Settings for a nicrew 150w

jm227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder and for the past year I’ve just been using a nicrew LED light that was like $50 on Amazon. Last week I found two nicrew 150w lights at a bin store for $10 each so I bought them. I figured they’d be a good upgrade but I have no idea how to set them up. So my questions are, do I need both of them for a 40B? How high should they be? What intensities of blue and white? I got the controller for them so I can program them however I need. I’m mostly wanting to keep lps and soft corals.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder and for the past year I’ve just been using a nicrew LED light that was like $50 on Amazon. Last week I found two nicrew 150w lights at a bin store for $10 each so I bought them. I figured they’d be a good upgrade but I have no idea how to set them up. So my questions are, do I need both of them for a 40B? How high should they be? What intensities of blue and white? I got the controller for them so I can program them however I need. I’m mostly wanting to keep lps and soft corals.
Light 15" wide and your tank is approx 36"
Lenses are likely around 90 degrees
So take 36 - 15 = 21
21 /2 = 10.5
Soo using one light and wanting full coverage of the water surface the light face should be about 10" off the water surface.
This is 2 100w but at 14" (I'd consider that a bit too high)
So your par levels will probably be higher.. even w less wattage.

Your color ratio is your preference and your intensity is what is fitting for what you are growing..

My point is one should do easily..
You will need to be cautious of over- lighting from your old lights.
Without an idea of your old lights hard to say anything about the new lights. .except...great deal....:)

He uses 35% white 100% blue ratio...
Just a vid for an idea .

OP
OP
J

jm227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light 15" wide and your tank is approx 36"
Lenses are likely around 90 degrees
So take 36 - 15 = 21
21 /2 = 10.5
Soo using one light and wanting full coverage of the water surface the light face should be about 10" off the water surface.
This is 2 100w but at 14" (I'd consider that a bit too high)
So your par levels will probably be higher.. even w less wattage.

Your color ratio is your preference and your intensity is what is fitting for what you are growing..

My point is one should do easily..
You will need to be cautious of over- lighting from your old lights.
Without an idea of your old lights hard to say anything about the new lights. .except...great deal....:)

He uses 35% white 100% blue ratio...
Just a vid for an idea .

Thanks for the help. Do you think it would be ok if I just started on a low setting and started acclimating the corals to a higher light setting? (octospawns, hammers, and a leather coral) how long would that take and how often should I increase the light intensity? Or should I just rent a par meter and start from there?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. Do you think it would be ok if I just started on a low setting and started acclimating the corals to a higher light setting? (octospawns, hammers, and a leather coral) how long would that take and how often should I increase the light intensity? Or should I just rent a par meter and start from there?
Hey renting a par meter is always the way to start...if one is available.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id recommend acclimating slowly. these lights pump out a surprising amount of par. maybe check current par with your current light and then try and match that with the new light? id get the nicrew controller to fine tune the settings.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back