Help needed identifying disease on Seahorse + treatment?

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

First time post. I have a Nano Marine tank with 3 corals, a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and a Black Common Seahorse.

For about 2 weeks now, the seahorse has had a visible disease/issue with his eye, and it does not appear to be getting better. I have attached photos for a visual of the disease, but my best description would be a white swelling of the eye (only one of them) and, some white 'infected' looking skin (on the same side of his body).

Seahorse is otherwise eating well (Brine/Mysis shrimp) & swimming/acting strong too.

The purpose for my query is to perhaps identify what is wrong, and any suggested treatments?

Photos Attached, the second photo you can see a reflection in the glass of his other side which appears to not be affected.

Thank you all.

CookeRS

Seahorse01.jpg

Seahorse02.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the least invasive approach to start: 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of Epsom salt to help ease the swelling.

If that doesn't help, we might need to consider antibiotics next or seahorses are also prone to gas bubble disease: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/8/fish

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pop-eye which is a gas pressure problem. Your seahorse will need diamox. Diamox is a prescription drug and I get it from my vet, although not all vets will write a script for it.

Pop-eye is thought to be caused because water quality is not what it needs to be for seahorses. You should try and improve husbandry and do more water changes.

It also appears to be suffering from a skin infection although I am not sure. I would move the seahorse to a QT with fresh made salt water. If that white place on its side looks eroded it should be treated with furan 2. While you are treating with the furan 2 you can be injecting live mysis or ghost shrimp with the diamox and feed the shrimp to the seahorse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for everyone's suggestions. We'll see if I can treat. Appreciate all the help.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are the seahorse experts, @vlangel @SeahorseKeeper
Hopefully they can get your little pony feeling better.
I am afraid that I am far from being an expert but thank you for the kind words. I would describe myself as someone who has learned things the hard way.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid that I am far from being an expert but thank you for the kind words. I would describe myself as someone who has learned things the hard way.

Sometimes I think that’s the better way to learn, helps to ingrain the lesson a bit more don’t you think?
OP any updates on your pony?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I think that’s the better way to learn, helps to ingrain the lesson a bit more don’t you think?
OP any updates on your pony?
Definitely! I want to avoid seeing any of my pony pets suffering a premature languishing death at all costs.

OP
OP
CookeRS

CookeRS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a7f0bc7656fe8a8a1bdfc47f5c004afe.jpg

Hi all.

Good news.

Seahorse is doing well... I took the "more water changes" approach. Doing a 10%-20% change each 3-5 days. I didn't want to medicate, as I don't have a secondary/hospital tank, and can't afford one + antibiotics at this time of year! But luckily, he's responded well.

Thanks all for your help!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is excellant news! Yes, she looks much better. (I say 'she' because I think maybe your seahorse is a girl as I do not see a pouch. Depending on the age of your pony, it could still develope a pouch however).

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news! Glad to see the little pony doing better, keep us updated on how ‘she’ is doing.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 51 42.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 56 47.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back