OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I have taken enough of your time but I keep coming up with questions. Thank you for being so responsive and generous with your time.

I have ball valves (or was planning to) on my return and my discharge. Water entering the sump would leave the standpipe, flow down to the skimmer area through a ball valve.

After the stand pipe and before the skimmer a T fitting would split flow to the fuge which would also have a ball valve.

The return pump will have a ball valve as well but I thought adding pressure there would cause the pump to work harder not less to overcome the head pressure.

You're saying use the return line ball valve to moderate the overall flow rate as opposed to moderating the flow into the sump by partially shutting the fuge & skimmer valves?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER restrict the overflow! No need for a valve on the overflow even for maintenance since the overflow will only drain as far as the standpipe is tall then quit siphoning. Restricting the oveflow leads to flooding so wide open with as few fittings or bends and as gradual as possible like 45 deree bends versus 90 degree oreven reinforced vinyl tubing in a long gradual arc. I use the vinyl tubing myself in 1.25" inside diameter so the barbed nipple does not cause a restriction. I feed my refugium as you are pointing out via a tee in the overflow but only have a valve on the 1/2" branch that feeds the fuge, not on the main run.
Always throttle or restrict the return flow on the discharge side of the return pump with a ball or gate valve inline. I know it sounds backwards but a $25 Kill A Watt meter proves that this consumes less power than diverting flow back to the sump which is an old antiquated method. Centrifugal pumps all work like this and we design municipal and industrial pumps stations like that using control valves on the discharge when a variable speed pump is not called for.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS to the rescue! My go to store has TxT bulkheads in stock and I was able to confirm size in a display tank.

I got a TOM Aqua Lifter Pump for my ATO that I will use to drain the tank and reinstall.

That turns out to be a relatively easy fix!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427740206.893324.jpg

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always give my LFS first shot on purchases. They often surprise me with equal to or better than online pricing and its nice to keep them in business locally.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot wait to get the 120 cycling. I have a leather and a Xenia frag in my 29 growing like crazy and I am looking forward to giving them a new home with two Kessil a360w lights to boot!

Man cave is coming together nicely...

...now if only my fiancé was a reefer..

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will convert her, they all seem to come along eventually once they see the beauty of a large reef tank. Watching the enjoyment my Grandkids get out of it convinced my wife!

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad u figured it out..
if the tank was drilled by the the tank people they sell the over flow kits my 120 requires 2 kits
uploadfromtaptalk1427764747785.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1427764790462.jpg
the sump I have is in the basement and its 200 gal I have more pics just not on my phone ..lol

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummer - Who made your tank? With all of this leak talk I have become a Aqua-hypochondriac about silicone seam leaks...

I emptied my tank and will be inspecting the seams. I heard several people mention Marineland Deep dimension tanks (like my 120) have had problems.

You had any issues?

Think I'm over thinking it at this point..

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it's not one thing it's another. Found this little baby hiding at the bottom of my tank. So now I'm returning the Marineland 120 for a replacement. I have no faith in Marineland after reading about other DD tank problems. The LFS said they had heard similar issues.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427908447.517124.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427908465.003222.jpg

Any one know of Aqueon/AGA issues? Thinking of going that direction on the replacement.

Also, AZ got some thread 'glue' per your recommendation to go on my new plumping once I replace the tank!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427908303.456362.jpg

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reefers say they have trouble locating a Plasto Joint stick, nice find! I have used them on all my PVC since 1983 and swear by it.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered online. Two sticks for $10 with 2 day delivery no brainer.

Now I just have to stop freaking out over silicone failures. My replacement tank should be good to go.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad you are not out west, I would have recommended LeeMar aquariums which are built in the San Diego area and popular throughout the southwest. My 100G is their Diamond Edge with such a light addition of black silicone in the ground and polished bevelled edge you don't even see it.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Annapolis is not exactly down the street. All the 'googling' has me pretty much doubting every manufacturer at this point haha

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have closed this puppy out. All is plumbed. All is well!

Much obliged for all the posts & responses.

-AA

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back