Hello from Whidbey Island!

FreeEnergy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Hello Reef2Reef community!

I’m brand new to reefing and am excited to embark on this new adventure and join this community. I’ve found that there’s so, so much to learn about this hobby and it’s great to know that there are so many people out there who love reefing.

I never really thought about having a fish tank. It’s not that I was against it, it just never crossed my mind as something to do. But then I went to Petco by chance one night after driving around to clear my head and somehow ended up bringing home a betta fish.

That then turned into me researching how to create the best environment for my betta, “Benimaru”, and that evolved into even more research in setting up larger aquariums. I decided that ultimately I wanted to start a saltwater aquarium.

Growing up my mom always had aquariums. The majority were saltwater. I remember that over the years we had a small octopus, a lionfish, and a sea urchin. I loved to just sit in front of it and watch the fish. It was amazing having a piece of the ocean in our home!

So, I decided that I’m going to set up my first saltwater aquarium. This will be my first aquarium (other than Benimaru’s). Every free moment of my time has been spent researching how to start a reef tank, I don’t even know how many hours I’ve researched, but it’s more than 30.

Other than my reefing adventure, I’m a mid-twenties married woman that works at a large national bank in retail banking. I’ve worked at this bank for nearly 5 years and am licensed with FINRA. I love finance, which will certainly help with budgeting the reef tank!

My husband and I have been together for 9 years and we have two cats and a dog. Our dog, Leo, is a 4 year old, 90lb German Shepherd. He is the best buddy boy and the best thing in my life (after my husband). I recently stopped pursuing my bachelor’s degree, so now I actually have time to figure out what hobbies I enjoy doing!

Currently, I’m focused on finding the right tank/stand/sump/equipment for my new reef tank. Most of my free time is spent researching and learning about saltwater aquariums, which has been a lot of fun. I have several word documents with information I’ve found. But I also love photography and playing piano!
welcome

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Crocodile Dundee Hello GIF by Laff

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple macros I took on Whidbey last Sept. I really loved the Olympic peninsula and we want to stay at Crescent Lake in the future
P9250313.jpg
P9250303.jpg
P9260358.jpg

P9260369.jpg
P9250327.jpg
I love these! You took some great photos. There is so much to photograph and see here. I’ve never been to Crescent Lake, but I’ve heard it’s beautiful as well. Definitely a weekend trip in the future!

Chriokid79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m brand new to reefing and am excited to embark on this new adventure and join this community. I’ve found that there’s so, so much to learn about this hobby and it’s great to know that there are so many people out there who love reefing.

I never really thought about having a fish tank. It’s not that I was against it, it just never crossed my mind as something to do. But then I went to Petco by chance one night after driving around to clear my head and somehow ended up bringing home a betta fish.

That then turned into me researching how to create the best environment for my betta, “Benimaru”, and that evolved into even more research in setting up larger aquariums. I decided that ultimately I wanted to start a saltwater aquarium.

Growing up my mom always had aquariums. The majority were saltwater. I remember that over the years we had a small octopus, a lionfish, and a sea urchin. I loved to just sit in front of it and watch the fish. It was amazing having a piece of the ocean in our home!

So, I decided that I’m going to set up my first saltwater aquarium. This will be my first aquarium (other than Benimaru’s). Every free moment of my time has been spent researching how to start a reef tank, I don’t even know how many hours I’ve researched, but it’s more than 30.

Other than my reefing adventure, I’m a mid-twenties married woman that works at a large national bank in retail banking. I’ve worked at this bank for nearly 5 years and am licensed with FINRA. I love finance, which will certainly help with budgeting the reef tank!

My husband and I have been together for 9 years and we have two cats and a dog. Our dog, Leo, is a 4 year old, 90lb German Shepherd. He is the best buddy boy and the best thing in my life (after my husband). I recently stopped pursuing my bachelor’s degree, so now I actually have time to figure out what hobbies I enjoy doing!

Currently, I’m focused on finding the right tank/stand/sump/equipment for my new reef tank. Most of my free time is spent researching and learning about saltwater aquariums, which has been a lot of fun. I have several word documents with information I’ve found. But I also love photography and playing piano!
Welcome! I was stationed at whidbey island from 2003 to 2007. Served in Vaq 141. Is your hubby in the military?

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Welcome from Seattle!

I originally moved to WA in 2013 to NAS Whidbey as a 21-year-old sailor!

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these! You took some great photos. There is so much to photograph and see here. I’ve never been to Crescent Lake, but I’ve heard it’s beautiful as well. Definitely a weekend trip in the future!
We drove up to Hurricane Ridge, then to Crescent Lake, to Rialto Beach and made it back to the Port Townsend ferry with a whole 15 mins before it left. I wish we had a whole week to explore. There is so much there. We'll make it back one day

OP
OP
SeaJelly

SeaJelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We drove up to Hurricane Ridge, then to Crescent Lake, to Rialto Beach and made it back to the Port Townsend ferry with a whole 15 mins before it left. I wish we had a whole week to explore. There is so much there. We'll make it back one day
Wow, that’s definitely an adventure. That sounds like it was a lot of fun! I’ve been in this area for almost 10 years, but I’ve never made it to Port Townsend. It’s definitely on my list because it’s only a ferry ride. This trick is that when you’re taking the ferry to PT, you generally have to make a reservation several days in advance because of the reduced ferry schedule.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif

Attachments

• welcome33.gif
    welcome33.gif
    1 MB · Views: 8

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back