For Those Who Dose Phyto: What's Your Experience?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Acro Junky
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Acro Junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
2,561
Location
california
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've been reading a lot about phytoplankton dosing and its potential benefits for reef tanks. I've seen plenty of success stories, but I also know many reefers choose not to dose it.

For those of you who do dose phyto:
  • What made you decide to start dosing it?
  • What benefits have you noticed, if any?
  • Do you feel it's worth the cost and effort?
Also, if you're automatically dosing phyto, I'd love to see or hear about your setup. How are you storing it, keeping it suspended, and delivering it to the tank?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences! 😊
 
I dosed it every hour 24/7 when I was attempting to keep a small NPS tank. I've never used it or felt the need to dose phyto in any other tank.
I used a mini fridge with a magnetic stirrer on a timer.

PXL_20251007_224055771.jpg
 
I am pro-phytoplankton and pro-copepods.
I see phytoplankton as bottom of the food chain that are needed for the filter feeders and pods etc for the reef tank to be in natural habitat. I tried to harvest my own phytoplankton but was not successful. Copepods were more successful and I prefer to culturing them over the phytoplankton for the simple fact, it’s easier and are more useful in my opinion. But I stopped that. I don’t have much fishes who wants pods atm…. But I’m always restart culturing them if I see my tanks can use some…

I use reef nutrients phyto feast which is probably most dense phyto varieties in one bottle which lasts me couple months to three. I dose them manually. They do make your glasses tinted on green algae if dosed too much or dosed when light are coming on etc.
 
I cultivate both pods and phyto and i started doing that because i want to add nps gorgonians in the future and to keep my phosphate down which has worked like a charm in my seahorse tank, i use the tetralemnsis specie, i also have 3 big feather dusters which i suppose love it? I cant really tell if they like it or not but they are always out filtering stuff. my phyto dose is 2-3 times a week.

I have a big mixed reef tank as Well which i dose about 1-2 times a week and i have notice my sps corals look alot happier and have more vibrant colours than without it.
 
I have dosed here and there on many of my systems over the last 2 decades...I have never seen a single benefit that I could contribute to phyto.

Sure, it benefits others' wallets but I can see pods all over my glass at times even with 2 pygmy wrasses, a scooter blenny, and a yellow hogfish hunting pods 24/7
 
I've dosed phyto off and on and the only thing I've noticed was my wallet was lighter. My opinion is its one of the bigger "scams" in reef keeping. I dont see much benefits in pods either. They are so small most fish wont bother with them. I do like amphipods though. The bigger size and the fact they reproduce like crazy is a benefit for the tank.
 
I've dosed phyto off and on and the only thing I've noticed was my wallet was lighter. My opinion is its one of the bigger "scams" in reef keeping. I dont see much benefits in pods either. They are so small most fish wont bother with them. I do like amphipods though. The bigger size and the fact they reproduce like crazy is a benefit for the tank.

I have a few flaming prawn gobies in my tank and as best I can tell copepods are the only thing these fish will eat. Most-if not all of my other fish snack on the pods as well. So the "most" fish won't bother with them is a bit of a stretch don't ya think?
 
Last edited:
Interesting those that side phyto for pods. I've never had a tank that didn't have a pod population. Currently 4 tanks that have never seen phyto and all have pods. It would be interesting to see if those that dose for pods have the pods die off if they stop dosing phyto. 🤔
 
I recently (6month ago) had to dose interceptor for the red bugs which wiped out my pods completely. I can tell that my tank was looking extra sterile and I had to re-establish my food chains. So started from the bottom and up… again…. Starting with phytoplankton and copepods.

I can see pods when working around the rocks now. I don’t think they will die out…. I’m sure copepods can find other food in the tank. I don’t know which kind of pods are ones actually populating the tank via refugium with amphipod etc.
 
I love the idea of fueling the food chain from the bottom up, but I saw no benefit from dosing phyto, even when targeting the high end of the recommended dosing range, and saw no detriment when I stopped. Coral health/growth and pod populations were unchanged, so it seems like a waste, although I'm still tempted to try again for some reason.
 
My view is that phytoplankton is most useful when you keep organisms that can directly or indirectly benefit from it as a food source.

If your aquarium already has plenty of algae growth, bacterial activity and a healthy food web, many of the effects people attribute to phytoplankton can already be occurring naturally through algae production and turnover. Fir that reason, I’m not convinced phytoplankton is necessary for every reef aquarium.
 
I have a few flaming prawn gobies in my tank and as best I can tell copepods are the only thing these fish will eat. Most-if not all of my other fish snack on the pods as well. So the "most" fish won't bother with them is a bit of a stretch don't ya think?
I should have said the fish in my tank are too big to mess with them. But I still think amphipods are a better choice overall.
 
I started dosing phyto to support pod reproduction in my 20g cube in an effort to keep my green mandarin fed. I’m also adding a 16 oz bottle of mixed pods every week. Crazy yes, but I really don’t want her to starve to death.

I upped my phyto when I impulsively added a crocea clam which is thriving in my tank. I’m currently dosing 7-10 ml manually every 2-3 days with no obvious issues.
 
I started dosing phyto to support pod reproduction in my 20g cube in an effort to keep my green mandarin fed. I’m also adding a 16 oz bottle of mixed pods every week. Crazy yes, but I really don’t want her to starve to death.

I upped my phyto when I impulsively added a crocea clam which is thriving in my tank. I’m currently dosing 7-10 ml manually every 2-3 days with no obvious issues.

Welcome to Reef2Reef! :)
 
I dose phyto every other night or so to keep my pod population good, for my scooter dragonet, the other fish, and the corals

I recently ordered a culturing kit from @Reef By Steele and it’s coming tomorrow! Very excited to try culturing my own phyto
 
I feel phyto is more beneficial for those that need to maintain the population for their specific needs fish.

In terms of direct coral benefit, I feel as those there is a level of “help” but not a game changing component. Based on what I have read. A lot of successful reefs don’t use it.

Such mixed reviews from everyone :) keep em’ coming!
 
I have tried it a few times and even purchased a refrigerator for an automated dosing setup. I just don't see a difference at this point worth the trouble. I don't know the long term effects, positive or negative, if any.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new