Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity
Jay Hemdal 2021

This term refers to a long-term bath treatment for marine fishes in which the salt content of the water is lowered and held below the point that certain parasites can survive. The salt level reached, and the time of the treatment are the two variables. Hyposalinity can be used as a primary treatment against certain marine fish diseases (see below) or as a component of an active quarantine for newly acquired fish.

To clarify for beginners: you cannot perform hyposalinity on fish when invertebrates are in the tank. You must isolate the fish to a fish-only situation.

Before instituting a hyposalinity treatment, you need to decide what measurement units you plan on using – salinity or specific gravity. Then, you must have a very accurate measuring device. A laboratory grade hydrometer is best for accurate specific gravity measurements, or to standardize another measurement means. The device employed must be capable of accurately measuring down to one part per thousand, or one specific gravity unit. Better yet is a device that can read to twice that resolution. For example; capable of measuring 16.5 ppt or 1.0125 specific gravity units. Most handheld refractometers are not accurate enough. Swing arm hydrometers can measure this small of a difference, but they must be first checked for accuracy against a laboratory hydrometer.

There are two basic means to administer a hyposalinity treatment: in the display tank or in a quarantine/treatment tank. Invertebrates and some algae cannot survive hyposalinity, so must be removed prior to a hyposalinity treatment (of course, they then need to be cleared of potential disease by use of a proper fallow period). There are benefits and drawbacks to administering hyposalinity in these two modes:

Quarantine tank: Little to no microbiome die-off. Less salt lost. Ability to add other medications during the process if required. System may not be biologically robust enough to manage ammonia levels. Poor pH buffering. Requires a second aquarium and letting the infected display tank go fallow. Ability to use dechlorinated tap water to dilute the seawater, saving time and cost over using reverse osmosis water.

Display tank: Reduces the fallow period and doesn’t require a second tank, unless invertebrates are present. Better pH control in most instances. Usually, more saltwater is lost during the process due to the larger aquarium. In established tanks with much microfauna, there may be a significant die-off of algae and small invertebrates. May need to use reverse osmosis water as the dilutant in order to reduce nutrient loading for algae control.

Hyposalinity is really a targeted treatment for marine ich (Cryptocaryon irritans), marine flukes (including Neobenedenia sp.) and has some control over Turbellarian worms (including “black ich”). It does NOT control velvet (Amyloodinium marinum) or clownfish disease, Brooklynella hostilis. There are reports that hyposalinity actually increases the incidence of Uronema, especially in newly acquired fish. Hyposalinity has no direct affect on bacterial, fungal or any internal infections of marine fishes. In rare cases, fish may be infected with brackish water flukes as they travel through the supply chain. In these rare instances, hyposalinity will actually make the disease worse. Experiments have been tried in these cases with “hypersalinity”, holding the fish at higher-than-normal salinity, but results have been poor. In the case of brackish water flukes, praziquantel should be used.

Begin the hyposalinity treatment by determining the final salinity as well as the time and schedule to reach that level. Full hyposalinity is required in order to treat Cryptocaryon, and that equates to a specific gravity of 1.009 (temperature calibrated at 75 degrees F.) or a salinity of 12 parts per thousand. If only Neobenedenia is being controlled, the target can be set a bit higher, to a specific gravity of 1.012 or a salinity of 16 ppt. The time required to reach these endpoints depends on the starting salinity of the tank, as well as the severity of any disease. If severe disease is present, dropping the salinity more quickly, while stressful, starts the treatment faster. Likewise, starting a tank into hyposalinity from a specific gravity of 1.026 will require more time than if the aquarium is already at a lower specific gravity, perhaps 1.022. There is NO firm rule as to how fast to lower the salinity, and some fish simply do not handle hyposalinity as well as others. Inshore fishes tend to handle hyposalinity much better than do deep reef fishes. A general rule of thumb is to reduce the salinity of the aquarium to hyposalinity over 48 hours, in at least four steps. In cases where there is severe disease, hyposalinity should be reached in 24 hours using four steps. Deep reef fish, showing no overt disease and being held at a salinity of 35 ppt might be best lowered in six steps, over 72 hours. It is vital to understand that marine fish can handle a reduction in salinity very well, but the return to normal salinity at the end of the treatment must be done much more slowly. The general recommendation is to return the fish to normal salinity over five days, in at least ten increments. Smaller fish seem more stressed by a rise in salinity than do larger fish. This is likely due to vastly different surface to volume ratios between large and small fish.

