Help with Hardy College Corals

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start, I am a college student with a 20 gallon cube AIO reef tank. Because I'm in college, I have to drain and move my tank twice a year in early September and mid May, which has resulted in a lot of coral loss so far. I also have to leave campus for 19 days for Winter break around Christmas, which I am worried about. I've lost crusting and plating montipora, stylopora, and pavona while moving the tank. I have had some success with a monti digi and a ton of success clove polyps, gsp, and a bubble tipped anemone. My single polyp candy cane coral and my avatar chalice coral survived but do not look good after the move, with the candycane tissue shrinking and the chalice completely browning out. I had success with zoas even after moving the tank, but they were eaten by a hitchhiker crab of some sort which has been disposed of.

Can anyone recommend me some corals that will be able to handle the stress of being moved and left alone for over two weeks? Also, I'd appreciate any tips on how to minimize losses when moving. My family had reef tanks growing up that I took care of but this is the first one I'm entirely responsible for, and I feel like I'm sort of setting myself up for failure by doing it in college.

I love Euphilia (especially torches) but they are expensive. Is it possible to keep them in my situation? I'd appreciate any recommendations for keeping them alive too, as well as some recommendations for hardier and/or less expensive varieties.

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of soft corals in your future... (xenias, polyps, zoas, palys, mushrooms, leathers)...
I've heard leathers are big on chemical warfare. You don't think that would be an issue when they are stressed from being moved?

ireneealbrams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start, I am a college student with a 20 gallon cube AIO reef tank. Because I'm in college, I have to drain and move my tank twice a year in early September and mid May, which has resulted in a lot of coral loss so far. I also have to leave campus for 19 days for Winter break around Christmas, which I am worried about. I've lost crusting and plating montipora, stylopora, and pavona while moving the tank. I have had some success with a monti digi and a ton of success clove polyps, gsp, and a bubble tipped anemone. My single polyp candy cane coral and my avatar chalice coral survived but do not look good after the move, with the candycane tissue shrinking and the chalice completely browning out. I had success with zoas even after moving the tank, but they were eaten by a hitchhiker crab of some sort which has been disposed of.

Can anyone recommend me some corals that will be able to handle the stress of being moved and left alone for over two weeks? Also, I'd appreciate any tips on how to minimize losses when moving. My family had reef tanks growing up that I took care of but this is the first one I'm entirely responsible for, and I feel like I'm sort of setting myself up for failure by doing it in college.

I love Euphilia (especially torches) but they are expensive. This is what it means to be a student. I advise you to avoid contacting the corals with your hands or other objects to prevent damage. Also place the corals in separate containers with water from the aquarium, I once asked for help with an essay on this topic, and found at papersowl everything I needed. Also very important! Euphilias can be quite demanding on water quality and lighting. Ensure stable water parameters and bright but not too intense lighting. That's all I know. Is it possible to keep them in my situation? I'd appreciate any recommendations for keeping them alive too, as well as some recommendations for hardier and/or less expensive varieties.
Zoanthus corals are usually quite resilient and can survive being moved. They can also be quite affordable and come in a variety of colors.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back