Chemi Pure + Phosguard?

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering does anyone know if it is ok to use chemi pure elite and Phosguard in filtration at same time? I didn't know for sure if for some odd reason mixing the two would have any kind of negative affect on my tank which i wouldn't think so saying its removing things out of my tank not adding anything in but just to be sure would like a better opinion?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering does anyone know if it is ok to use chemi pure elite and Phosguard in filtration at same time? I didn't know for sure if for some odd reason mixing the two would have any kind of negative affect on my tank which i wouldn't think so saying its removing things out of my tank not adding anything in but just to be sure would like a better opinion?
I had a problem algae and not thinking I used chempure and phosban and it did rid me of those problems but also kept any good algae from growing and killed all my cheato so it took awhile to get back to normal so if possible I would find another solution but to answer your question they didn't have an effect on live stock the way you think but no good algae is real bad and finding cheato hasn't been easy as all my outlets have been sold out good luck n great reefing.R

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Purigen, Carbon, biomedia, and Phosguard in my tank for over a year now. It is very successful, I have low nutrients, barely any algae, and happy fish and corals.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please let me know your formula so l can use it.thanku R
Don’t really have a “formula”, I just use the standard bags that my LFS sells (you can buy online too, but I try to support small business as much as possible).
AEBC66E1-049E-4347-B9FF-2B0D0304B61D.jpeg

I have a 28g tank, but I don’t run a skimmer or a refugium and I feed a lot. Every few days I’ll wash my media off, (also have a filter sponge) and the bags will last much longer that way.

for carbon, I have a media bag that I put some carbon in and change it out every 10 days or so, and just hang it in the sump area of my AIO.

for biomedia, I have a media bag inside the media basket full of Matrix (seachem makes that too) as well as some MarinePure spheres that I leave in the bottom of the sump.

I’ve documented everything in my build thread if you want to check it out!

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question was not pertaining to the fact i have algae right now ...right now everything is good more or less a precautionary measure i wanted to add the phosguard heard good things about making phosphate levels drop quick and dramatically i also run chemi pure elite with the ferric oxide which will take care of phosphate also just wanted to make sure if i added it did not cause any issues some how chemically mixing the two medias cause i would put them in the same chamber ....as of right now i have purigen, chemi pure elite, bio ceramic media , protein skimmer, and ammonia remover media just incase in future at any point something dies off and i can't get to it at least I'm one step ahead in removing ammonia thanks for input

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem algae and not thinking I used chempure and phosban and it did rid me of those problems but also kept any good algae from growing and killed all my cheato so it took awhile to get back to normal so if possible I would find another solution but to answer your question they didn't have an effect on live stock the way you think but no good algae is real bad and finding cheato hasn't been easy as all my outlets have been sold out good luck n great reefing.R
Times are tough right now can't find to much at all my LFS"s are closed so I'm limited also figured i would ask.... doing a water change tomorrow and i wanted to add the phos guard will phos guard kill coraline algae?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Times are tough right now can't find to much at all my LFS"s are closed so I'm limited also figured i would ask.... doing a water change tomorrow and i wanted to add the phos guard will phos guard kill coraline algae?
It didn't kill mine in fact mine has taken off like crazy but I have been adding reefbuilder every other day but no I didn't have any problems other than algae loss good and bad I understand with the lockdown n all going on others may not agree but useing phosban will b ok I test very often n when my number s start to climb I dose it good luck n happy reefing R

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ReefBud508

First #WelcometoR2R . Glad you joined.

i would ask first, is there a reason you want to add it in? If everything is good now I would maintain what you are doing. By putting both in you are not mixing chemical as much as absorbing compounds out of the water. Chemipure elite as ou said has gfo. What is your Po4 now? I would check numbers also.

if things are good and numbers are good sounds like you are doing good and no change needed. Plus save some supplies

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @ReefBud508

First #WelcometoR2R . Glad you joined.

i would ask first, is there a reason you want to add it in? If everything is good now I would maintain what you are doing. By putting both in you are not mixing chemical as much as absorbing compounds out of the water. Chemipure elite as ou said has gfo. What is your Po4 now? I would check numbers also.

if things are good and numbers are good sounds like you are doing good and no change needed. Plus save some supplies
Currently my phosphate is at 0.05 holding steady around there hasn't gone down or up in weeks and maybe i am just being really picky and wanting to hit that magic number 0 but i figured the phos guard would take care of that little bit of elevation? Also to i tried doing a reef tank when i was 17 18 yrs old and i failed horribly i mean bad i had algae that might have been new species i wouldn't be surprised lol so now i am little older and wiser and a lot more broke i just want to keep things going the way they are i know stuff can pop up over night literally so maybe just being real picky?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them both simultaneously and found that my phosphates would bottom out causing pretty bad dinos. Might work better for you, but I’ve stopped using phosguard and have seen an improvement. It was good for helping fight GHA though.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my phosphate is at 0.05 holding steady around there hasn't gone down or up in weeks and maybe i am just being really picky and wanting to hit that magic number 0 but i figured the phos guard would take care of that little bit of elevation? Also to i tried doing a reef tank when i was 17 18 yrs old and i failed horribly i mean bad i had algae that might have been new species i wouldn't be surprised lol so now i am little older and wiser and a lot more broke i just want to keep things going the way they are i know stuff can pop up over night literally so maybe just being real picky?
.05 is a great number, don’t change anything!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong w picky I to am looking for the same number and I am just now learning to use a computer lol. I still dose a little if my numbers start climbing but not often as I killed my macro reactor n haven't either had the money when I found it or they were sold out when I did older wiser n broker but happy non the less.happy reefing got to put grandson to bed ya.R

OP
OP
ReefBud508

ReefBud508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.05 is a great number, don’t change anything!
Well i will take the advice saying i don't have a issue with any algae nor does any of my corals seem to hate the water quality at this time i will hold steady on the phos guard I'm still fresh to this so i didn't know how fast the phosphate levels can rise i figured once it starts it could take hours or days for it to spike outta control so was just worried thanks for input

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question was not pertaining to the fact i have algae right now ...right now everything is good more or less a precautionary measure i wanted to add the phosguard heard good things about making phosphate levels drop quick and dramatically i also run chemi pure elite with the ferric oxide which will take care of phosphate also just wanted to make sure if i added it did not cause any issues some how chemically mixing the two medias cause i would put them in the same chamber ....as of right now i have purigen, chemi pure elite, bio ceramic media , protein skimmer, and ammonia remover media just incase in future at any point something dies off and i can't get to it at least I'm one step ahead in removing ammonia thanks for input
If you’re not having issues I wouldn’t change a thing. If your tank is healthy and growing well you could cause issues by rapidly cutting nutrients out. Cyano, algae, coral die off, etc. Don’t try to chase down ideal numbers, just listen to the tank. If all’s well don’t do anything. Let it be. As everything grows it’ll start using up more n and p anyway.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i will take the advice saying i don't have a issue with any algae nor does any of my corals seem to hate the water quality at this time i will hold steady on the phos guard I'm still fresh to this so i didn't know how fast the phosphate levels can rise i figured once it starts it could take hours or days for it to spike outta control so was just worried thanks for input
If it’s not broke, don’t fix it :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back