Hello all!! Glad I found this site! Starting my FIRST saltwater tank period have questions

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT - PS - I googled the walstad method - it is designed for Freshwater planted tanks - not reef tanks - unless I'm not finding it.
your absolutely correct fresh water only. People have tried to put something similar for Saltwater tanks and there are a few but not much info just show off video. It's basically creating a self-sustaining eco-system in your tank where the entire life-cycle sustains everything other than having to feed the fish. This is the reason I mentioned have a large CUC because in freshwater you really depend on Nirite Snails, Shrimp, and some others to really be the cleanup crew. I never ever in all the years I had the tank ever had to clean the glass as the CUC kept it spotless, same for water parameters after about 6-8 months I just stopped checking it because it just stabilized itself really. Never really had fish die on me except at the beginning of course, shrimp bred like crazy etc.. I'll try to post a pic to show how healthy it was and how crazy my plant growth was....and yes understand that Coral are animals not plants and it's a whole new game, but I'm up for the biology challenge :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
your absolutely correct fresh water only. People have tried to put something similar for Saltwater tanks and there are a few but not much info just show off video. It's basically creating a self-sustaining eco-system in your tank where the entire life-cycle sustains everything other than having to feed the fish. This is the reason I mentioned have a large CUC because in freshwater you really depend on Nirite Snails, Shrimp, and some others to really be the cleanup crew. I never ever in all the years I had the tank ever had to clean the glass as the CUC kept it spotless, same for water parameters after about 6-8 months I just stopped checking it because it just stabilized itself really. Never really had fish die on me except at the beginning of course, shrimp bred like crazy etc.. I'll try to post a pic to show how healthy it was and how crazy my plant growth was....and yes understand that Coral are animals not plants and it's a whole new game, but I'm up for the biology challenge :)
Yeah - I'm actually interested. I wonder - if you want to try it - it supposedly does much better in saltwater nano tanks - which are not expensive. You could then use your other tank for other fish your kids would enjoy.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will need a DI side. Generally the ones used for drinking aren't the same as needed for tanks. The water used for tanks isn't good for drinking.
So I can just probably order the DI cartridge and switch it out when I use it to fill my out fill or do water changes and then put the normal cartridge in when using it for drinking water. Is it ok to have the Mineral Cartridge on there to provide the calcium/alkalinity?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can just probably order the DI cartridge and switch it out when I use it to fill my out fill or do water changes and then put the normal cartridge in when using it for drinking water. Is it ok to have the Mineral Cartridge on there to provide the calcium/alkalinity?
Beyond my expertise here. If it were me, I would get a seperate system and recommend the BRS 5 stage. All I know, is that you need 0 TDS water in the end. Plus, where ever you water is made, you will need some sort of mixing station

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your enthusiasm with learning! I would highly recommend watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing. It takes you through every stage of setting up, maintaining and stocking a new tank and it is explained in a way that someone new can understand and fallow. Best of luck.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your enthusiasm with learning! I would highly recommend watching BRS 52 weeks of reefing. It takes you through every stage of setting up, maintaining and stocking a new tank and it is explained in a way that someone new can understand and fallow. Best of luck.
I was waiting for someone to say this after I forgot to mention this lol. I've watched was feels like a million of their videos and yes that was one of them :). Good looking out thank you

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting for someone to say this after I forgot to mention this lol. I've watched was feels like a million of their videos and yes that was one of them :). Good looking out thank you
These are indeed good videos for a new reefer. Keeping in mind that they are a retailer. Things aren't as hard and some equipment isn't as necessary as they lead to.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are indeed good videos for a new reefer. Keeping in mind that they are a retailer. Things aren't as hard and some equipment isn't as necessary as they lead to.
Thank you for pointing that out because I always tell myself that in the back of my mind....especially since I'm trying to start a self-sustaining ecosystem

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for pointing that out because I always tell myself that in the back of my mind....especially since I'm trying to start a self-sustaining ecosystem
Less depends on the equipment you have vs the practices you keep and ability to manage water chemistry. I run a sumpless RUGF (Reverse under gravel filtration) system. Something that isn't even sold. Tank is about 5 years old and I change water every few months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello All,

