Help me test my new webcam (Please)

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I know there are lots of threads about webcams and which are the best. For 15+ years I have been using Axis cameras. I think they are one of the best webcams out there.

They come with a high price, but they are broadcast quality with a built in webserver. I just got the newest release and wanted to get some thoughts from those accessing it across the web, because that can be a very different experience than accessing it from my home. Both cameras are full PTZ, so you should be able to move the camera to chase the fish of your choice around the tank. The original camera has a 20x Optical Zoom the new camera is a 30x Optical Zoom.

The original webcam is an Axis V5915, if the image stalls on you after 15 seconds goto the gear in the bottom right corner of the screen, click on that and choose MJPEG instead of H264.
The link to the original webcam is o2manyfish.com

The new camera is an Axis V5925, this has better Auto White balance compensation and from my testing a working H264 Codec which should mean better quality and smoother video.
The link for the new camera is o2manyfish New

I'm curious if people are seeing a difference in picture quality, smoothness of the video, responsiveness to the PTZ commands and a better look at the tank with the updated Auto White Balance correction. Please check both the h264 and MJPEG Codec on the new camera.

So far I have only played with the camera using Chrome.

The lights are on starting at 4pm on weekdays and 11am on weekends - there is about a 90 minute rampup that is very blue before getting to a much whiter setting. The lights are 12 Radion G6 Pro XR30's.

Tank is 750g - 10x4x2.5. There are about 130 fish in the tank.

Thanks for taking a few mins to look at the webcams and let me know what differences you see. I apologize for the mess around the tank but we are putting new floors in our house this month and we have crap everywhere.

Thanks

Dave B

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did we get from Amazon? Video quality/response seems much better with the original camera (different locations though, so that could be effecting image quality). Nice tank!

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'm looking for a nice webcam too. Thanks for sharing!

What bitrate / framerate is it supposed to stream at? The image on my phone doesn't look right - do I need to adjust settings in the client? Is there an iframe embed link that only shows the player scaled to the viewport?

Screenshot_20230408-104730.png

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What bitrate / framerate is it supposed to stream at? The image on my phone doesn't look right - do I need to adjust settings in the client? Is there an iframe embed link that only shows the player scaled to the viewport?

I just realized it's probably because your lights are off from the times you listed. What timezone?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked it out on a more stable 5g connection from my cellphone. Swapped to the autofocus and it became smooth. Seems really nice. Does it have a mechanical zoom lens? How do you like it so far?

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We are in Los Angeles - Lights come on after 4pm PST.

There might be an imbed link, but the manuals for getting that stuff are circular logic at its best. I'll take a look.

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked it out on a more stable 5g connection from my cellphone. Swapped to the autofocus and it became smooth. Seems really nice. Does it have a mechanical zoom lens? How do you like it so far?

It has both an optical/mechanical zoom and they it can go to like 200x in digital. But the pic quality in the digital zoom goes way down so I have it partially disabled. With the 30x optical I am able to see if polpys are in or out and that's enough zoom for me

Thanks for taking the time to check it out again on a different connection.

The only issue I have with the camera is that the older model the V5915 has an auto white balance compensation that works well. The 5925 the Auto white doesn't work as well, but then when the lights are at full blue I can have the camera adjust for the white balance under those lights and the picture turns out amazing. But during the day when the sunlight is coming in and no blue tank lights the tank looks like crap and you can't see anything. I'm looking to see if the camera has an event to set the white balance at certain times during the day.

Dave B

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen your previous setup... But this is really cool and i think i must do a setup like this for my own tank given that ive always been a network and webcam nerd.

For me it works and doesn't lock up like others said however i would add that the framerate is rather low

Max Rackstraw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen your previous setup... But this is really cool and i think i must do a setup like this for my own tank given that ive always been a network and webcam nerd.

For me it works and doesn't lock up like others said however i would add that the framerate is rather low
WOAH i just figured out how the zoom works thats crazy man i can see everything going on with each polyp

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 30x optical I am able to see if polpys are in or out and that's enough zoom for me

That is awesome and the price seems justified. Please share your solution to the white balance. This sounds like a more useful solution than the gphoto computer I've setup to automate a DSLR!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemed smooth to me. I saw the little dog. A person working. An assessor clear as day. The two yellow coris wrasse type fish fighting. They are quick.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I know there are lots of threads about webcams and which are the best. For 15+ years I have been using Axis cameras. I think they are one of the best webcams out there.

They come with a high price, but they are broadcast quality with a built in webserver. I just got the newest release and wanted to get some thoughts from those accessing it across the web, because that can be a very different experience than accessing it from my home. Both cameras are full PTZ, so you should be able to move the camera to chase the fish of your choice around the tank. The original camera has a 20x Optical Zoom the new camera is a 30x Optical Zoom.

The original webcam is an Axis V5915, if the image stalls on you after 15 seconds goto the gear in the bottom right corner of the screen, click on that and choose MJPEG instead of H264.
The link to the original webcam is o2manyfish.com

The new camera is an Axis V5925, this has better Auto White balance compensation and from my testing a working H264 Codec which should mean better quality and smoother video.
The link for the new camera is o2manyfish New

I'm curious if people are seeing a difference in picture quality, smoothness of the video, responsiveness to the PTZ commands and a better look at the tank with the updated Auto White Balance correction. Please check both the h264 and MJPEG Codec on the new camera.

So far I have only played with the camera using Chrome.

The lights are on starting at 4pm on weekdays and 11am on weekends - there is about a 90 minute rampup that is very blue before getting to a much whiter setting. The lights are 12 Radion G6 Pro XR30's.

Tank is 750g - 10x4x2.5. There are about 130 fish in the tank.

Thanks for taking a few mins to look at the webcams and let me know what differences you see. I apologize for the mess around the tank but we are putting new floors in our house this month and we have crap everywhere.

Thanks

Dave B
Nice. Axis cameras aren't cheap. They're good though.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats amazing. New one is much better for me.

You have a fallen frag bottom right of the tank:
1681710886700.png

Last edited:

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a few M-4026-LV cams, and have the same issue with Whitebalance. In my old P series I was able to spot pick a area to adjust whitebalance to, but that feature seems gone in the GUI. I also can't find it in Advanced features.

I will talk to our Axis person and ask him.

You should be able to switch this by making profiles and events. When using advanced light which ramp up different everyday you could do it by measuring light in the cam and creating a event.
But yet.... the WB problem persist in the new FW.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 98 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back