During hyposalinity, always monitor the ammonia level as well as the pH to ensure they remain in the proper range. Don’t try to maintain full reef aquarium pH levels during hyposalinity – a slightly lower pH reduces the toxic affect of any ammonia. As long as the aquarium is well aerated, a pH above 7.6 is adequate. Don't raise the water temperature beyond normal. That is a treatment for freshwater ich, not marine ich. 79 degree F. is a good target temperature.

Exactly how to make the salinity adjustments in an accurate fashion requires some mathematical calculations. You need to decide how many days the transition will take, and then how many adjustments you are able to make each day. You then know the number of dilutions you will be making. After that, you need to calculate the change in salinity (in ppt or specific gravity units). You then divide the change in salinity by the number of changes to be made, and that gives the magnitude of each change. However, you really need to recalculate for each change after the first one. Here is an example:

A 20-gallon aquarium at 35 ppt needs to be brought down to 16 ppt over three days. Four adjustments will be made each day, for a total of 12. The change in salinity totals 16 ppt. To make this change in 12 steps, each drop should be 1.33 ppt. Multiply 1.33 by 100 and divide by 35. That equals about 4%. Removing 4% of the tank water and replacing it with freshwater will drop the salinity to 33.7. Repeat the process for each of the next 11 steps. Raising the salinity works in reverse.

When it is all said and done, most people just eyeball the changes as the math becomes pretty convoluted. Raising the salinity can be pretty wasteful if you drain water out of the tank and replace it with slightly more saline water. Many people end up making strong brine solutions and mix that in slowly. Beware though; if you dissolve sea salt at a salinity higher than about 50 ppt, subtle changes can occur, including precipitation of carbonates.

Fish should remain in hyposalinity for 30 days beyond the date that obvious disease symptoms were last seen. Neobenedenia treatments are best to run for 35 days.

###

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My last hypo was over an 11 day period in a 93g cube tank

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pro tip for raising salinity back to normal levels after Hypo treatment is complete.

Instead of using your ATO for Ro/Di replacement, just drop your ATO pump into a bucket of Normal FSW and as the tank looses water through evaporation, you will be replacing the loss with FSW, thereby slowly raising salinity.

I do this often, as protein skimmers will cause salinity to drop over time. And occasionally using FSW in the ATO is a great way to stabilize again.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pro tip for raising salinity back to normal levels after Hypo treatment is complete.

Instead of using your ATO for Ro/Di replacement, just drop your ATO pump into a bucket of Normal FSW and as the tank looses water through evaporation, you will be replacing the loss with FSW, thereby slowly raising salinity.

I do this often, as protein skimmers will cause salinity to drop over time. And occasionally using FSW in the ATO is a great way to stabilize again.

Yes, that works, but will take a LONG time. Ten percent evaporation per week would be really high, normal values are less than 5%. I have an AIO tank that I never have to top up for evaporation or skimmer loss between biweekly water changes.

Some people just perform partial water changes to get back to normal, but again, it works well for the first couple of water changes you do, but then, as you get closer to the final target salinity, each change has less effect.

A spiked water change is still the best way to go in order to return the tank to normal salinity in a week's time.

Jay

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this!!! Showing both sides - hyosalinity in display versus quarantine tank with pros/cons is great. Some people would have an easier time just taking out Coral to a frag tank versus removing all fish - really depends on your current situation.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I have a question that I need clarity on. If you do HYPO in the display tank and only do for 35 days and then slowly raise salinity wont there still potentially be eggs in there that could then hatch and infect fish all over? Or does the Hypo also kill the eggs?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I have a question that I need clarity on. If you do HYPO in the display tank and only do for 35 days and then slowly raise salinity wont there still potentially be eggs in there that could then hatch and infect fish all over? Or does the Hypo also kill the eggs?

Sorry - just seeing your post now. Nothing really kills Neobenedenia eggs (except things like bleach or air drying). Hypo kills the oncomiracidia larva when they hatch. Eggs purportedly hatch within 12 days. 30 days is given as the effective hypo treatment, I take that to 35 days just to be safe.

