Happy Thanksgiving from the Reef Chemistry Forum!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1700658099994.png

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you have a great holiday!

I thought I'd give some info on a turkey topic that gets less air time than the usual tryptophan discussions...

Most people who eat turkey like to see it nicely browned. Here's what's happening when food is browned during roasting.

The brown color generally comes about from a series of reactions called the Maillard reaction.

At temperatures above 140 C, in one of these reactions, free amino groups (such as in proteins that contain lysine) can react with carbonyl groups in carbohydrates. These compounds then continue to decompose to a variety of colored and tasty compounds.

This article has a nicely detailed description of the process without being a pure science article:

Have a great day and Happy Reefing!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow. You learn something everyday! I thought a maillard reaction happened when you got chased by a duck! :oops:

angry fight GIF by BBC Earth

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1700658099994.png

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you have a great holiday!

I thought I'd give some info on a turkey topic that gets less air time than the usual tryptophan discussions...

Most people who eat turkey like to see it nicely browned. Here's what's happening when food is browned during roasting.

The brown color generally comes about from a series of reactions called the Maillard reaction.

At temperatures above 140 C, in one of these reactions, free amino groups (such as in proteins that contain lysine) can react with carbonyl groups in carbohydrates. These compounds then continue to decompose to a variety of colored and tasty compounds.

This article has a nicely detailed description of the process without being a pure science article:

Have a great day and Happy Reefing!
Does that reaction only when you place turkey in your reef tank? I’m going to put mine in now behind my rock so I don’t knock any of my corals over. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back