, I should mention I dont mind traveling an hour or so to see the good stuff

315wall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scuba is a completely different experience, you literately swim with the fish. If you like to swim and are not claustrophobic go for it. I've been diving for about 2 years now and love it.

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely SCUBA. I have done both in many locations. SCUBA is by far more enjoyable than snorkel. More to see and you can stay down as long as you like or until air runs out. LOL!

Mehul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was there in October, there's not many places to snorkel unless you take a private charter like I did. They have private beaches and spots where they take you all day, you'll see a lot trust me.
Also make sure you don't do the Cabo Shark Dive without researching the time of season.
I went and only saw a baby hammerhead and they didn't refund me.
hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore info.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkeling at Cabo Pulmo is pretty decent. If you take a 2 hour van ride North to the La Paz area - they have a couple very decent dive spots. Los Isolotes (where you can snorkel and see a lot of stuff) and a seamount that has a ton of life and seasonally gets big school of hammerhead sharks.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like scuba much better than snorkeling.

While snorkeling, trying to get enough air in lungs to dive deep to see a fish or coral, and then only have seconds before I am needing more air is kinda frustrating.

scuba lets you see what you want for a longer time.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No love for freediving ;Dead

I tried scuba few times and always find it cumbersome and noisy. Wildlife seems much less timid without the bubbles, you can go up and down as much as you like as quickly as you would like. I'm not saying it gives you the same time down there as scuba because it obviously doesn't but the interactions with the inhabitants, serenity and freedom of movement led me to ditch the tanks and just take a breath.

Freediving isn't snorkeling though- between those two I'd go scuba since it allows you to be further down.

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend a "discover diving" course at your destination. They'll teach you just enough so that you won't kill yourself, you get to experience diving in an idyllic setting and see if you like it. If you do that and love it, get certified for your next vacation.

My avatar is a puffer fish I encountered in Grand Cayman. Underwater photography can be quite fun and easy enough if you get into diving. Click images to enlarge.

1583389534135.png 1583389558176.png 1583389585698.png 1583389600911.png

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been to Cabo, but I've been diving for over 20 years. Aside from the obvious advantages of being able to experience the reef up close and personal, diving for me is the closest thing to being completely weightless and "flying" as most people will ever experience. Even after all these years, that feeling alone still gives me a thrill. Can't recommend it enough.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Ive only done snorkeling in Hawaii and while much of their reef is unfortunately in bad shape, I did find myself wanting to get closer and deeper to the fish. Looks like scuba is the answer!

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dove there multiple times. Became friends with the Dive Cabo guys. My wife and I actually did our open water and advanced open water certs out there. Its wonderful.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back