Help with photoperiod, intensity, spectrum...how to set it up?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have a cheap Lominie P30 (30ish w) led light. It has 4 channel and i have added a tc420 to control ramp up/down and channel separately.

The led are the ones you see in photo. I am trying to get the correct photoperiod with lenght, intensity, colors but being noob i end up changing too often and i'm sure that f...k up even more corals and possibly fish too.

I would like the light to be on from 8.00ish to 22.00ish since is when also room light are more often on. wich color? wich intensity? can you guys help me out find a good setting so that i can say to myself "ok, someone with experience told me is ok" and i stop touching it)

CH1 : 6 LED blue

-CH2 : 6 LED warm white

-CH3 : 3 LED blue + 2 LED royal blue + 1 LED purple (uv?)

-CH4 : 1pcs LEDgreen + 1pcs LED red + 4pcs LED white
1664823964084.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tend to look at it this way. What is the duration/intensity of light at the equator/tropics? I tend to have about 12 hours of light - which ramps up - to peak at 100percent at noon-1pm or so - and then slowly ramps down. As to the color - A PAR meter will help. The good news is that most any coral you buy - will adjust to your lighting - if you start slowly (I don't know if that light has a coral acclimation setting) - to allow you to slowly build intensity over a couple seeks to where you want ti. Remember there can be storms on the reefs lasting days - where the light is much different - and there are no ill effects. IMHO you're correct that constantly changing is going to be a problem. Best of luck - hope this helps

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back