Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime vs Kalkwasser

  • Thread starter Thread starter IPT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

IPT

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
564
Reaction score
397
Location
Alaska
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a post about someone using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime instead of Kalk. Is this a thing? Is it good? Bad? or indifferent? Seems like there would be a price benefit but is it the same concentration and interchangable?

SPS dominant mixed reef dosing about a gallon of saturated Kalk + A/B to keep Alk and Ca up to spec.
 
If you want cost effective Kalk.
You can get Mississippi Lime this is what avast marine uses in their Kalk.

https://www.concentratesnw.com/?product=50-vitacal-h-food-lime
Based on the impurity profile and the limited options for food grade kalk in the US I would be floored if this was not the exact same material as most retail "kalkwasser"

The ms wages can be a good deal if you buy it online and you don't need 50 pounds. If you buy ms wages at local retail store it often is not much cheaper than aquarium brands.
 
This is 8 years old but for reference point Aquarium 1 was ESV, Bulk 1 was Dr fosters which was packaged by Fritz.

There are differences but I think within the expected variances for mined material. Some may actually use lower than food grade material as well.

Screenshot 2026-06-06 at 12.08.23 AM.png
 
Ive used Mrs wage's pickling lime as kalk solution for long time. And it works perfectly fine. But I figure I will try more solutions from the hobby this time around. So I have tried Cativ8 (comes in ziploc bag) and ESV. Currently on 2nd jug of ESV and I am using it because it comes in a jug and its easy to handle. As I believe you dont want to disturb the powder. Why not get hobby grade. But to answer your question, they are interchagble and are same in amount you use.
 
Does it really make much difference? a $28 4lb container of kalk will last you most of a year at the rate you use it and the price difference between the mrs wages and a hobby kalk isn't all that much, likely a $10 - $20 difference over an entire year.
 
Mrs Wages is calcium hydroxide with a food quality purity guarantee. All other kalk products are calcium hydroxide (or oxide) with or without a purity guarantee.

It has been used by many reefers for decades. I see no reason to not use it. :)
 
Does it really make much difference? a $28 4lb container of kalk will last you most of a year at the rate you use it and the price difference between the mrs wages and a hobby kalk isn't all that much, likely a $10 - $20 difference over an entire year.

So why buy a more expensive one?
 
Hobby grade means nothibng in particular. Food grade does have an actual purity meaning.
I am using Kalk as main supplementation for my tanks and for this reason, I do and am trying out different Kalk from reputable companies. Like trying out different salt when desired. Nothing wrong with pickling lime~

Edit: Now, there is a product called Kalk+2 by Brightwell which I was looking into but decided not to because the mixed reviews.
 
I have used Mrs wages for many years and have never seen any difference between it and brs kalk which is the only other one I've used. I use it and all for reef since the kalk will no longer keep up. I don't see any reason to buy more expensive " hobby grade " kalk as it seems like another way we are being overcharged for a cheap product.
 
I just saw a post about someone using Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime instead of Kalk. Is this a thing? Is it good? Bad? or indifferent? Seems like there would be a price benefit but is it the same concentration and interchangable?

SPS dominant mixed reef dosing about a gallon of saturated Kalk + A/B to keep Alk and Ca up to spec.
That's what sea world uses!!!
 
I am using Kalk as main supplementation for my tanks and for this reason, I do and am trying out different Kalk from reputable companies. Like trying out different salt when desired. Nothing wrong with pickling lime~

Edit: Now, there is a product called Kalk+2 by Brightwell which I was looking into but decided not to because the mixed reviews.

Well, nothing wrong with that, but kalk is a single chemical entity, calcium hydroxide. It is not a mix of many chemicals that varies brand to brand like a salt mix.

It is true that some parameters of it may vary, including particle size and purity, but in most uses, you may not see any difference that matters.

Kalk+2 is a poor product, IMO. The amount of magnesium in it is less than ordinary kalk, and in neither case does it make it to the tank unless you dose solids to the tank water because magnesium is very insoluble in kalkwasser.
 
Hobby grade means nothibng in particular. Food grade does have an actual purity meaning.

You were the first one to tell me this. Prior to that I felt the picture of coral/fish on the can really meant it was a specific purity or formulation made specifically for our hobby.

I would later learn that not only were you right but often the hobby grade versions were lower grade/quality than many of the DIY versions.

Depending on the product there are options where the hobby grade versions are better but it has nothing to do with popularity, price, or branding. This is a case where I think vetting the company is more valuable than vetting the product. Are their claims legit? Do they seem to care about their customers success?
 
