Ants

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nordy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Nordy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Messages
852
Reaction score
925
Location
East Wenatchee Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good-morning,
My house was built in the ‘70’s, and there are four types of ants I’ve seen throughout the property. The invasive, tough to deal with ones are the odoriferous ants. I won’t call a pest control specialist to exterminate. In the past, I’ve used gel bait traps, and they worked for a while, however, after reading a few tips online, I think they are resistant to those types of baits, seeking other food sources, and more than likely split into several new colonies, and they like moisture. I’m going to go to war with the little nuisances, and my plan of attack will be vinegar and cayenne pepper. I’ve sealed a few noticeable entry points, but they love my basement, bathroom, and tank room. They also love my electrical outlets. Taken measures of cleanliness and minimal food sources, less water left behind after showers and sink use, but anywhere there is water, these guys are prevailing. My concern with the use of poisons is; I see these guys in my ATO reservoirs, so I’m cautious in use with baits. Have any of you dealt with these pests and had success eradicating them naturally without chemicals and toxins? I think an impenetrable house with zero entry points is key, but not attainable here. I did see a mosquito eater land on one once, maybe that is a natural predator? If those are in the house, I’ll catch em, clip there wings and feed them to my daughter’s pet Western Fence Lizard.
 
What does this have to do with reefing?

Are you having to bomb your house and have a tank ?

Seeking guidance on what fish or corals might eat said ants?

What is this post even?
200.gif


Edit. Now I see, you have them getting into your ato.

I need to read more thoroughly, lesson learned.
 
I understand what you are asking. Last year I had a problem with Japanese Beetles getting in my sump constantly. We were still rebuilding our house, couldn’t keep them out. Those things are toxic by themselves, It scared me pulling them out every day. I have used Borax and sugar together, but borax is also a toxin. But maybe you could bait them far from the tank.
 
I have ants & scorpions and would have roaches, except for the scorpions eating them.

I put a chemical barrier on the outside of home. In one case, ants entered thru vent pipe in bathroom. Apparently, they bred & swarmed as flying ants with first light. I closed the door and aerosol bombed the room. Next I removed some tile to examine interior walls. It was then that I realized that the ants were coming thru the vent pipe. I then went on the roof and insecticide all vent pipes. That was two years ago.

I occasionally get June bugs in sumps.
 
I have ants & scorpions and would have roaches, except for the scorpions eating them.

I put a chemical barrier on the outside of home. In one case, ants entered thru vent pipe in bathroom. Apparently, they bred & swarmed as flying ants with first light. I closed the door and aerosol bombed the room. Next I removed some tile to examine interior walls. It was then that I realized that the ants were coming thru the vent pipe. I then went on the roof and insecticide all vent pipes. That was two years ago.

I occasionally get June bugs in sumps.

Used to collect June bugs out of the sump on a regular or from the tank. I now have a Bug zapper light device. The darn thing scares me in the evenings. Hahaha.

Tank is in my detached garage. So it’s all quiet at times, and a larger bug gets in it and the zapper goes off pretty loud haha!
 
What does this have to do with reefing?

Are you having to bomb your house and have a tank ?

Seeking guidance on what fish or corals might eat said ants?

What is this post even?
200.gif


Edit. Now I see, you have them getting into your ato.

I need to read more thoroughly, lesson learned.
Reading Drags GIF
 
Ironically, I am having a similar issue currently with outdoor aviaries for my birds I keep. I have what I believe are crazy ants (Nylanderia fulva), that are swarming the food bowls. The best solution Ive been able to come up with my application is borax and suger (4:1) and water into a liquid. I put this in a soft drink bottle with 1 small hol cut in it. The ants come in and drink it, and drown or die in the bottle. You can make a drier mixture in hopes they "take it home", but Ive found TONS just in the liquid concoction. Ive also had success with coating a barrier in petroleum jelly. The ants cannot traverse it. However, its MESSY.

All this being said, as stated by @BuffaloLake , boax isnt something you want in your ATO either, so you'd want to amke sure any ingested material didnt make its way in.
 
Also these little nemesis’s crawl on my face at night. Maybe since I breathe out of my mouth in sleep, they are attracted to respiration transpiration. Hygiene is good, however, the 1:30 wake up of “ Ants in your pants, and doing the boogie dance,” is not favorite way to start the day.
 
Alpine WSG is the proper treatment outdoors and/or indoors. The treatment is safe if applied locally as needed and allowed to dry.

If you are concerned about transfer to the ATO from ants crawling in, then I would put a lid on the ATO or surround it with glue strips until the colonies have been eradicated.
 
Last edited:
Good-morning,
My house was built in the ‘70’s, and there are four types of ants I’ve seen throughout the property. The invasive, tough to deal with ones are the odoriferous ants. I won’t call a pest control specialist to exterminate. In the past, I’ve used gel bait traps, and they worked for a while, however, after reading a few tips online, I think they are resistant to those types of baits, seeking other food sources, and more than likely split into several new colonies, and they like moisture. I’m going to go to war with the little nuisances, and my plan of attack will be vinegar and cayenne pepper. I’ve sealed a few noticeable entry points, but they love my basement, bathroom, and tank room. They also love my electrical outlets. Taken measures of cleanliness and minimal food sources, less water left behind after showers and sink use, but anywhere there is water, these guys are prevailing. My concern with the use of poisons is; I see these guys in my ATO reservoirs, so I’m cautious in use with baits. Have any of you dealt with these pests and had success eradicating them naturally without chemicals and toxins? I think an impenetrable house with zero entry points is key, but not attainable here. I did see a mosquito eater land on one once, maybe that is a natural predator? If those are in the house, I’ll catch em, clip there wings and feed them to my daughter’s pet Western Fence Lizard.
Vinegar and cayenne may temporarily disrupt ant trails, but they will not eliminate an odoriferous-house-ant colony. Focus on moisture control, sealing entry points, wiping trails with soapy water, and keeping ATO reservoirs tightly covered.extension.
Avoid placing any bait, powder, or liquid near the tank, reservoir, or electrical outlets. If activity continues, use enclosed sweet ant-bait stations only in dry, inaccessible areas away from the aquarium.
 
Best thing I've found for dealing with ants are home made bait traps using sugar, water, and Borax. They take the bait back to their nest killing everything including the Queen and babies.

Here's an example:


Good luck!
 
I keep more unusual birds than most.

IMG_5387.jpeg


IMG_0953.JPG
That is incredible that you keep toucans! I don't think I have seen someone keep those before (except for a pet store in florida)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new