My name is Mike, I'm here in California.....I chose the name FreshSaltyGuy because I've only ever ran Freshwater tanks successfully for the past 15 years. I started off with a 20 gallon, then 50 gallon is where I ended up which was plenty. I was able to breed lots of fish in my freshwater tanks such as Gouramis, Guppies, etc.. I'm currently still running both the 50 gallon and 20 gallon successfully with my 50 gallon actually moved outside under a covered patio that we have, and so far so good, Algae is under control, with lots of shrimp and nirite snails to keep the glass perfect...... everything is healthy for the past 8 months. I should also mentioned about 10 years ago I moved over to the Walstad method on all my freshwater tanks and have amazing success with all of them as mentioned above.

Soooooooo now that I'm bored with that and really looking for a much larger challenge (& cleaner water) and my 3 girls constantly bugging me to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE daddy get a saltwater tank going, I figure I'd jump into a Saltwater hobby. I was able to get a AquaDream AD-620-RW 40 gallon tall tank brand new in box for $100 at auction so I figured if that's not a sign I don't know what is lol!! The tank doesn't come with the best equipment, but it does have a tiny 4 gallon sump with a 210 GPH submersible pum, Wet-Dry Filtration System with designated filter media divider. It also came with the cabinet. This tank sells for $1299, so I'm hoping it is decent. I know they say to start with 125 gallon if possible to help control water parameter better etc.. but I couldn't pass up the deal so here I am :)

With all that info out of the way, I do have LOTS and LOTS of questions, but I'll start with some basic stuff to make sure what I've read so far is true and accurate as I'll look to everyone here with experience to help me out please :)
My daughters want a pair of Sea Horses and knowing they aren't that easy to care for from what I've read especially for a beginner in this hobby, I'm working on talking them out of it for now to let them know how pretty we can make things look with SPS & LPS and some softies, with a huge cleanup crew, and a pair of clown fish or something like that to start. I know this MIGHT some crazy to some, but I will be running a Walstad type tank on my salt tank as well, meaning - No dosing, very very few water changes, etc... I've watched several videos and read lots of articles on this so it's obviously possible. I'm not doing it for the lazy hands off approach, but more for the natural aspect of it, and the basic challenge of keeping this tank beautiful with minimal work.

So here are some questions I have:

I know I want to go with Live Sand and Live Rock....is there one you all recommend and what to stay away from? I was looking at Carib Sea Argonite Reef Sand that has a size of 0.5mm-1mm as I did read about how it's better and more surface for anaerobic bacteria activity etc.. Also, if I later choose to do Sea Horses I read that is the best size??? So on that note I found for the live sand PetSmart has 20lb CaribSea Argalive Reef Sand on sale for $14.99 a bag right now ....is this a good quality sand and good grain size that I'm looking for? Also, do I need to use MagicMud for a base and then a 1" top coat of Live Sand if I'm looking to plant anything and as part of the walstad method?

For the live rock I've read Fiji Live rock is one of the best because it is very porous etc..etc. is there another rock that is just as good? I know it depends on my Aquascape, but how many pounds on average should I look for on a 40 gallon tank (really 36 gal because of the 4 gallon sump). ? Also, good site to buy live rock or should I just go to my LFS who I know has a ton but may be a bit more?

How soon after I place the Sand & Rock in there and the take cycles, can I start putting invertebrates (Clean up crew) is it as soon as the water clears or ?

Lighting - I know this is one of the more important aspects of the build especially once I get some corals in there. But on that note I don't want to break the bank, but don't want to go to cheap. Does anyone recommend a good bang for the buck light I can put on this tank? I saw this one on amazon and seems to have great reviews with videos from consumers and all -

Wave makers - This one will take a little more time for me to figure out. Right now I'm just planning on the sand, rock, and a few small fish once the tank is ready and the cleanup crew. Then next steps after a couple months will be corals, What wave maker should I be looking at for this 40g tall tank and how many of them? Any recommendations on placement?

