Help me whit my Achilles tang!!!

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a question about my Achilles tang. I stardet my 4. aquarium and I got some new fish. A few days ago I noticed that my Achilles tang was scratching his gills and head on the sand. I don't know if he has gill flukes. He is swimming normally, he's eating normally, the water is very clean, he doesn't have ich or any other diseases. Also he's very territorial towards other fish. He's not showing any symptoms of gill flukes other than scratching on the sand. Also there are little dark white spots and lines but I think its from scratching. Today he's not scratching a lot but he's still scratching a litlle.If he has gill flukes can someone please help me i don't want him to die.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a question about my Achilles tang. I stardet my 4. aquarium and I got some new fish. A few days ago I noticed that my Achilles tang was scratching his gills and head on the sand. I don't know if he has gill flukes. He is swimming normally, he's eating normally, the water is very clean, he doesn't have ich or any other diseases. Also he's very territorial towards other fish. He's not showing any symptoms of gill flukes other than scratching on the sand. Also there are little dark white spots and lines but I think its from scratching. Today he's not scratching a lot but he's still scratching a litlle.If he has gill flukes can someone please help me i don't want him to die.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Scratching/flashing is often the only symptom you will see with flukes infections at first. Other symptoms develop as the disease progresses.

Do you have access to medication containing praziquantel? Hyposalinity also works, but that cannot be done in tanks with invertebrates in them.

Jay

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I am trying to buy PraziPro but i can't find it in my city. He got worse now his eye is cloudy. Can I put the medication in the aquarium whit other fish? I will try PraziPro if that doesn't work is freshwater dipping an option?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I am trying to buy PraziPro but i can't find it in my city. He got worse now his eye is cloudy. Can I put the medication in the aquarium whit other fish? I will try PraziPro if that doesn't work is freshwater dipping an option?

Is just one eye cloudy? With flukes, usually both eyes get cloudy.

Prazipro (praziquantel) is generally safe for all aquarium animals if the tank has good aeration in it. A freshwater dip can buy you some time, but does have some risk to it because you have to catch the fish to do it, and that can injure it if you are not careful. Here is some information about dips:

Jay

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the 1 eye that got cloudy was because of scratching, I put him in a 54 Liter quarantine aquarium whit trimarin by esha. I checked up on him this morning and the eye is way less cloudy but he's still scratching on the glass. It says that i have to put the trimarin 2 times a week to kill the flukes. Thank you.

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little photo of him if maybe somebody can notice a disease of he has a another one. I hopefully think he has not.

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. I forgot to put it in the last reply.

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_093202046.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240103_093202046.MP.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 84

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the 1 eye that got cloudy was because of scratching, I put him in a 54 Liter quarantine aquarium whit trimarin by esha. I checked up on him this morning and the eye is way less cloudy but he's still scratching on the glass. It says that i have to put the trimarin 2 times a week to kill the flukes. Thank you.

Esha products are not common in the US. I looked up the ingredients of Trimarin and it is not clear. It seems to contain some copper, an antiseptic and iodine/povidone. None of those are really effective against flukes.

eSHA gdex contains praziquantel, and that will work for flukes. However, you may be aware, but achilles tangs are VERY susceptible to marine ich as well.

Jay

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw little dots that seemed like marine velvet so I got scared and ordered eSHa 2009 and eSHa gdex. Can any of the 3 medicines cure him. Im also not sure if o can mix them.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a UV sterilizer? That might help with this issue in the future. Good luck. Beautiful fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw little dots that seemed like marine velvet so I got scared and ordered eSHa 2009 and eSHa gdex. Can any of the 3 medicines cure him. Im also not sure if o can mix them.
Sorry, I can’t tell you if you can mix these. Can you contact the company?

As I mentioned in my first post, another option would be hyposalinity. That will control ich and flukes at the same time.

Jay

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I can’t tell you if you can mix these. Can you contact the company?

As I mentioned in my first post, another option would be hyposalinity. That will control ich and flukes at the same time.

Jay
Myself I am gonna try to contact the company, but I also think I can mix them because on their website there is a manual how to make a quarantine tank. It says that i have to mix all of their 5 medicines for it to be a quarantine tank. Also i tried hyposalinity and my salinity is on 120. He's better now and i apriciate the help you are giving me.

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got more problems with him! Now on his left eye he has a little white dot, for sure not eye flukes he's stop scratching he had flukes before. He's tired of the medication he started going near at the top of the QT but he has a air pump. Just today he started going near the top, but he has the white dot on the eye for 3 days now. It's not spreading, he's eating well. What do you all think about it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-171031.png
    Screenshot_20240117-171031.png
    609.2 KB · Views: 51

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got more problems with him! Now on his left eye he has a little white dot, for sure not eye flukes he's stop scratching he had flukes before. He's tired of the medication he started going near at the top of the QT but he has an air pump. Just today he started going near the top, but he has the white dot on the eye for 3 days now. It's not spreading, he's eating well. What do you all think about it?
Can you tell - is the spot on the outside surface of the eye or inside the eye? It’s just on one eye, right?

OP
OP
A

aquaat13thfloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's it the eye. Is it a bacterial infection, and I think its not Lymphocytes because its no on the surface. Do I treat him whit Trimarin?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's it the eye. Is it a bacterial infection, and I think its not Lymphocytes because its no on the surface. Do I treat him whit Trimarin?
It could be a cataract. Fish develop this in captivity for unknown reasons. There is also a rare internal eye fluke. Neither of those conditions are treatable though, sorry.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back