Acriflavine

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Acriflavine

What It TreatsThis is an antiseptic that is very useful for rendering “first aid” if a fish has a bacterial infection or to treat an open wound. It can also be used as part of a “three step program” for treating Marine Velvet Disease:

1) 5 minute freshwater dip
    2) 90 minute acriflavine bath
    3) 30 days of copper or Chloroquine phosphate in a Quarantine Tank (QT)

There is some anecdotal evidence that a 90 minute bath using Ruby Reef Rally, followed by transfer into a sterile Quarantine Tank, can clear Brooklynella aka clownfish disease. However, it is unclear whether the acriflavine or formalin Rally contains is the exact reason why. In any case, follow-up treatment using metronidazole in a QT is highly recommended for brook.

How To TreatAt present time, only one aquarium product is readily available which contains acriflavine: Ruby Reef Rally. It also contains aminoacridine (another antiseptic) and a small amount of formalin. I personally use Rally as a 90 minute bath, temperature controlling the water and providing plenty of aeration by using an air pump & air-stone. Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of bath & QT water match perfectly. Dosage for Bath is ~ 1 teaspoon of Rally per gallon of bath water.

ProsEffective “pre-treatment” before fish is placed in QT with copper, antibiotics, etc.; milder/safer alternative to using straight formalin (37% formaldehyde).

Cons/Side EffectsTurns the water an orange-brownish color, so probably not desirable for Quarantine or Display Tank use. Full range of positive effects and possible side effects are not completely understood at this time.

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Acriflavine bath can be done in a small (2-5 gallon) aquarium or bucket. Just don't forget to use a heater and vigorously aerate the water for the entire time the fish is in there. :)

3. Smo

Smo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Just to confirm...for a 90 minute Acriflavine bath using Ruby Reef Rally, use 2/3 tsp (3.3 ml) per 1 gallon?

4. Humblefish

Yes, it's actually 0.6 tsp; but I've ramped Rally up to 1 tsp per gallon for 90 minutes with no ill effects.

ebushrow likes this.
  5. Empress

Empress Valuable Member

Can we just round it up to 4 ml per gallon to make it easier for those who can't do math? It's hard to overdose acriflavine anyway.

Humblefish likes this.
  6. Voltaire81

Voltaire81 Active Member

7. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Not in my experience with it. Freshwater dips/formalin dips and prazipro will though.

ebushrow, Humblefish and Voltaire81 like this.
  8. Humblefish

Never tested it, but I very much doubt acriflavine works on worms.

ebushrow and melypr1985 like this.
  9. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

My qt right now is
    CP and then API General Cure at the end of the CP.
    Should I add acriflavine at the beginning before CP?

10. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

depends what you are treating for. if you suspect velvet then yes.

11. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

Just doing the proactive treatment or whatever its called.

12. melypr1985

Ok. It's fine to do a dip before QT. It's not going to hurt the fish and could help if they have velvet or brook coming in.

13. Ramasule

Ramasule Valuable Member

Thanks Mel

melypr1985 likes this.
  14. 125mph

125mph Active Member

Does acriflavine actually treat/kill any stage of velvet? How come the product is marketed as a medicine for velvet and explicitly says its not for treatment of ich. (Talking about ruby reef rally).

15. Humblefish

There is no scientific evidence that acriflavine or aminoacridine treats parasites, as they are both antiseptics. And the tiny bit of formalin Rally contains probably doesn't have much of an impact either. Rally/acriflavine is more useful to ward off infection IMO; secondary bacterial infections are common when a fish has a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation. Sometimes the fish survives the parasite, but succumbs to the secondary infection. o_O

16. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

Hey i didnt know this thread already existed, so i made a new one. But id like to ask that as u said on my other thread, that there might be some sort of bacterial infection in my tank, and as claimed by ruby reef, that it wont affect the tank negatively except for the colouration (which can be removed via carbon) can i add it to my display? Will it also kill that thick bacterial/fungul film growing on some parts of my rocks and wavemaker?

17. Humblefish

IME; acriflavine is best used as a "first aid" antiseptic (in a bath) before the fish goes into QT to be treated with proper antibiotics. I've tried using it long-term in a QT and #1) The fish's condition doesn't seem to improve #2) The water gets fouled after 4-5 days.

18. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

Thank you..

Humblefish likes this.
  19. Bob Escher

Bob Escher Welcome to Saltwatef R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Are we talking two different products here? Rally should be used in a QT but hydoplex ( from same company) can be used as a ten minute dip and in Qt as well. I've used rally in my display tank and yes it does "cloud" the tank for a while but clears up

20. melypr1985

Rally is best used in a dip.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted