Nicrew hyper reef gen2 100w or Popbloom rl115

  • Thread starter Thread starter angsess
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

angsess

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2026
Messages
40
Reaction score
26
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank will be 3ftx2ftx16 in deep. I want a mixed reef with the ability to get into sps eventually. Should I do 2 nicrew hyper reef gen 2 100w with the controller or 2 Popbloom hl115?

Are there any other options you would suggest in the same price range or a little more?
 
I've used them both, I find the color they put out is very similar, not too blue which I like. I've grown anything under these lights, they both work very well. However I don't like the popbloom app its pretty bad. I didn't get the nicrew controller so I can't comment on that.
 
My new tank will be 3ftx2ftx16 in deep. I want a mixed reef with the ability to get into sps eventually. Should I do 2 nicrew hyper reef gen 2 100w with the controller or 2 Popbloom hl115?

Are there any other options you would suggest in the same price range or a little more?
in my opinion nicrew would be better, they're quieter and more reliable, great lights like a less expensive radion
 
in my opinion nicrew would be better, they're quieter and more reliable, great lights like a less expensive radion
I am thinking this is the case. I am concerned about the lack of app control. Do you know anything about the controller? Does it do everything I would need it to do to able to dial in the lighting?

I am also concerned about whether getting budget lights mean making compromises I'll regret. Its hard to know sometimes in this hobby when I "need" to pay more for the premium option or the "budget" option is just fine.
 
I am thinking this is the case. I am concerned about the lack of app control. Do you know anything about the controller? Does it do everything I would need it to do to able to dial in the lighting?

I am also concerned about whether getting budget lights mean making compromises I'll regret. Its hard to know sometimes in this hobby when I "need" to pay more for the premium option or the "budget" option is just fine.
the controller is very nice and even without it the buttons are pretty versatile but I definetly reccomend the controller its similar to app controllers, as far as "need" to pay more for premium options, I personally use nicrew lights and find they have same quality as more expensive options and are even a bit queiter, and they're very good power for their price, I've grown acros with them and even acros with the smaller nicrew navareef 65 in my 5 gallon when it was running a year ago
 
Last edited:
the controller is very nice and even without it the buttons are pretty versatile but I definetly reccomend the controller its similar to app controllers, as far as "need" to pay more for premium options, I personally use nicrew lights and find they have same quality as more expensive options and are even a bit queiter, and they're very good power for their price, I've grown acros with them and even acros with the smaller nicrew navareef 65 in my 5 gallon when it was running a year ago
Honestly, based on everything I have read I think you are right. Do you think 2 100s is going to be sufficient?
 
the controller is very nice and even without it the buttons are pretty versatile but I definetly reccomend the controller its similar to app controllers, as far as "need" to pay more for premium options, I personally use nicrew lights and find they have same quality as more expensive options and are even a bit queiter, and they're very good power for their price, I've grown acros with them and even acros with the smaller nicrew navareef 65 in my 5 gallon when it was running a year ago
Honestly, based on everything I have read I think you are right. Do you think 2 100s is going to be sufficient?
Definitely 😀
 
Have you considered the 100w noopsyche K7 pro IV ? They are cheaper than the Nicrew and have an app so you don't need a controller. I believe most say the light spectrum is better than the Nicrews also.
 
I use the Nicrew HyperReef 200 on a 3 ft tank and I have zero issues and it grows coral. I do have the controller which is extremely similar to a Kessil controller which I used on my old setup. Physical control is always better than an app.
 
I use two Nicrew HyperReef 100 gen 2s on my new 125. Dead quiet and they put out a really pleasing spectrum (I personally like a more natural whiter light). The controller is great too.

1000034788.jpg


FWIW I use a Nicrew 65W on my 14 gallon frag tank and get really good results with it there too. The 65W does run a tad more blue but I still like it.

1000034800.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new