Hairline crack in fishtank

aaronsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i noticed a small black hairline crack last night and this morning looked a bit longer in my 75 gal reef tank. I need advise, there is no water leaking looks to be only cracked on inside, i have silicone i would like to fix this do not have money for new tank ill attach pictures plz help.

2D385153-FEFF-4CCE-B11A-8B968A8EE1B4.jpeg A2400F86-55A4-4B16-8B80-027E01E67C58.jpeg

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but that will eventually start leaking. Had something similar in my old 40b and unfortunately i didnt catch it and it through water all over the floor. Keep a close eye on it and if it is spreading like you think than you need to take action.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like bad news. Have a back up plan asap for when it leaks. Start looking for a cheap used tank until something better comes along.

OP
OP
A

aaronsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not feel crack with finger or razor blade tho?
That looks like bad news. Have a back up plan asap for when it leaks. Start looking for a cheap used tank until something better comes along.
I hate to say it but that will eventually start leaking. Had something similar in my old 40b and unfortunately i didnt catch it and it through water all over the floor. Keep a close eye on it and if it is spreading like you think than you need to take action.
I can not feel a crack with my finger or razor blade

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're looking at a big "plot twist" very soon. Silicone won't fix an internal splinter like that.

Some might not agree with this but the first thing I'd do is grab a roll of duct tape and wrap that entire end of the tank connecting the front to the back and doing the entire side. The next thing as others have suggested would be to look for a used tank but my preference would be to get a new one since you never really know what you might be buying when going used.

I'd act fast on this even though it might not fail right away.

OP
OP
A

aaronsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're looking at a big "plot twist" very soon. Silicone won't fix an internal splinter like that.

Some might not agree with this but the first thing I'd do is grab a roll of duct tape and wrap that entire end of the tank connecting the front to the back and doing the entire side. The next thing as others have suggested would be to look for a used tank but my preference would be to get a new one since you never really know what you might be buying when going used.

I'd act fast on this even though it might not fail right away.
how am i sure its a crack and not the lineing of the tank theres a thin line on opposite side of tank to

image.jpg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the crack is growing you need a new tank ASAP, preferably yesterday.

That looks like a horn shark. A 75g won’t be adequate for long anyways.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what @MichaelE said. Anything structural that is getting bigger won't end well and you can be almost certain that if you let it go you'll end up with it failing when you're not home.

If the crack is growing you need a new tank ASAP, preferably yesterday.

That looks like a horn shark. A 75g won’t be adequate for long anyways.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will likely fail. You mentioned that it looked bigger this morning so even if it stays the same for months you can pretty much bet on it growing and failing at some point. This looks like a structural break in the glass so to me it's not a matter of whether it will fail but when it will fail.

Back