Gyres vs. Wavemakers

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What extra maintenance? I thought they were the same. I am very much a fan of them.

Maybe they mean because there are more parts or pieces?

In your experience, are gyres worth the extra maintenance compared to other types of wavemakers?

They are a different tool to use. It isn't about maintenance but rather is if it is the right tool for your application. What are you looking for? Display size, L, W, H, visible, cords, tank maturity, control, etc. So many variables but really comes down to application and personal preference.

Make a list of what you want today. Consider upgrades down the road and display longevity. If you are just dipping in with a new display the answer may be different than later. Coral maturity is a factor as are fish size, etc.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What extra maintenance? I thought they were the same. I am very much a fan of them.
They lose flow much more quickly and need to be cleaned more often. Gyres generally every 1-2 months, regular flow pumps every 3-6 months. Plus they're slightly more difficult to clean considering you often can't get inside the cylinder behind the blades; it's not as simple as a toothbrush to the outside

That said, I am with areefer01 here. Whether a gyre will work for you depends on your goals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They lose flow much more quickly and need to be cleaned more often. Gyres generally every 1-2 months, regular flow pumps every 3-6 months. Plus they're slightly more difficult to clean considering you often can't get inside the cylinder behind the blades; it's not as simple as a toothbrush to the outside

That said, I am with areefer01 here. Whether a gyre will work for you depends on your goals.
I haven't cleaned anything in 3 years but it keeps on working.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't cleaned anything in 3 years but it keeps on working.
I am only pointing out what happens and why they are believed to have more maintenance involved. I too haven't cleaned my gyres in over a year and they're still working, though I do feel like if I cleaned them I would experience an increase in flow for the next month or two. My last pair had 2 sets of blades (one orange, one black) that I would swap out every month and clean, and the performance difference was noticeable, but, since I only run them at ~50% anyways, it's not really a problem.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only pointing out what happens and why they are believed to have more maintenance involved. I too haven't cleaned my gyres in over a year and they're still working, though I do feel like if I cleaned them I would experience an increase in flow for the next month or two. My last pair had 2 sets of blades (one orange, one black) that I would swap out every month and clean, and the performance difference was noticeable, but, since I only run them at ~50% anyways, it's not really a problem.
I agree with you I'm just experimenting with going hands off wave pumps, return pump, etc... so far no issues.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience, are gyres worth the extra maintenance compared to other types of wavemakers?
If you get something like an MP40 they have a gyre mode as one of their settings but also other useful preset modes. I've always thought gyres work best on big long tanks where you want that Tidal swell from one side to the other clean and smooth back an forth.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I haven't cleaned a dang thing
the only thing I have cleaned in a year is my skimmer body, and that's because it gets lightspill from my fuge section so grows algae inside of it. I am working on correcting that though so I can also leave it alone...

Top OP:

Personally, I feel like Gyre's do really well on long mixed reef tanks that will have lower flow sections at the bottom for LPS/Softies, and higher turbulent flows at the top for SPS. They're also exceptionally good at lifting detritus off the bottom of the tank (I have a cycle that runs at 100% in one direction for 30 minutes, and then 100% in the other direction for 30 minutes that runs daily, and it keeps everything nice and clean). They're slightly less useful at targeted flow that some other types of pumps though, so if you need to target an area, even with the new Cloud editions 4 way adjustment, I think you're better off picking up a regular flow pump. But they definitely work well, and I will probably continue to incorporate them as the main source of flow on future builds...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing I have cleaned in a year is my skimmer body, and that's because it gets lightspill from my fuge section so grows algae inside of it. I am working on correcting that though so I can also leave it alone...

Top OP:

Personally, I feel like Gyre's do really well on long mixed reef tanks that will have lower flow sections at the bottom for LPS/Softies, and higher turbulent flows at the top for SPS. They're also exceptionally good at lifting detritus off the bottom of the tank (I have a cycle that runs at 100% in one direction for 30 minutes, and then 100% in the other direction for 30 minutes that runs daily, and it keeps everything nice and clean). They're slightly less useful at targeted flow that some other types of pumps though, so if you need to target an area, even with the new Cloud editions 4 way adjustment, I think you're better off picking up a regular flow pump. But they definitely work well, and I will probably continue to incorporate them as the main source of flow on future builds...
Sounds like we have a similar reefing approach.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back