Help ID Chromis issue - bacterial infection?

krisjoseph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I suspect that one of my Chromis has a bacterial infection, based on reading through fish disease symptoms. Can anyone help me confirm?

She has raised scales on the rear half of her body, on both sides. No signs of white spots, discolouration, redness or anything else; swimming and eating normally. I first noticed it last night, and it seems to be spreading towards her tail area tonight.

I grabbed a couple of pics but they're not ideal -- she's being shy. The scales look white but it's just the way my light's catching her, I think.

No other fish in the tank have issues (including four other Chromis).

Full disclosure: I had an auto-feeder accident last week and had to siphon a bunch of pellets out of my tank. I'm sure I missed some that got into my rocks, but did a water change in Saturday (20%) and have been monitoring closely. I've been expecting fallout from the accident but so far all I've seen is a bit of ammonia (0.2 ppm measured last night). Nitrites are 0ppm; nitrates 2ppm; negligible phosphate; alkalinity at 8dKH and pH varying from 8.2 to 8.3 during the day. My tank is 100g (plus a 35g sump) and is 6 months old.

Thanks for any advice!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421284451.324031.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421284463.478425.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell much from the pics. But for the time being, I would worry more about the ammonia than the chromis. Even 0.2 ppm is a bad thing. Keep an ammonia neutralizer and freshly mixed SW handy. You might wanna pick up one of these for active monitoring: Seachem. Ammonia Alert

OP
OP
krisjoseph

krisjoseph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just retested an ammonia is back at 0ppm!

I've also been watching the tank carefully tonight -- the afflicted Chromis is being harassed by her tankmates :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just retested an ammonia is back at 0ppm!

I've also been watching the tank carefully tonight -- the afflicted Chromis is being harassed by her tankmates :(

Healthy fish usually will attack/harass sick/weak fish - it's war of the ocean! If you can, move the chromis into a QT. You can treat with an antibiotic such as Kanaplex in there. I would also treat with metronidazole in case this turns out to be Uronema.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back