Help with my Red Leg Hermit Crab

ComicalSans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I need advice on what's going on. I know for certain that my red leg hermit crab, Ahab, is currently or just finished molting. It looks like his exo is partially stuck in his shell with him, and I don't know what to do to check this. He's looked about the same for the last 24hrs, perched on top of my live rock (both of my crabs like this spot because there's a bubble strip underneath diffusing bubbles through the rock), with the exo hanging almost completely out of the shell. At first I thought he might be eating it, which I read is normal and you should let them do that, but when I look closely, it doesn't seem like he is eating it. Both of the pinchers are laying down in the relaxed position while he looks at me waving his antenna up and down. Is he okay? Is there something I should do to help him, or is he just taking a little longer to molt? One of the legs of the exo looks like it's wedged in the shell with him, but I can't get a very good image of it with my phone camera. I'd be happy to try for anyone who needs it. Thanks in advance!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back