Hawaii Fish Ban Update

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From a couple of sources . . . . . . .
The Hawaiian aquarium fishery has been shut down due to a court order requiring an environmental review. The court requirements have been satisfied and the State is moving forward in the permitting process. This is a two part meeting. The first is April 12, where DAR (Division of Aquatic Resources) will present the status of the fishery to the Land Board in a 92 page scientific analysis. Pending the outcome of the meeting Friday, a second meeting will occur in 6-8 weeks.

Nothing has gone according to plan in this process, so we should
not be surprised the opposition has requested the Board to ban the fishery at the April 12 meeting as well.

We need your assistance, now, and in a few months. We urge you to send a simple email to the Land Board.
CLICK HERE to send an email. (Correct email included)

You can elaborate as much as you like, but be clear in your position in the first sentence.

Click here for a Link to the recent findings by DAR that will be presented on Friday that you can review.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the update @vetteguy53081
….but will yellow tanks still sell north of $200 :angry-face: ?
Id bet fish from hawaii may be even more expensive if they do come back than the alternatives we’ve had. 100% wont be the same price as before the ban

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! Hopefully the ban will get lifted!
The ban has been lifted for a year or so now. The number of species allowed to be collected was cut from 40 to 8, and the total allowable catch was also changed. The hold up is due to BLNR not having issued any permits for collection. I don't know enough about the situation to understand why they have not issued permits, but it doesn't appear to be based on any real science or sustainability issues.

Hopefully this report will change that.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ban has been lifted for a year or so now. The number of species allowed to be collected was cut from 40 to 8, and the total allowable catch was also changed. The hold up is due to BLNR not having issued any permits for collection. I don't know enough about the situation to understand why they have not issued permits, but it doesn't appear to be based on any real science or sustainability issues.

Oh neat, the whole situation kinda confuses me to begin with haha. I've been following the ban for a little bit, but I get confused by the legalities of it and the specifics

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority here, but I hope the ban stays in place, unless it truly is sustainable for the fish populations. Maybe another decade of the ban would be best. I personally don't care if certain fish aren't available for my aquarium or if captive breds aren't as nice. I own 3 Biota YTs and they look just fine to me..if that means not plucking them from the ocean, I'm not selfish enough to demand a bright yellow to stare at for my own personal enjoyment at the expense of the YT wild populations.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kona Diver response yesterday.

Aloha and greetings from the islands,

As most of you are aware the Hawaiian aquarium fishery has been shut down for years while we worked through this review process. We are finally at the end stages of it after getting an accepted environmental review(EIS) affirming it in court, and clearing the path for issuing permits. We now have two meetings at the Board of Land and Natural Resources. (BLNR) we are asking all of our friends and interested parties to please take a moment and submit testimony in support of the fishery. We believe in science based fishery management and we also believe science provided by the Division of Aquatic Resources(DAR) is accurate and true….this fishery is the most managed and sustainable fishery in the State of Hawaii! It’s a model fishery that should be emulated, not banned. If you believe that resource management should be done through science and not arbitrary reasoning, please send in support. There are going to be two meetings, one this Friday, April 12th and another one in a couple months. If you have any questions or concerns, drop me a line and I’ll try my best to give you an answer and mahalo for all the support!

Affordable yellow tangs will return!

Attached is a flyer that has all the directions for submitting testimony and a link to the recent findings by DAR that will be presented on Friday that you can review and may help you craft your testimony

F0832BBE-85E8-447B-AC60-77DC675B2372.jpeg

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority here, but I hope the ban stays in place, unless it truly is sustainable for the fish populations. Maybe another decade of the ban would be best. I personally don't care if certain fish aren't available for my aquarium or if captive breds aren't as nice. I own 3 Biota YTs and they look just fine to me..if that means not plucking them from the ocean, I'm not selfish enough to demand a bright yellow to stare at for my own personal enjoyment at the expense of the YT wild populations.
Wild fish also behave different too, more natural rather than like koi

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices are never set in stone. We dictate the price outside of things we can’t control like fuel, electricity etc
The lfs will still jack the price up till everyone gets over the hype and the demand dies down! Then you’ll see them for $40 again.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lfs will still jack the price up till everyone gets over the hype and the demand dies down! Then you’ll see them for $40 again.
I don’t know about 40 bucks but not hundreds either. Money aside, the fishery should be a shining star for the hobby and trade of how things should be handled/conducted

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I just wanted to drop my random thought...a seagull post. I'm not going to read it either...don't

Your instincts serve you well. Basically the reason is the BLNR is learning they don’t have the legal right to withhold the permits as they’re not empowered to ban the fishery. We are legislated into statute therefore they can’t undo that. This unelected group that has no knowledge or experience have been sitting around trying to figure out how to deny the science from the state. The game is over

Send in supporting testimony if you can

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back