Help corals dying?

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a reef tank mixed softies sps....lps.....i having a issue now all the corals that are dying have been in this tank for 6 months or longer first my birds nest and stylo had necrosis now my blue ora chalice and a stunner has lost all its tissue underneath and now is bleaching out quickly and i have a leperosis that isn't looking goos either i know everyone needs to know my tank parameters which i will have in a few just got home from work and things are not getting better my first question is does chalices release toxins while dying? if so should i run heavy carbon and do a water change asap ? all my fish are fine seem happy no signs of distress and my softies and euphillias are ok torch dun cans but my chalices are taking a hit bad please any help would be appreciated i will have a updated post with in a hour with all my parameters!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with a water change and running carbon. But until we get parameters, it is difficult to say.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MY water parameters are the following

ph 8.0
10.2 dkh
440 calcium
10ppm nitrate
0 undectectable phosphate I'm don't think this is a issue cause i have been dealing with a zero amount forever and the corals grew just fine had them for 9 months now
magnesium 1350 spot on

im so stump to what it is and could be

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with a water change and running carbon. But until we get parameters, it is difficult to say.

ph 8.0
10.2 dkh
440 calcium
10ppm nitrate
0 undectectable phosphate I'm don't think this is a issue cause i have been dealing with a zero amount forever and the corals grew just fine had them for 9 months now
magnesium 1350 spot on

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know i get that ......i am gonna start testing in a few mins....but my other question was do chalices release toxins at all while dying?

Yeah... good question, but I don't know. That does sound right; I have read some do release toxins. I don't know that you can count Chalices among those that do.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ph 8.0
10.2 dkh
440 calcium
10ppm nitrate
magnesium 1350 spot on

Your parameters look okay to me... The ALK is a bit high, but not so much so that I would take any corrective action. Over time, it will get consumed and the number will come down on its own.

Pictures... post some pictures. A full tank shot and perhaps some before/after pics of your corals?

Also, is this rapid onset or is this something that has been happening over time?

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look okay to me... The ALK is a bit high, but not so much so that I would take any corrective action. Over time, it will get consumed and the number will come down on its own.

Pictures... post some pictures. A full tank shot and perhaps some before/after pics of your corals?

Also, is this rapid onset or is this something that has been happening over time?
rapid within all the last 2 weeks the style and birds nest were gone within hours chalice taking awhile the underneath tissue started coming off to expose a lighter skeleton look underneath then the actual coral started to bleach i will post some pics

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, is this rapid onset or is this something that has

the only thing i can think off is that i added some nutri sea water like 5 gallons i wanted to try to raise phosphates up little naturally i didn't want to dose route it said it was low nitrate and phosphate so figure i introduce it that way just to get off that zero mark

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are a couple pics

Attachments

• 630991080 (1).jpg
    630991080 (1).jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 630991093.jpg
    630991093.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within 2 weeks isn't considered rapid. RTN kills within 24-48 hours in my experience. It sounds like it might be slow tissue necrosis, but pics would definitely be helpful.

Here is how I dealt with it, if it seems similar to your situation: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-brown-jelly-disease.754530/
not sure if i said it wrong this started 2 weeks ago not all at once first my style and birds nest had rapid necrosis they were gone within hours ....my chalices on the other hand have been slowly going tissue underneath once all the tissue underneath shed off the pic i posted where the chance is white on edge happened within a day and half its about 5 inch and i give it one more day and they thing will be completely gone

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm. Any algae or stringy slime coming off the corals... dinos perhaps?? Hard to say without a pic. Has there been a sudden change? How often do you water change and how much? Anything recently added. My best guess is water chemistry instability. Euphillia are pretty hardy I wouldn't doubt them surviving I put a hammer in my take after 2 weeks of running it is almost 2.5 years old now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run large mixed reefs and critical is to run hi grade carbon as LPS can release toxins that will hurt SPS.
Some questions:
-are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
- what test kits are you using ?
- have you calibrated refractometer?
- is there stray voltage if you stick fingers in tank?
- are you running moderate light and water flow?

