Acriflavine

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish To expand on this a bit, is a hydrochloride form such as Trypaflavine 3.84% solution acceptable to use? Instructions are 1tsp per 5-10 gallons, resulting in a 10 or 5mg/L dosage.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish To expand on this a bit, is a hydrochloride form such as Trypaflavine 3.84% solution acceptable to use? Instructions are 1tsp per 5-10 gallons, resulting in a 10 or 5mg/L dosage.

The hydrochloride form (derived from acridine) is more irritating to the skin than Acriflavine Neutral. Might not be best to use on fish IMO.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrochloride form (derived from acridine) is more irritating to the skin than Acriflavine Neutral. Might not be best to use on fish IMO.
Rats.. I guess it's more intended for eggs. Looks like I'll have to source some Rally, Thank you!

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have Acriflavine Neutral Powder. The instructions say to add 19.2grams to 16oz of distilled water to make a stock solution. Then 5 drops of stock solution per gallon of aquarium water and leave for 5-7days. Which is about 1 teaspoon per 20gal (I think). Acriflavine-MS calls for 1 tsp per 10 gallons (non-bath dosage), so I'm assuming the stock solution I make is twice as strong. So I'd need to use 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons for a bath, correct? Or am I wrong in assuming the non-bath dosages are the same concentration?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Acriflavine Neutral Powder. The instructions say to add 19.2grams to 16oz of distilled water to make a stock solution. Then 5 drops of stock solution per gallon of aquarium water and leave for 5-7days. Which is about 1 teaspoon per 20gal (I think). Acriflavine-MS calls for 1 tsp per 10 gallons (non-bath dosage), so I'm assuming the stock solution I make is twice as strong. So I'd need to use 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons for a bath, correct? Or am I wrong in assuming the non-bath dosages are the same concentration?

There are about 100 drops in 1 US teaspoon (5ml). Acriflavine-MS calls for 1 tsp per 10 gallons or 10 drops per gallon. So, assuming your stock solution is twice the strength as Acriflavine-MS you would use 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) per 5 gallons or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) per 10 gallons for in-tank treatment.

^^ Or double that (1/2 teaspoon per 5 gals) for the 90 minute bath.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There are about 100 drops in 1 US teaspoon (5ml). Acriflavine-MS calls for 1 tsp per 10 gallons or 10 drops per gallon. So, assuming your stock solution is twice the strength as Acriflavine-MS you would use 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) per 5 gallons or 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) per 10 gallons for in-tank treatment.

^^ Or double that (1/2 teaspoon per 5 gals) for the 90 minute bath.

Thank you! That's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure!

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish what are your thoughts on prophylactically treating with Kana plexus while dosing Copper (Cuprion)? If I can't treat water during copper, will dosing in food in conjunction with focus cover external fungal and bacterial issues as well. Or am I better off waiting until copper is done then dosing in water separately?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Sticky (Original Post) has been edited with new info. Reflecting up to date procedures and currently available products etc.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often can you do a rally bath? Can I do one every day? I'm desperately trying to save a group of chromis that have uromena in my quarantine.
Alternatively can I add rally straight to the quarantine tank?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often can you do a rally bath? Can I do one every day? I'm desperately trying to save a group of chromis that have uromena in my quarantine.
Alternatively can I add rally straight to the quarantine tank?
As as I know you can add rally to the QT
You can call the makers directly by the way and they generally answer right away

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As as I know you can add rally to the QT
You can call the makers directly by the way and they generally answer right away
Tried calling them no answer. It does give instructions for in tank use on bottle but it also says not to use it with other medications and I have copper and metroplex in my quarantine tank

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used rally in a rally in a while. And looking at the bottle I see what you mean

How fast can you change out the QT tank

reefomatix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acriflavine

How To TreatAt present time, only one aquarium product is readily available which contains acriflavine: Ruby Reef Rally.

@Humblefish API Fungus Cure contains Acriflavine: http://apifishcare.com/product/fungus-cure (see page 4 of the safety data sheet: http://apifishcare.com/pdfs/products-us/fungus-cure/api-fungus-cure-safety-data-sheet.pdf). API does, however, only list this under their freshwater treatment products; I'm not sure why.

Would it be sufficient to Rally bath my fish and dose the QT so I don't have to setup another tank? My QT tank just cycled and don't want to have to start over again...

Coralqueendom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tested it, but I very much doubt acriflavine works on worms.
Acriflavine

What It TreatsThis is an antiseptic that is very useful for rendering “first aid” if a fish has a bacterial infection or to treat an open wound. It can also be used as part of a “three step program” for treating Marine Velvet Disease:

1)
5 minute freshwater dip
2) 90 minute acriflavine bath
3) 30 days of copper or Chloroquine phosphate in a Quarantine Tank (QT)

There is some anecdotal evidence that a 90 minute bath using Ruby Reef Rally, followed by transfer into a sterile Quarantine Tank, can clear Brooklynella aka clownfish disease. However, it is unclear whether the acriflavine or formalin Rally contains is the exact reason why. In any case, follow-up treatment using metronidazole in a QT is highly recommended for brook.

How To TreatAt present time, only one aquarium product is readily available which contains acriflavine: Ruby Reef Rally. It also contains aminoacridine (another antiseptic) and a small amount of formalin. I personally use Rally as a 90 minute bath, temperature controlling the water and providing plenty of aeration by using an air pump & air-stone. Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of bath & QT water match perfectly. Dosage for Bath is ~ 1 teaspoon of Rally per gallon of bath water.

ProsEffective “pre-treatment” before fish is placed in QT with copper, antibiotics, etc.; milder/safer alternative to using straight formalin (37% formaldehyde).

Cons/Side EffectsTurns the water an orange-brownish color, so probably not desirable for Quarantine or Display Tank use. Full range of positive effects and possible side effects are not completely understood at this time.
how often can acriflavine dips be used? once a week? multiple times? Using rally pro and copper right now to treat velvet

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back