Hammer coral looking bad after water change

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a water change but had a little mishap with my ATO staying siphoned on and adding too much freshwater to the system (about another 3 gallons to my 90-ish gallon system). I thought it wouldn’t be a really big deal if I just gave it a few days to evaporate out and get back to the correct SG. My other corals seem alright, but my Ultra Gold hammer is not looking so hot. It’s recessed into the skeleton and it giving off this heavy mucous at the front head (it has 3 heads). I’d think the best thing to do would be to SLOWLY let the parameters change back with letting the SG rise as water evaporates, I don’t want to do too much and make this worse. Is that the best course of action? I figure the SG should be back where it is supposed to be in about 2-3 days, but this coral is looking pretty beat up. Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pic

Attachments

• IMG_4666.jpeg
    IMG_4666.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 64

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I did a water change but had a little mishap with my ATO staying siphoned on and adding too much freshwater to the system (about another 3 gallons to my 90-ish gallon system). I thought it wouldn’t be a really big deal if I just gave it a few days to evaporate out and get back to the correct SG. My other corals seem alright, but my Ultra Gold hammer is not looking so hot. It’s recessed into the skeleton and it giving off this heavy mucous at the front head (it has 3 heads). I’d think the best thing to do would be to SLOWLY let the parameters change back with letting the SG rise as water evaporates, I don’t want to do too much and make this worse. Is that the best course of action? I figure the SG should be back where it is supposed to be in about 2-3 days, but this coral is looking pretty beat up. Thanks for any help.
Release of slime is normal for sudden changes in water conditions ( the same that often occurs with introduction) but it should recover easily through adjustment to favorable conditions.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning there is a lot more of that mucous on the coral. The lights are still out so you can see it with just my phone camera. I’m just concerned that this isn’t brown jelly disease. All 3 heads are covered with this stuff IMG_4683.jpeg IMG_4682.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I saw this post yesterday morning. I would have told you to restore the SG immediately. If something happens quickly return it quickly if you found it fast enough. I guess my questions are what was the salinity before and what was the salinity after? How long was it like this salinity when you found it?

This now looks like brown jelly disease. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you can take it out give it a smell. If it smells like death take it out try not to disturb any of that brown jelly, best to take it out by dropping it in a bowl and lifting it right out of the tank. You don't want to get any of that brown jelly on anything else.

OP
OP
His Coral Highness

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I saw this post yesterday morning. I would have told you to restore the SG immediately. If something happens quickly return it quickly if you found it fast enough. I guess my questions are what was the salinity before and what was the salinity after? How long was it like this salinity when you found it?

This now looks like brown jelly disease. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If you can take it out give it a smell. If it smells like death take it out try not to disturb any of that brown jelly, best to take it out by dropping it in a bowl and lifting it right out of the tank. You don't want to get any of that brown jelly on anything else.
Is there any way to treat it once I take it out? Or are you saying take it out and throw it away - I’d think that would be a last resort

cliam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to me and I lost a whole colony of hammers and it happens overnight. I had no time to react.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back