GPH adjustment for UV

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It also depends on what you are targeting with your UV. The slower the flow, the more it kills. If you’re looking to kill parasites etc., you’ll need the lower end if the flow rate. They’re effective against algae at slightly higher rates.

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it doesn't line up, you often run a separate pump and loop.

OP
OP
A

Alotls

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on what you are targeting with your UV. The slower the flow, the more it kills. If you’re looking to kill parasites etc., you’ll need the lower end if the flow rate.
yeah ive been ich managing for two years now, its rare when i see dots but i wanna keep those occurences lower so was gonna try to target through Uv (done and failed eradication twice) i reintroduced months later because i just suck at QT i guess.

so that being said at the low GPH, is that fine for the tank? or is that just not enough in general

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I like a minimum of 5x turnover through the sump. Some argue as low as 3x. Any lower and I’d buy a separate pump and feed the UV on its own loop

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you know of a under 1k UV for a 125 that would align better?

i dont have the oppurtunity to tear down and redrill the tank for an additional line
What's your desired flow rate for circulation and for UV? Are you targeting algae only or also bacteria and parasites?

OP
OP
A

Alotls

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You tank turnover via return pump will make sure treated water is returned to the tank.
Oh **** why didn’t I even fathom that. So to be clear a seperate smaller pump in the sump that pulls from the sump and empties back into sump then return pump to tank continues its normal job seperatly

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh **** why didn’t I even fathom that. So to be clear a seperate smaller pump in the sump that pulls from the sump and empties back into sump then return pump to tank continues its normal job seperatly
Yes. Exactly this. If you wanna get super fancy you can use a DC adjustable pump or valve to adjust your kill rate

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back