HELP!! Elegance coral retracted

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on my elegance??

Transferring from my 40g to 100g, it's been in the 100g for a week and looking good until today. Was in the 40g for about 18 months.

Noticed it pooping a lot, now thinking it was expelling Zooxanthellae.

Lighting is the same, but mounted higher from the water and the tank is deeper.

Guessing the PAR is higher as it was a bit shaded in the 40g.

Could this be happening from increased PAR and therefore excess Zooxanthellae which it is trying to expel quickly??

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15ish
PO4 not measured

Other params in pic.

20210605_205531.jpg Screenshot_20210605-210716.png

JohnMzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they just close up for a day or three. Don't overreact and start changing too many things if the rest of the tank is happy.

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed that's all it is. It has done this before, but never to this extent.

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is your elegance?
It's looking better, not great, but better.

Think the problem was high PAR after transferring it over to the new tank. I noticed what I thought was lots of poop, but now think was Zooxanthellae being expelled. So I moved it to a shaded area and it perked back up.

I had thought that the new tank being deeper, lights mounted higher and a PAR reading of about 50-70, and parameters being similar it would be fine, but it must have been far more shaded in the old tank than I realized.

Now having issues with a couple digitata, my Galaxea and an Acro. Guessing it's the PAR again as my levels are good!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just saw this now. With proper conditions, these are beauties. I got mine just shy of baseball size and now its soccer ball size. (see below). Placement and lighting is important for these corals. Moderate light and water flow is most favorable.
Elegance Coral have 3main strategies of getting food. The first source of food is through their symbiotic relationship with zooxanthellae, a marine algae that is living within its body. Elegance coral is a photosynthetic coral that gets part of its diet from lightning. So as long as you have proper lighting it will get most of the important nutrients to live.
Additionally, it will benefit from additional feedings as just lights won’t be sufficient. Feed your coral regularly and daily if you can. Mysis, small fish, and brine shrimp and small plankton all are great food for Elegance coral. Just make sure that you are feeding it small chunks of food. It may accept larger pieces however at night it will regurgitate it back out.

600g progress d.jpg

Back