Jay

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal are there any copper-intolerant species you would exclude from a standard copper QT in favor of hypo (certain wrasses/anthias for example)?

I have a gold flake wrasse coming in, and out of an abundance of caution I'm considering just doing a prazipro then hypo treatment with him...

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal are there any copper-intolerant species you would exclude from a standard copper QT in favor of hypo (certain wrasses/anthias for example)?

I have a gold flake wrasse coming in, and out of an abundance of caution I'm considering just doing a prazipro then hypo treatment with him...

A gold rhomboid wrasse or a gold Labropsis? I've never kept the latter species, but that genus is REALLY delicate overall. If I was getting one, I would move it right into a coral propagation tank with no other fish. Hyposalinity can be risky with wrasses - it can actually make Uronema worse, and new wrasses are prone to getting that.

Properly done, coppersafe or copper power is well tolerated by most fish. I've even treated sharks and rays with it. I don't use copper on seahorses and flashlight fish.

Jay

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gold rhomboid wrasse or a gold Labropsis? I've never kept the latter species, but that genus is REALLY delicate overall. If I was getting one, I would move it right into a coral propagation tank with no other fish. Hyposalinity can be risky with wrasses - it can actually make Uronema worse, and new wrasses are prone to getting that.

Properly done, coppersafe or copper power is well tolerated by most fish. I've even treated sharks and rays with it. I don't use copper on seahorses and flashlight fish.

Jay
It was a Xenojulis margaritaceus, but I ended up not getting it after all. Sounded really delicate from the supplier and I didn't want to chance it in the end. Good to know about hypo and wrasses not mixing, ill remember that!

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay good afternoon, I have another question about going Hypo in my display. I am very close to 1.009 and should be there by tomorrow. My question is that with the large amounts of RODI I have added my ALK CA and MG are now very low Is this anything to be concerned about. I have removed all Inverts and corals.
ALk 7
CA 252
MG 900

Of course when I start bringing Salinity back up these numbers will rise just wondering if I should increase my dosing for now.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay good afternoon, I have another question about going Hypo in my display. I am very close to 1.009 and should be there by tomorrow. My question is that with the large amounts of RODI I have added my ALK CA and MG are now very low Is this anything to be concerned about. I have removed all Inverts and corals.
ALk 7
CA 252
MG 900

Of course when I start bringing Salinity back up these numbers will rise just wondering if I should increase my dosing for now.
The primary parameter you need to monitor is pH. It tends to drop during hypo. With good aeration, I like to see a pH of above 7.7 during hypo. You may need to adjust alkalinity to buffer it to that level. Other elements aren’t needed by the fish like they are for corals.
Jay

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Thank You so much Jay. I finally got my salinity down to 1.009 today. The PH is holding above 8 so far so good.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is it possible to run a FOWLR tank at hypo permanently? If not, what is the lowest salinity you would permanently maintain to meaningfully in a FOWLR tank to stave off marine ich?

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is it possible to run a FOWLR tank at hypo permanently? If not, what is the lowest salinity you would permanently maintain to meaningfully in a FOWLR tank to stave off marine ich?

Generally, running low salinity all of the time is a mistake. People who do that (stores and some public aquariums) are doing that mostly to control salt costs. Cryptocaryon (ich) can survive a specific gravity of around 1.010, so keeping it any higher is pointless. Fish do not do well long term below 1.011 (like 60+ days) so there is no "sweet spot" for ich. Neobenedenia flukes can be killed at 1.013, and many fish can be held permanently at that specific gravity, so some public aquarium do that, at least for half a year or so.

The big issue is - what if you develop a hypotonic resistant strain of some parasite?

Jay

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this would be another method of ich eradication then? Not just management? I have a Fiiji Foxface that is showing a few spots and I'm pretty sure are ich. Everything else looks ok including my Kole and Yellow Tangs, at least for now. With my rockwork it would be much easier for me to remove coral to a QT tank to sit than it would be to get all the fish out to treat in QT.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this would be another method of ich eradication then? Not just management? I have a Fiiji Foxface that is showing a few spots and I'm pretty sure are ich. Everything else looks ok including my Kole and Yellow Tangs, at least for now. With my rockwork it would be much easier for me to remove coral to a QT tank to sit than it would be to get all the fish out to treat in QT.
Yes Hypo is an eradication method and if done properly will kill off all Ich

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back