Help with lionfish

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what's wrong with my lionfish...he seems to be more pale than normal. His tail fin kind of looks torn or like the webbing in between the spines is going away. He has also lost his normal appetite and his eyes looked a little cloudy. Can anyone tell me what's wrong and how to treat it?
uploadfromtaptalk1464498368941.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464498378818.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464498387031.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464498394405.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh, that's a bad case of ich. Look in that link Tahoe provided and pick a treatment. I would definitely hypo, copper or Chloroquine phosphate. I've also used Quinine Sulfate, under the name Cryptopro on an Antennata Lionfish with good results. This fish needs to come out for treatment.

Sometimes the first thing you notice with Ich and lions is their eyes become cloudy. Their skin will look all funky as well, because they shed that cuticle layer. When they are ill, they shed it over and over until their scales almost look dry. It's something I don't know how to explain. When they are not feeling well, they tend to look like they are "falling apart" with fins splitting and their filaments withering or falling off.

Your case is very advanced. How long has he not been eating well?

Do you have the means of getting him out to a hospital tank? Have you handled a hospital tank before?

Last edited:
OP
OP
wes_slavens

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only tank I have laying around is a 10 gallon that's not big enough is it? No I have never had a hospital tank but I do know that I can not have carbon in it

OP
OP
wes_slavens

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank do I need for a hospital tank his body is probably 5ish inches long. Do I need to worry about any of my other fish they don't seem to have any signs of anything yet. @Lionfish Lair

OP
OP
wes_slavens

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh, that's a bad case of ich. Look in that link Tahoe provided and pick a treatment. I would definitely hypo, copper or Chloroquine phosphate. I've also used Quinine Sulfate, under the name Cryptopro on an Antennata Lionfish with good results. This fish needs to come out for treatment.

Sometimes the first thing you notice with Ich and lions is their eyes become cloudy. Their skin will look all funky as well, because they shed that cuticle layer. When they are ill, they shed it over and over until their scales almost look dry. It's something I don't know how to explain. When they are not feeling well, they tend to look like they are "falling apart" with fins splitting and their filaments withering or falling off.

Your case is very advanced. How long has he not been eating well?

Do you have the means of getting him out to a hospital tank? Have you handled a hospital tank before?
Also do you think a FW dip would buy me any time?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! There's other fish in there? They all need to be treated, or the Ich will stay in your tank, waiting for him when he goes back. The links above are really good at going through that. They all need to come out, but they all can't go in a 10 gallon tank. How many other fish do you have?

But right now, where you're going to put the other fish for treatment isn't as important as getting the lion out to start his treatment. He needs it now. We can figure out what to do with the rest when we get him settled.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lionfish Lair In your experience, how tolerant are lionfish of copper treatment? I've read mixed results. I've treated a couple of lions with CP and both times they did well.

OP
OP
wes_slavens

wes_slavens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i just treat my whole 180? I have a panther grouper a huma huma trigger a Nigerian trigger fox face and a zebra moray. No inverts

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and that's 1.009 on salinity correct?

Yes. Treat for 30 consecutive days, and during that time the SG must always remain at 1.009. If it inches up even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts. For this reason, many people use an auto top off system while performing hyposalinity. Some have used hypo to successfully rid their display tank of ich, while others have failed (remember, hypo treats ich only!) All corals and inverts must be removed beforehand if you wish to try this.

Also, be sure to use a perfectly calibrated refractometer.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back