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humm. Any algae or stringy slime coming off the corals... dinos perhaps?? Hard to say without a pic. Has there been a sudden change? How often do you water change and how much? Anything recently added. My best guess is water chemistry instability. Euphillia are pretty hardy I wouldn't doubt them surviving I put a hammer in my take after 2 weeks of running it is almost 2.5 years old
Humm. Any algae or stringy slime coming off the corals... dinos perhaps?? Hard to say without a pic. Has there been a sudden change? How often do you water change and how much? Anything recently added. My best guess is water chemistry instability. Euphillia are pretty hardy I wouldn't doubt them surviving I put a hammer in my take after 2 weeks of running it is almost 2.5 years old now
the chalice now has brown stringy stuff where it is dying nothing that was there to start the process of it i have no algae issues in my tank knock on wood thats why i am stumped...the only 2 things i did different i i ran chemo pure elite when i just did maintenance a couple weeks ago i usually use blue don't see where that would make a differnce i run purigen also....and my phosphate have been running zero forever now i wanted to try to bring it up a tiny bit so atlas it was detectable so i when i did my water change i added 5 gallons of nutri water because it said it has very low nitrate and phosphates so i wanted to add it that way instead of a like a neo phos situation but thats it its driving me crazy

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if i said it wrong this started 2 weeks ago not all at once first my style and birds nest had rapid necrosis they were gone within hours ....my chalices on the other hand have been slowly going tissue underneath once all the tissue underneath shed off the pic i posted where the chance is white on edge happened within a day and half its about 5 inch and i give it one more day and they thing will be completely gone

Interesting. I've had RTN 3 times before and each time it was a matter of water quality. Your chemistry doesn't give me any clues though. Do you use anything like carbon, Purigen, or a poly pad? If not, I recommend a poly pad if you suspect contamination (e.g. will turn blue with copper) or Purigen if you just want to try something to pull unknown stuff out of the water.

Do you run a UV sterilizer? It might be worth the expense. If not now, then for another situation later.

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run large mixed reefs and critical is to run hi grade carbon as LPS can release toxins that will hurt SPS.
Some questions:
-are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
- what test kits are you using ?
- have you calibrated refractometer?
- is there stray voltage if you stick fingers in tank?
- are you running moderate light and water flow?
test kits are
nitrates -api
mag-nyos
calcium-nyos
alk-hanna checker
salinity-hanna checker
ph-salifert

water i use distilled have been from the get go its so cheap for me not a big deal and definitely no voltage issues and I'm running 3 ai prime 16 on a 65 gallon and i run the nyos carbon mostly all carbon is the same i would image unless you are using rx 0.8 but its pellet form and have 1695gph hydor koralia and a 595gph hydor alone with a hyyger dc small head

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Distilled water can have altered ph
I would recommend taking a good size water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test the water for you and verify your readings and compare them
Have them verify salinity also

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've had RTN 3 times before and each time it was a matter of water quality. Your chemistry doesn't give me any clues though. Do you use anything like carbon, Purigen, or a poly pad? If not, I recommend a poly pad if you suspect contamination (e.g. will turn blue with copper) or Purigen if you just want to try something to pull unknown stuff out of the water.

Do you run a UV sterilizer? It might be worth the expense. If not now, then for another situation later.
no uv at all but i do run purigen though all the time and run nyos carbon thats why man I'm so confused don't even know thats why i had to ask on here just doesn't make sense I'm not a newbie but not a veteran at this either so hopefully this is the end i have been testing daily and really keeping it stable so hopefully i can see results enough to make a determination if it was water params off

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water can have altered ph
I would recommend taking a good size water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test the water for you and verify your readings and compare them
Have them verify salinity also
ph always runs a stable 8.0 i have used the distilled water from the day i set it up all changes i do is with it maybe a bad batch that was not purified right? would adding 5 gallons of nutri sea water have some ill effect like that on corals? i added 5 gallons of that with my last water change and i haven't changed anything in a year on what i use and how i do it this was first time.. i wanted to raise my phosphate off zero i didn't want to do neo phos the sea water said it was very low phosphate and nitrate so i used that

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 91 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 92 45.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 19 9.4%
Back