Acriflavine

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acriflavine

What It TreatsThis is an antiseptic that is very useful for rendering “first aid” if a fish has a bacterial infection or to treat an open wound. It can also be used as part of a “three step program” for treating Marine Velvet Disease:

1) 5 minute freshwater dip
2) 90 minute acriflavine bath
3) 30 days of copper or Chloroquine phosphate in a Quarantine Tank (QT)

There is some anecdotal evidence that a 90 minute bath using Ruby Reef Rally, followed by transfer into a sterile Quarantine Tank, can clear Brooklynella aka clownfish disease. However, it is unclear whether the acriflavine or formalin Rally contains is the exact reason why. In any case, follow-up treatment using metronidazole in a QT is highly recommended for brook.

How To TreatAt present time, only one aquarium product is readily available which contains acriflavine: Ruby Reef Rally. It also contains aminoacridine (another antiseptic) and a small amount of formalin. I personally use Rally as a 90 minute bath, temperature controlling the water and providing plenty of aeration by using an air pump & air-stone. Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of bath & QT water match perfectly. Dosage for Bath is ~ 1 teaspoon of Rally per gallon of bath water.

ProsEffective “pre-treatment” before fish is placed in QT with copper, antibiotics, etc.; milder/safer alternative to using straight formalin (37% formaldehyde).

Cons/Side EffectsTurns the water an orange-brownish color, so probably not desirable for Quarantine or Display Tank use. Full range of positive effects and possible side effects are not completely understood at this time.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm...for a 90 minute Acriflavine bath using Ruby Reef Rally, use 2/3 tsp (3.3 ml) per 1 gallon?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm...for a 90 minute Acriflavine bath using Ruby Reef Rally, use 2/3 tsp (3.3 ml) per 1 gallon?

Yes, it's actually 0.6 tsp; but I've ramped Rally up to 1 tsp per gallon for 90 minutes with no ill effects.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My qt right now is
CP and then API General Cure at the end of the CP.
Should I add acriflavine at the beginning before CP?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My qt right now is
CP and then API General Cure at the end of the CP.
Should I add acriflavine at the beginning before CP?

depends what you are treating for. if you suspect velvet then yes.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing the proactive treatment or whatever its called.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing the proactive treatment or whatever its called.

Ok. It's fine to do a dip before QT. It's not going to hurt the fish and could help if they have velvet or brook coming in.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does acriflavine actually treat/kill any stage of velvet? How come the product is marketed as a medicine for velvet and explicitly says its not for treatment of ich. (Talking about ruby reef rally).

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does acriflavine actually treat/kill any stage of velvet? How come the product is marketed as a medicine for velvet and explicitly says its not for treatment of ich. (Talking about ruby reef rally).

There is no scientific evidence that acriflavine or aminoacridine treats parasites, as they are both antiseptics. And the tiny bit of formalin Rally contains probably doesn't have much of an impact either. Rally/acriflavine is more useful to ward off infection IMO; secondary bacterial infections are common when a fish has a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation. Sometimes the fish survives the parasite, but succumbs to the secondary infection. o_O

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no scientific evidence that acriflavine or aminoacridine treats parasites, as they are both antiseptics. And the tiny bit of formalin Rally contains probably doesn't have much of an impact either. Rally/acriflavine is more useful to ward off infection IMO; secondary bacterial infections are common when a fish has a preexisting parasitic or worm infestation. Sometimes the fish survives the parasite, but succumbs to the secondary infection. o_O
Hey i didnt know this thread already existed, so i made a new one. But id like to ask that as u said on my other thread, that there might be some sort of bacterial infection in my tank, and as claimed by ruby reef, that it wont affect the tank negatively except for the colouration (which can be removed via carbon) can i add it to my display? Will it also kill that thick bacterial/fungul film growing on some parts of my rocks and wavemaker?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i didnt know this thread already existed, so i made a new one. But id like to ask that as u said on my other thread, that there might be some sort of bacterial infection in my tank, and as claimed by ruby reef, that it wont affect the tank negatively except for the colouration (which can be removed via carbon) can i add it to my display? Will it also kill that thick bacterial/fungul film growing on some parts of my rocks and wavemaker?

IME; acriflavine is best used as a "first aid" antiseptic (in a bath) before the fish goes into QT to be treated with proper antibiotics. I've tried using it long-term in a QT and #1) The fish's condition doesn't seem to improve #2) The water gets fouled after 4-5 days.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; acriflavine is best used as a "first aid" antiseptic (in a bath) before the fish goes into QT to be treated with proper antibiotics. I've tried using it long-term in a QT and #1) The fish's condition doesn't seem to improve #2) The water gets fouled after 4-5 days.
Thank you..

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking two different products here? Rally should be used in a QT but hydoplex ( from same company) can be used as a ten minute dip and in Qt as well. I've used rally in my display tank and yes it does "cloud" the tank for a while but clears up

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back