Green algea in 13.5 gallon EVO tank need help

AaronB5916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have had this 13.5-gallon saltwater tank kit for a few months now and its never stops having loads of algae in it. I do water changes every week from the water from my local Petco, but I also have my own ROM but it's too cold to use it since I connect it to my hose into my basement. I just did a water test, and it came to have
PH- 8.4
Nitrate-20
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Salinity-1.027
I have a pair of clowns, two small bubble tip anemones, 4 small turbo snails, Blood shrimp, and two hermit crabs. I know the PH and nitrate are a little high but even when i do get those numbers lower after a good 5-gallon water change the algae comes back within a day or two. I am fairly new to saltwater but i really just want to make this tank look good and without green algae covering all the glass, any advice would be really helpful.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your phosphate level? Algae will suck up Phsphates and Nitrates for food. I would also test the saltwater you're getting from Petco. I strongly suggest making your own. You'll need an RODI filtration unit, not just a reverse osmosis system.
When you make your own water, do it in a bucket with a powerhead and a heater.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your po4 and no3 levels? Algae tends to grow in more nutrient rich waters. Liked stated about I would definitely be testing the water from Petco. And making your on is highly recommend. Could possibly even be cheaper for you. I run RO water in my system and have no issues. Most will say RODI is better which it may be for them. But I have been lead to believe by Dr Tim that the beneficial bacteria tend to better in RO.

OP
OP
A

AaronB5916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your phosphate level? Algae will suck up Phsphates and Nitrates for food. I would also test the saltwater you're getting from Petco. I strongly suggest making your own. You'll need an RODI filtration unit, not just a reverse osmosis system.
When you make your own water, do it in a bucket with a powerhead and a heater.
I do have my own Rodi machine at home but the only way I can use mine is to connect to my hose outside and run it into my basement because I can't connect it to any of my sinks in the house. so, I have been using the the Petco water but from now on I will use my water, I will be going to get a phosphate test today also and do a 50% water change.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have my own Rodi machine at home but the only way I can use mine is to connect to my hose outside and run it into my basement because I can't connect it to any of my sinks in the house. so, I have been using the the Petco water but from now on I will use my water, I will be going to get a phosphate test today also and do a 50% water change.
It doesn't matter where you connect it. The water to your hose is the same as at your sink.
You said you have an RODI "machine". Can you post a pic of this "machine"? I've only ever heard of, and used, RODI filtration units (sediment block, carbon blocks, RO membrane, DI resin).

OP
OP
A

AaronB5916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter where you connect it. The water to your hose is the same as at your sink.
You said you have an RODI "machine". Can you post a pic of this "machine"? I've only ever heard of, and used, RODI filtration units (sediment block, carbon blocks, RO membrane, DI resin).
Oh, sorry no I have the RODI filtration thing with all of the things you listed off and I have to connect it to my hose because the sink faucet can't connect to the unit if you know what I am trying to say. i just did my phosphate test and it came out to have about a 0.25 mg/l

Back