Saltwater for the tank - What do most of you do mix your own or buy it at LFS? How difficult is it to mix it yourself and ensure the salt breaks down before using it and then testing it with a refractometer? How many days ahead can I prepare the saltwater and keep it without issue ?

Power outage - I'm already looking to get a battery backup is there a decent good bang for the buck you all recommend? What can I do since I'm running such a small sump to ensure if power & Battery go out that I don't get water everywhere? I've read about drilling a hole in the pipe, but is that the suction side or return side?

I apologize so much for all the questions, but this is years in the making and want to be sure I do this right to a certain extent and then learn and grow from this journey to hopefully help others. I'm also here if anyone is looking to go freshwater walstad method I have lots of experience with it so I can really help you out there.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and hopefully providing some answers. I'm looking to start filling the tank this weekend.

Live rock and Live sand best and will help with the cysle and lighting, if youre going with this style which is acceptable, look also at @noopsyche which is nicely priced as well as even a used Ai Prime OR Hydra 26 or 32 model - all mentioned are WiFi controlled from your phone

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to repeat - here is a father - who wants to create a tank (his first tank) for his daughters - who want seahorses.

IMHO - this is totally unrealistic. This is not unfriendly - it's like saying to someone on a field in Wisconsin - don't touch that electrified fence. The truth is that many people that start reef tanks quit - shortly thereafter - suggesting that a person use magic mud, create a special Walton type tank - in a saltwater tank - IMHO - is irresonsible. Though it sounds 'unfriendly' - imagine the kids say daddy why are the seahorses dying. Encouragement is one thing - reality is another - I actually debated (in my mind) - and decided not - that this was a trolling post - because its the exact opposite - IMHO - approach for a beginner in this hobby with kids to take. I didn't say it as firmly as I wanted to at the start - the whole prospect - given the questions asked - is insanity. IMHO

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and Live sand best and will help with the cysle and lighting, if youre going with this style which is acceptable, look also at @noopsyche which is nicely priced as well as even a used Ai Prime OR Hydra 26 or 32 model - all mentioned are WiFi controlled from your phone
So I guess my question in regard to lighting is for the Hydra which will I need 26 or 32? Since my tank is only 40 gal tall making it not very wide I'm thinking the 26? Agree?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess my question in regard to lighting is for the Hydra which will I need 26 or 32? Since my tank is only 40 gal tall making it not very wide I'm thinking the 26? Agree?
Are you planning to have seahorses? If so you don't need to spend that much on lighting.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning to have seahorses? If so you don't need to spend that much on lighting.
Seahorse require colder Temps, lower flow, and multiple feedings throughout the day. Their high maintenance and life demands are counter to what most coral will need. There are a few coral that can make it. None of which require expensive lighting.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well eventually I need it to be an entire ecosystem since I'm kind of doing a modified Walstad version with the tank. The concept is the same, basic live rock & Sand for the bacteria, cleaning crew to get nitrites down, and things like corals, clams, etc... are there to work to help clean the water and polish it. Am I crazy for thinking this lol

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jekyl I just spoke with APEC water systems and the system I have WILL work but to get DI I just have to buy a $50 add on not bad !! The guy was super helpful and even uses the same system to run his reef tanks so it was awesome to get someone on the phone to answer my concerns....

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorse require colder Temps, lower flow, and multiple feedings throughout the day. Their high maintenance and life demands are counter to what most coral will need. There are a few coral that can make it. None of which require expensive lighting.
Ya I totally get it and gathered that from what I've read .....thing bigger problem is how to convince the kiddos lol

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also initially started with freshwater and switched to fully saltwater. It is really a much more rewarding and exciting side of the fish keeping hobby. Probably the best advice I could give is to find someone in your area with a successful reef tank and model your reef tank off of them. Another tip is to never skimp out on cheap equipment if you want to do good in this hobby. Buying expensive equipment is a lot upfront, but it will be worth it when it lasts twice as long as the cheaper stuff. I saw that you posted an amazon light. I would ignore any weirdly named light off amazon and get something from the bigger companies : Kessil, Red Sea, Aqua illumination, Ecotech Marine, etc.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back