Help with lawn mower blenny.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help. The other day I overdosed vodka to the tank and had a 2 day sever bacterial bloom. Did 3 medium sized water changes and had no looses. I noticed my lawn mower blenny acting strange after that and he had what appeared to be a red mark on him near his tail fin. Today I noticed that mark is much bigger and he isn’t swimmer right and is breathing heavy. I don’t think he’s going to make it through the night was just wondering if anyone has seen this before ?

BA6C7C94-857F-4FE4-A46A-5D016DE1E212.jpeg

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw my saltinity is 1.026 , phosphate.02, nitrate 5ppm calc 450, alk 9.4 ammonia reading 0. I also have 2 cleaner shrimp , a frogspawn coral and a gsp frag all happy and doing well

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks as though his skin's been removed . . .

If that's not due to injury or aggression, then it may be bacterial, and would want a wide-spectrum treatment in a QT - either Furan-2 + Kanaplex + Metroplex or Nitrofuracin Green should help - if they could start working in time. (Antibiotics can be frustratingly slow in marine fish.) The cleaner shrimps aren't going to be his friends right now, I should think ... though they may appear "friendly" - even overly so.

~Bruce

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree^ I think his best chance is going to be QT/antibiotics. Bruce made good suggestions on which to try.

Another thing you could try is a 90-minute acriflavine bath, preferably en route to QT. If you aren't able to QT you could try binding kanaplex to food with seachem focus, but that's more of a long-shot in a situation like this :(

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this came on fast. Did the fish make it through the night?

+1 for removing the fish to a QT, giving it an acriflavine bath on the way, and then medicating with kanaplex/furan-2/metro.

You can read more about acriflavine here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/
I have learned (from the folks who have already responded to you, as well as from @Humblefish who is very helpful) is that bacterial issues are tricky. Unless we can identify the specific bacteria we are dealing with in these situations, our best course of action is to try to provide some sort of immediate relief (that's what the acriflavine might do), and then treat it with as broad a mix of meds to cover as many bases as we can (that's what the "triple threat" of kanaplex/furan-2/metro will do).

The objective is to try to keep the fish alive long enough so that it's immune system can conquer the issue and allow the fish to heal. So at the same time you are knocking back the bacteria with meds, you also need to be nurturing the immune system by feeding the fish with immune boosters like vitamin-enriched food, probiotics found in some foods, live food, etc.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice , unfortunately I’ve been at work and haven’t been home since yesterday. I will be getting out at 330. Is this something that could have been caused by the bacterial bloom and it’s severit?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back