Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All grown from small frags under Nicrew Hyper Reef lighting (supplemented with T5). These are in my 125g which is about 14-15 months old now.

IMG_1465.jpeg IMG_1467.jpeg IMG_1529.jpeg IMG_1537.jpeg IMG_1538.jpeg IMG_1540.jpeg
Nice! However the T5 * is pretty important haha, any LEDs will “grow” coral with banking t5s doing all the work

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nice! However the T5 * is pretty important haha, any LEDs will “grow” coral with banking t5s doing all the work

That's fair. However, the tank was solely lit by LED for the vast majority of the growth that I had at the time. I've since changed the lighting up a bit. I pulled the two 100w nicrews and replaced them with a pair of 250w metal halides (which is still my preferred lighting for sps). So now I'm running 4x50w nicrews, 2x250w metal halide, and 2x80w T5. It's a ton of light now that I think about it. Lol.

These nicrews really are great lights, and are definitely underrated/under appreciated. They will grow whatever you want just fine. My only knock on them, and this isn't nicrew specific, is aesthetics. I still prefer the look of halides much more than any LED that I've ever seen or tried myself.

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is looking to connect this bad boy to apex for cheap -

I successfully connected to apex using one of these 4 pole 3.5mm to speaker wire. Basically cut the end of an ethernet cable and use the wires from pins 3-ground, 4-Left or White and 8-Right or Blue. ONLY 3 WIRES. The ethernet cable's (cat5) wires are color coded so you can easily see which wire is which pin. The adapter is also clearly marked Left, Right, Ground, and 24v. YOU DO NOT NEED THE 24V.

Various cables on bulk reef etc will not work because they are 3pole stereo plugs.

Here is a picture of the adapter -
1629983421383.png
I’m wondering if this would be even simpler? Or no because it has the 24v? Or wires have to be placed a certain way?
TraderPlus 2 Pack 3.5mm Stereo Audio to RJ45 Female Socket Adapter Extender Over Cat5/6 https://a.co/d/6moGvL4

Attachments

• IMG_2474.png
    IMG_2474.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 40

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if this would be even simpler? Or no because it has the 24v? Or wires have to be placed a certain way?
TraderPlus 2 Pack 3.5mm Stereo Audio to RJ45 Female Socket Adapter Extender Over Cat5/6 https://a.co/d/6moGvL4
I'd just go with the Kessil to Apex cable. I had a pair of Nicrew 150's and that did it just fine.

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i suppose for a mixed reef it doesn't need to be super powerful par but i do have some sps and i would like to know how much par these things put out for the future so many budget leds im torn between these nicrew hyperreefs the ocean revive and the noopsyche k7
I’ve had both lights on my IM15. I eventually replaced them with Kessil A360WE.

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just go with the Kessil to Apex cable. I had a pair of Nicrew 150's and that did it just fine.
Okay cool that’s what I’m going to do not only is it cheaper to do the cable instead of the Nicrew controller it makes it easy to use with my apex

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not try the lego because i was worried about the weight distribution of the screws putting strain on a single spot on the glass. This solution spreads out the pressure points.

This solution is also clear/not noticeable while evenly distributing the load.

This is also turn key for the buyer and works on most mounts that generally do not fit on a rimmed tank.

I have a

HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light​

And this solution also works on the hipagero.

No cutting, sanding etc. Pretty much turn key. Shipped to your home. Still cheaper than buying another mount or going with a branded light.
You still selling these?

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some advice from other reefer on this forum I was able to successfully add my nicrews to my apex with the kessil cable from neptune.

Attachments

• 20240227_081321.jpg
    20240227_081321.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 30

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were great until I was cleaning the glass tops for my tank and so they were in the kitchen and the mounting bracket decided to come lose and drop one of the nicrews right into the tank. That unit is now toast.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it worked out. Hopefully it was as easy overall!
i find easier ways to do things on the apex after doing it the hard way first. i was waiting for the kessil cable to come in so i tried to program. wish i would have waiting the wizard option is so much easier than writing code and using profiles.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back