Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, So I just ordered 2 of the 100W version along with a Kessil Spectral Controller X. I will be using these over my 40B. I should have the lights in a couple days and will get PAR readings by next weekend.
How did this turn out?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following I am thinking about buying these lights
For a frag tank and I already have a apex and a kessil controller

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, time for my impressions and and some PAR numbers. First off let me say that these fixtures are more substantial than I expected. They have some weight to them. I am going to compare these to the AI Hydra 26HD since that is a light I have used and am familiar with.

The Nicrew 100W fixture is a bit larger than the Hydras and weighs about the same. The LED clusters are not as tight, but sit under a large lens that seems to blend the colors quite well. There is very little color separation on my sand with these.

The included light stand is simple to assemble and seems sturdy enough. It is better suited for rimless, as it required some modification of my tanks trim AND the nuts on the light bracket. Once the modifications were complete, the lights were east to get on the tank and running.

The color produced is nice, though they do not appear to have as much of the deeper (royal) blue as I would like. None the less, the color is nice and crisp. The control out of the box is lacking with only 6 steps of intensity for each white and blue channel. While the lights can be used in this manner, it may be a limiting factor for some. With the use of 0-10V control, the color and intensity options are MUCH improved. When Using the spectral controller, "color" is actually controlling the intensity of the white channel and "intensity" is controlling the blue channel. I was able to set up a schedule with sunrise/sunset, ramping, clouds, etc. pretty easily, once I understood how to use the controller.

Overall, I am happy with the lights so far, quality seems better than expected, and they definitely provide plenty of PAR for anything I may choose to keep in my tank.

Now for the number. All measurements were taken with the stands in their highest position which puts them about 14" above my water line. All pumps were on, so the measurements are averages of changing values. The tank is a 40B (36"x 18"x16").

20210218_065901.jpg

20210217_210537.jpg

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, time for my impressions and and some PAR numbers. First off let me say that these fixtures are more substantial than I expected. They have some weight to them. I am going to compare these to the AI Hydra 26HD since that is a light I have used and am familiar with.

The Nicrew 100W fixture is a bit larger than the Hydras and weighs about the same. The LED clusters are not as tight, but sit under a large lens that seems to blend the colors quite well. There is very little color separation on my sand with these.

The included light stand is simple to assemble and seems sturdy enough. It is better suited for rimless, as it required some modification of my tanks trim AND the nuts on the light bracket. Once the modifications were complete, the lights were east to get on the tank and running.

The color produced is nice, though they do not appear to have as much of the deeper (royal) blue as I would like. None the less, the color is nice and crisp. The control out of the box is lacking with only 6 steps of intensity for each white and blue channel. While the lights can be used in this manner, it may be a limiting factor for some. With the use of 0-10V control, the color and intensity options are MUCH improved. When Using the spectral controller, "color" is actually controlling the intensity of the white channel and "intensity" is controlling the blue channel. I was able to set up a schedule with sunrise/sunset, ramping, clouds, etc. pretty easily, once I understood how to use the controller.

Overall, I am happy with the lights so far, quality seems better than expected, and they definitely provide plenty of PAR for anything I may choose to keep in my tank.

Now for the number. All measurements were taken with the stands in their highest position which puts them about 14" above my water line. All pumps were on, so the measurements are averages of changing values. The tank is a 40B (36"x 18"x16").

20210218_065901.jpg

20210217_210537.jpg

thank you for this up date. I will go ahead and order the 150w for my setup thanks for the info this looks great

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 2 x 100w for my 90 gallon

Will order the kessil x controller as well

What modifications did you have to do to the mounting arm for it to fit? Really hoping i dont need to do anything.

I will make a detailed video and put it up on youtube once i get these.

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210218_065901.jpg

20210217_210537.jpg
how many watts would you recommend for a 29-gallon reef tank?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What modifications did you have to do to the mounting arm for it to fit? Really hoping i dont need to do anything.

I had to cut a small portion of the tank trim to make room for the light mount to slip over it. It was easy to do with a sharp razor knife in just a few minutes. As for the mount modification, the screws that you tighten to grip the tank have little plastic nuts on the end. These nuts has a little lip at the base that was barely too big to go under the lip of the tank trim. I just used a dremel and removed that little lip from the nuts and it worked perfectly. This may not be an issue for every tank, but is was on my Tetra brand 40B. It seems to have larger trim than the Aqueon tanks.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many watts would you recommend for a 29-gallon reef tank?
I would probably get either 2 x 30W lights, or 2 x 50W (if you plan on Acros) so I could position them a little further apart and light the tank evenly.. I don't think the 100W will cover the entire tank.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Curious as to why you picked these over a Reefbreeder or AI Prime since with the Kessil controller they are close to the total same price? Perhaps you would have to get the Reefbreeder Photon 32 which is substantially more?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to why you picked these over a Reefbreeder or AI Prime since with the Kessil controller they are close to the total same price? Perhaps you would have to get the Reefbreeder Photon 32 which is substantially more?
I seriously considered the 32" Reefbreeders Photon V2+, but ultimately decided on these for 2 reasons.

1. I wanted to give a new product a try. One with very little info available, but seemed like a viable option. I figured that if for some reason I did not like them, I could switch to something else later.

2. I have seen several videos and posts mentioning that there is a decent amount of color separation (disco ball effect) with the Photon due to the large spread of the LED's and their individual lenses.

I Tried the Primes on a previous 40B and was not happy with the power or spread for that tank size and ended up getting 2 x Hydra 26HD instead. I am hoping to not spend that much to light this tank.

tdi64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be just me but i can seem to find the 30 watt hyper reef ? Was hoping to try it on my evo. Anyone have a link thank u

emsilkina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely run 2 100 watts on that tank, are you growing SPS? Bc with 2 50ws on my 25 gallon I've seen a good amount of growth on my frags so far.
I have a similar sized tank as you but I ordered 1 100 watt light. Would it be better if I had 2 50 watts light instead?

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using round figures below

Reef breeders $400 each unit
Mounting arm $100 each
($400x2)+($100x2) = $1,000

AI Prime 32's are also $375 each unit
Mounting arm $100 each
Built in contoller
($375x2) + ($100x2) = $950

Nicrew 100w is $135 each unit
Mounting arm included
Kessil controller (can contol up to 12 units.. i may need to buy a cable for $25)
($135x2)+$100+$25= $395

Note: my prices may be slightly off... not the math but the prices...

Rationale:

I plan on keeping some LPS and Softies. Maybe some SPS.

From the looks of it, the lights meet the par requirements to grow corals.

The nicrew comes with a 1 year warranty, not sure what kind of warranty the "branded" lights come with.

I am sure there will be folks who say 'well you get what you pay for' etc.

Next time you are at your local fish store look at the lights they have on the 'display' tank or on top of the coral; the corals survive, some thrive. Also want to make a point that i am not planning on keeping high end corals that cost ridiculous amounts. Maybe, just maybe, i can put the $500 saved towards getting enough coral and fish to stock the tank? Maybe some GME stock? Haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back