Help w/new fish compatibility (Vetteguy?)

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’m asking pro advice experience with new Quaantined fish wishlist. Currently have hippo, YT and Sailfin, 6-7 yrs old, one Chromis, one Lemonpeel in 100gag tall. I tried quarantining 3 Naso Tangs separately 4 yrs ago, the all died. Heartbroken I spoke w/Dr Reef Quarantined man and decided nothing new except from him. If I can’t help them I’m Not killing anymore, the last Naso I even bought fresh picked seaweed from Long Island, seaweed lasted longer than he did.
My wishlist is Naso Tang, Carpenter Wrasse, or other, 4 Chromis, Purple Dottyback, red fire fish and bonded pair of regular clownfish. My plan is getting 125 gal Long ready with current substrate, live rock etc. I thought when tank is ready, adding more pods that don’t transfer and adding newly acquired livestock to find hiding spots etc for a week or so. Then move the big guys who probably are just hungry. I Did see tonight that fully grown Lemon Peel did a head butte to Sally Sailfin’s backside
who’s 4 times his size, she moved a bit, than backed back to “ cave” entrance.
Sorry for the length of post, haven’t added anyone in 4 years, just want advice on fighting. Naso’s are so polite, he’ll fit in fine. My tangs only spine at each other as they get cranky.
Thank-you, any help or comments appreciated
Debra
Build Thread: Debra’s Dream tank, w/ Pics

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’m asking pro advice experience with new Quaantined fish wishlist. Currently have hippo, YT and Sailfin, 6-7 yrs old, one Chromis, one Lemonpeel in 100gag tall. I tried quarantining 3 Naso Tangs separately 4 yrs ago, the all died. Heartbroken I spoke w/Dr Reef Quarantined man and decided nothing new except from him. If I can’t help them I’m Not killing anymore, the last Naso I even bought fresh picked seaweed from Long Island, seaweed lasted longer than he did.
My wishlist is Naso Tang, Carpenter Wrasse, or other, 4 Chromis, Purple Dottyback, red fire fish and bonded pair of regular clownfish. My plan is getting 125 gal Long ready with current substrate, live rock etc. I thought when tank is ready, adding more pods that don’t transfer and adding newly acquired livestock to find hiding spots etc for a week or so. Then move the big guys who probably are just hungry. I Did see tonight that fully grown Lemon Peel did a head butte to Sally Sailfin’s backside
Sorry for the length of post, haven’t added anyone in 4 years, just want advice on fighting. Naso’s are so polite, he’ll fit in fine. My tangs only spine at each other as they get cranky.
Debra
Oh Jeez, I forgot to say I will be rehoming the tang when to big!!!

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is already way overstocked, buying fish with the intent to rehome is not responsible.
With the 5 I have now? Wow, will consider, Thanks my friend
Although I enjoy watching them grow, healthy and happy and have local fish guy, Melevesreef, Mark with monster tank I told would hand over to him.

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you’re name, back in the late 70’s husband, boyfriend at the time built a hundred gallon tank to raise tiny, tiny piranha fish for our friend’s LFS. Had permit, allowed in New York. Wouldn’t ever have, saw 3” take a bite out of large Fish John had in his store. Babies grew FAST

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming Naso literatus.

They have apparently become difficult to keep over the last few years. I don't know if the collection method or point has changed.

I would also fear the old tangs, especially yellow and sailfin, would beat up a new tang. That would be a shame after you went through that much work or money to get one QTd for you. What are the dimensions of the tank?

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming Naso literatus.

They have apparently become difficult to keep over the last few years. I don't know if the collection method or point has changed.

I would also fear the old tangs, especially yellow and sailfin, would beat up a new tang. That would be a shame after you went through that much work or money to get one QTd for you. What are the dimensions of the tank?
New tank pic, currently in opposite corner is 100 g tall, “new “ one is 6’L, 125. Got tip on here from Pickle to have front and back Rock work open, no problem because overhang is outside on the back.
Thanks for your input!
image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debra
I agree with the above in this tank is already overstocked, and aggression will spike once you add the new fish. And some species like wrasses may die of stress in that tank (especially flashers).

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above in this tank is already overstocked, and aggression will spike once you add the new fish. And some species like wrasses may die of stress in that tank (especially flashers).
Ok, but 5 in a 100g moving to a 125 is overstocked??

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but 5 in a 100g moving to a 125 is overstocked??
It’s not the 5, it’s the specific 5;
Desjardini sailfin (Large, and likely aggressive)
Hippo (Another Large, and likely aggressive fish)
Yellow Tang (again, Large and likely Aggressive)
Chromis
Lemonpeel (Potentially aggressive)

Moving to a 125G tank is alright but I assume it’s a fairly thin 6’ tank meaning the turning space for those fish is limited even further. And with the fish you have, 5 is going to be it for a 6’ tank I’d say after seeing a PBT (which are smaller than Desjardinis) in a 6’ tank with only 4 other fish - a Margined Butterflyfish, Yellow Tang, and a Clownfish pair. Even he looked cramped (and the owner said the same).

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the 5, it’s the specific 5;
Desjardini sailfin (Large, and likely aggressive)
Hippo (Another Large, and likely aggressive fish)
Yellow Tang (again, Large and likely Aggressive)
Chromis
Lemonpeel (Potentially aggressive)

Moving to a 125G tank is alright but I assume it’s a fairly thin 6’ tank meaning the turning space for those fish is limited even further. And with the fish you have, 5 is going to be it for a 6’ tank I’d say after seeing a PBT (which are smaller than Desjardinis) in a 6’ tank with only 4 other fish - a Margined Butterflyfish, Yellow Tang, and a Clownfish pair. Even he looked cramped (and the owner said the same).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back