Head Pressure Loss with Soft Tubing

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 180 gallon that I am setting up and have a plumbing question.

Currently its has a DCP-10000 (Jebao) that is pumping up 4 ft from the stand (through 3/4 PVC) to the display tank. While I am not sure of the flow rate(new tank, new setup) I am considering a change.

When I bought this tank from the LFS, they did the initial setup however now I am looking to plumb in my UV. I plan on passing all return water through the UV light however in order to do so, its going to require quite a bit of plumbing.

If I plumb it with 'hard pipe' (PVC) I will likely add 5 90 degree elbows (which, as we all know will take my 4 ft of head pressure bringing it to 9-10 ft.) My question is, what if I plumb it with Black Vinyl tubing? While I do add some risk (barb fitting and clamps) I could soften out, and 'sweep' the 90s as opposed to hard 90s.

Just curious if this changes the math on the head pressure?

Few Other notes:
- I currently have a MDP-20000 pump, however Jebao has not released a flow chart for this model (other than marking numbers of "5200 gph and 30ft of head pressure")
- I will be installing a flow meter on the UV Output to measure flow, although, there would still be 6 ft of head pressure after the flow meter if using traditional PVC
- While the tank has a power heads, I am trying to target 10x volume for return, but this maybe overkill?

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unfortanely 3/4 is what the tank was setup for (existing bulk head) So while I can go bigger from pump through UV etc, once it gets to the bulk head, its 3/4

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortanely 3/4 is what the tank was setup for (existing bulk head) So while I can go bigger from pump through UV etc, once it gets to the bulk head, its 3/4
I personally would go with hard plumbing, if you have that option. But either way - oversize the return pluming to get the most out of that pump.

Run a return line that is 1in - 1.25in PVC pipe, and then reduce it down to the 3/4in right at the bulkhead. This will reduce overall friction and increase throughput. You'll be abel to utilize much more of the pumps capability, and loose much less to head pressure

Ive done something like this on a few builds and every time it results in a much higher flow form the return pump

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Run a return line that is 1in - 1.25in PVC pipe, and then reduce it down to the 3/4in right at the bulkhead. This will reduce overall friction and increase throughput. You'll be abel to utilize much more of the pumps capability, and loose much less to head pressure
This!
I plan on passing all return water through the UV light
Have you considered the efficiency of the uv light with the full bore of the return flow passing through it.
Dwell time is key for uv.
Meaning if you are going to pass 1 to 2 k gph through a uv, you're going to need a really big uv sterilizer.

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This!

Have you considered the efficiency of the uv light with the full bore of the return flow passing through it.
Dwell time is key for uv.
Meaning if you are going to pass 1 to 2 k gph through a uv, you're going to need a really big uv sterilizer.
While I like where your head is at, yes! The UV Light I have is WAY over sized, and has a max flow of 2800 GPH (for both Algae and Bacteria) according to Lifegard!

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally would go with hard plumbing, if you have that option. But either way - oversize the return pluming to get the most out of that pump.

Ive done something like this on a few builds and every time it results in a much higher flow form the return pump
Ive seen you posted this in other threads and thought the same. As the UV light is already sized for 1" I think thats what I will do, 1" as far as I can go, then adapt to 3/4.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That LifeGard in 90 watts. Can your Aquarium handle an additional 90 watts of heat?

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That LifeGard in 90 watts. Can your Aquarium handle an additional 90 watts of heat?
Yes! Had the same setup on my 120, and didnt have any heat issues

but great point that, to be honest, I didn't think about!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen you posted this in other threads and thought the same. As the UV light is already sized for 1" I think thats what I will do, 1" as far as I can go, then adapt to 3/4.
that will work - if you have not setup a return line with over sized pipe before, you will be amazed by just how much more throughput you get and how much you where loosing with "right-sized" pipe. I know I was the first time I tried it.

Of course for me - I'm always most interested in getting as much flow as I can to the outlets :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back