I am using Kalk as main supplementation for my tanks and for this reason, I do and am trying out different Kalk from reputable companies. Like trying out different salt when desired. Nothing wrong with pickling lime~

Edit: Now, there is a product called Kalk+2 by Brightwell which I was looking into but decided not to because the mixed reviews.
I'd bet the house that Kalk+2 is marketing smoke and mirrors where the magnesium and strontium are just known impurities in the raw material so they decided to market it as better. In my experience Jack Kent has a long history of questionable claims. This is good example of vetting the brand so I don't have to vet all their products. I do use their coral amino just because i've experienced overwhelmingly positive results using it.
 
I have used Mrs wages for many years and have never seen any difference between it and brs kalk which is the only other one I've used. I use it and all for reef since the kalk will no longer keep up. I don't see any reason to buy more expensive " hobby grade " kalk as it seems like another way we are being overcharged for a cheap product.
I don’t think you would see a material difference between those two in terms of results in the tank. There are legitimate differences, but the real question is whether those differences matter to you, or are worth paying for.

Note: I am heavily biased in this because I sourced the BRS one which means I inherently liked it :)

Poof: Mrs. Wages is like most kalk products: a talc-like powder that poofs when you pour or scoop it. Some of that ends up in the air, which means you may breathe it in, which isn’t ideal. It can also make it harder to clean up after.

BRS kalk is a free flowing much denser material. Downside is it does not work as well in stirrers. Only stirrers with the strongest stir bars seem to handle it well.

Quality: BRS is USP grade, which in my experience USP almost always a major step up from food grade. In this case, you can see that in the data above and the lab results. That said, with food-grade kalk like Mrs. Wages, many of the impurities will precipitate out in the high-pH solution, so purity likely matters a lot less here than it does with many other chemicals. Personally, I would just try to avoid dosing the settled slurry at the bottom of the container, since that is where many of the precipitated impurities collect.

My Experience: I'd use any of them and I think the results would be very hard to distinguish, likely impossible. However in practice I tend to use BRS just because I don't want to breath that poof every time I refill the container. In recent testing I also knocked a container of ESV kalk off the table and the mess was near impossible to clean, I don't think I'll ever get it all out of the carpet. I am pretty sure the free flowing BRS would have just vacuumed out.

I do have a couple of questions for RHF.

With the more recent rise in slurry reactors, where the precipitate is dosed to the tank would those precipitated impurities stay precipitated and unavailable in the tank perpetually? What if that material settled in lower-pH areas of the tank, such as deeper within the sand bed? I am thinking more about years of cumulative effect of many pounds of material rather than an immediate issue.

I know most people don’t care about silica like we used to, but is the 2,000+ ppm silica an example of something that would not precipitate in high pH? If so, are there any other materially relevant impurities that fit that same category?
 
It does seem to me that the brs kalk was somewhat stronger and produced somewhat less slurry in the bottom of the ato container. This is just anadotal since I never actually measured it. I'm aware of the risk of breathing in the powder and everyone should make every attempt to avoid doing so.
 
Mrs wages purchased at Walmart or other grocery store. Cheap and can always be found locally.
I ran this tank for 6 years on kalk made from Mrs wages. I was adding 7200 ml of fully saturated kalk daily. I never saw any negative effects but I also don't do ICP or hunt for problems.

PXL_20240222_233233684~2.jpg
 
It does seem to me that the brs kalk was somewhat stronger and produced somewhat less slurry in the bottom of the ato container. This is just anadotal since I never actually measured it. I'm aware of the risk of breathing in the powder and everyone should make every attempt to avoid doing so.
I recently measured the potency of the lime water with various Kalk's and BRS was actually a bit lower :)

Can use the code "free" to watch the video.

https://www.seriousreefs.com/sr-lab...e-try-everything-we-can-to-achieve-it-sr-labs
 
Does it really make much difference? a $28 4lb container of kalk will last you most of a year at the rate you use it and the price difference between the mrs wages and a hobby kalk isn't all that much, likely a $10 - $20 difference over an entire year.

Actually, it does. I just checked and I am actually dosing over a gallon a day (about 3400 ml/daily) . I add 4.75 TBSP to 7 gallons so essentially every week or more. 4 lbs for sure doesn't last me a year.

BRS is currently changing 33.99 for the 4lbs, though, I live in Alaska so shipping is usually another $15-20 or more. Lets just say its $45 for 4 lbs. With Amazon Prime and free shipping I can get 4lbs of the Pickling Lime for $24 - that's almost a 50% savings!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new