Going to start cycling my tank

alohadood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did this with a new tank on our system. It was isolated to prevent any switch go to the whole house system. But with 100% live rock 40% seeded live sand. And the rest of the sand live from a bag. A dose of biospira the next day after filling... the tank never saw a cycle. I would not recommend this method to any one who doesn't have 20 years or so into the hobby, you're just going to cause trouble for yourself.

jkef2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my cycle on my biocube as well about two days ago, I used cured live rock from a established tank that's been running for 8+ years and I was told that once you got live rock and saltwater together in the tank the cycle starts from the die off of the rock. So I just boosted it with a raw deli shrimp. Best advice I've learned was be patient and not rush it.

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just filled my 29G biocube up yesterday. Used 20lbs. of live rock, a 20lb. bag of live sand and ocean water. It will be interesting to see what results I get when I test the water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back