Hawaii Fish Ban Update

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These yellow tangs will be available at the old prices…
IMG_1430.jpeg
You think you prove something with this?
While it’s unfortunate, power outages, disease outbreaks are possible. This one photo has been circulated as the end-all be-all and really it doesn’t substantiate anything except an unfortunate mistake.

Guess how many yellow tangs die in aquaculture/larviculture? Way more than are produced for sale. In fact the vast majority(many many more than what’s in your propoganda)that are hatched perish before they even drop…they’re very much alive and sentient so please dont excuse that if you’re gonna be like this.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s unfortunate, power outages, disease outbreaks are possible. This one photo has been circulated as the end-all be-all and really it doesn’t substantiate anything except an unfortunate mistake.

Guess how many yellow tangs die in aquaculture/larviculture? Way more than are produced for sale. In fact the vast majority(many many more than what’s in your propoganda)that are hatched perish before they even drop…they’re very much alive and sentient so please dont excuse that if you’re gonna be like this.
Funny how the fishing industry is never brought up.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep in mind that photo is from many years back, ever since then I believe there’s been a hold on targeting the Achilles, at least for certain areas, so that the population can rebound.
Correct, thats why I posted that the photo was from a while back. I have not seen it (a hold on Achilles) - but you may be correct.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me first note that I agree with your comment about context and photographs or sound bites. Missused a lot and not cool. Gets spread around or talked about enough it becomes truth. In my opinion.

My reply is more on the second part of your post asking to guess how many Yellow Tangs die in aquaculture / larviculture. Traditional hobbyist, home, won't know this or have this information and therefore leaves the hobbyist to guess or take it as truth. Truth being a figure of speech not as in you are making stuff up.

I'm not trying to nit pick so I apologize but it just came across odd to me. Hope your day is well.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, thats why I posted that the photo was from a while back. I have not seen it (a hold on Achilles) - but you may be correct.

Yep went into effect pretty recently, but I've seen other similar bans taking place for other species, which goes to show how closely the ecosystem is being watched here

MT. Reefer

Mt.Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how the fishing industry is never brought up.
Isn't it though? I wonder how many of these folks who are in favor of the ban eat fish once a week? I guess a pretty fish is different that a salmon or Cod to them. At least I don't eat my tangs.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it though? I wonder how many of these folks who are in favor of the ban eat fish once a week? I guess a pretty fish is different that a salmon or Cod to them. At least I don't eat my tangs.
People do eat tangs and other other big fish we kept in tanks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back